Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:34 am 

zuluchas wrote:
Openafs works well for sharing files between solaris, irix, linux, windows, mac, xbsd, and more.

Thanks ... sigh. I was hoping to not have several different file systems to run and maintain :(

Stinking Mickeysoft, can they do anything right ? Besides drive decent companies out of business, I mean ?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:05 am 

hamei wrote:
zuluchas wrote:
Openafs works well for sharing files between solaris, irix, linux, windows, mac, xbsd, and more.

Thanks ... sigh. I was hoping to not have several different file systems to run and maintain :(

Stinking Mickeysoft, can they do anything right ? Besides drive decent companies out of business, I mean ?

They seem to have marketing down...

FWIW Sun, SGI and DEC bear the large chunk of the blame for their failure. Sure, two of them made the dumb mistake of trusting MS, but they all refused to adapt to the idea that they would need to survive on lower hardware profit margins.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:27 pm 

SAQ wrote:
... they all refused to adapt to the idea that they would need to survive on lower hardware profit margins.

Epic failure of the American psyche. Believe it or not, thirty years ago people owned companies and cared about them. There were low-growth, long-term income stocks and speculative get-rich-quick-if-you're-lucky stocks.

Then the Establishment trained the imbecile public that making everything into a get-rich-quick scenario was The Way of the Future and it was all lost. The stock market should be abolished. The only companies I know with a real future are privately owned. Corporate raiders, hedge funds managers and their ilk should be a capital offense. Line the bastards up against a wall and shoot them. All of them. They have destroyed the United States and tried to destroy the world. Banks and finance, tools of the devil.

"We still make things, Mr Blair."

CEO's are a world unto themselves. They get lucky (and manipulate the news and the markets) and get rich. They destroy companies and walk away with millions. They get fired and walk away with millions. "We have to pay big money for the good people !" Right. And I'm the queen of Sheba. Nobody cares about the company or the country any more, just how much can they bleed from its poor leech-infested corpse this one last time. Look at SGI and think "Bozo Ewald." I can't think of a clearer example of where the US is going to end up. Soon.

There's nothing left. They robbed everyone. It's an empty shell.

Anyway, nobody has ever been able to make Mickeysoft's crap NFS client work even halfway decently ? We have 86,421 stupid foss projects that only compile with gcc but no good nfs client for Windows ? :shock:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:51 pm 

I've used the cygwin nfs server without complaint but I've also heard for a windows nfs client you must pay for it. There is an nfs client built in to some versions of windows but there are so many IDK which is which anymore. I think you need the windows that comes in a blue or black box? ;)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:29 am 

hamei wrote:
Anyway, nobody has ever been able to make Mickeysoft's crap NFS client work even halfway decently ? We have 86,421 stupid foss projects that only compile with gcc but no good nfs client for Windows ? :shock:

Windows 7 professional and ultimate (enterprise?) come with NFS clients off the box, it works just fine. If you are with XP, I believe the services for unix pack can be downloaded for free an it includes NFS connectivity.

And yes, there are foss projects to enable NFS connectivity on windows:

http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv ... eadme.html

But they are obviously stupid, you should show them how it is done :roll: . There is also this thing called SAMBA...

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:17 pm 

R-ten-K wrote:
Windows 7 professional and ultimate (enterprise?) come with NFS clients off the box, it works just fine. If you are with XP, I believe the services for unix pack can be downloaded for free an it includes NFS.

Windows Services for Unix is a free download: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=274

Includes a NFS server what I have intalled in my Windows Home Server V1 (Win server 2003) that share my files to my SGIs. Never got the NFS client working. I tried one time a few years ago but was too difficult to configure, but now there are some guides on the net.

http://unixverse.blogspot.com

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:58 pm 

R-ten-K wrote:
If you are with XP, I believe the services for unix pack can be downloaded for free an it includes NFS connectivity.

Microsoft's documentation is a little inconsistent about it, but you need XP Pro (or W2k or Server 2003) to run SFU 3.5. It doesn't work on XP Home.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:04 am 

josehill wrote:
Microsoft's documentation is a little inconsistent about it, but you need XP Pro (or W2k or Server 2003) to run SFU 3.5. It doesn't work on XP Home.

Thanks, Joe. Still pretty awful but there are more helpul sites from people with the same problem, and this was some help :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... .aspx#EFAA

Boy am I glad don't use Windows. This thing is a dog but it'll have to do.

R10, the UMich project only works on

stupid michigan site wrote:
Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows 7 (Windows XP and previous versions are not supported)
(requires) Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
(requires) Windows Driver Development Kit (WinDDK 6000 or later)

And yes, I don't have to have a Master's license to know that driving your ship with 20' draft over a sandbar 16' deep is stupid. Been taking a few days to try to get some stuff working and damn, the software world is crap. I mean CRAP !! A few packages and their authors are great - xpdf, graphics magick, some others. But most of them, gee-whillikers ! What garbage. I'm not talking complicated problems, I'm talking missing files in the package, Makefiles that direct make to go places that don't exist, no list of dependencies ANYWHERE in tons of packages, every time you turn around gcc gcc gcc jammed down your throat, no quality control whatsoever, just junk junk junk. If "free" means "as in speech" then WHY do those dorks insist on jamming gcc and gcc "features" down our throats ? Answer me that, eh ? Freedom means I don't have to use their choices, I can use my choice. So this is like 1930's Germany, pretty nice place to live as long as you're a nazi ...

Here's a little secret : when people bring me stuff to make, it goes out the door matching the print. Diameter, length, width, height, shape, material, heat treatment, the entire ball of wax. The part fits and serves its purpose. It does its job as designed and I get the amount of money I quoted and if it doesn't function as promised, I get to either fix it or give the money back. I don't claim to own the thing forever after and if the buyer sells it to his friend fifteen years later, that's their business. Software = shit.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:40 am 

Quote:
fits and serves its purpose. It does its job as designed and I get the amount of money I quoted and if it doesn't function as promised, I get to either fix it or give the money back.
Sounds like you want some sort of apple product...

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:08 am 

guardian452 wrote:

Not really. I just want to not have to see this kind of thing ...

Code:
cc-1238 CC: ERROR File = fltk3/OverlayWindow.cxx, Line = 139
  The function "fltk3::OverlayWindow::draw_overlay" is inaccessible.

w->draw_overlay();
       ^

cc-1070 CC: ERROR File = fltk3/OverlayWindow.cxx, Line = 148
  The indicated type is incomplete.

overlay_ = new _Fl_Overlay(0,0,w(),h());
                      ^
cc-1018 CC: ERROR File = fltk3/OverlayWindow.cxx, Line = 148
  An unmatched left parentheses "(" appears in an expression.

^

Is that too much to ask ? Trains run on the same tracks all over the United States and Canada and Mexico. They don't fall off the tracks every time they cross a state border or anything. If the railroads could get it together, shouldn't our brilliant high-tech computer scientists be able to manage a similar earth-shaking feat ?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:23 am 

hamei wrote:
Is that too much to ask ? Trains run on the same tracks all over the United States and Canada and Mexico. They don't fall off the tracks every time they cross a state border or anything. If the railroads could get it together, shouldn't our brilliant high-tech computer scientists be able to manage a similar earth-shaking feat ?

I think we all know why. Two main reasons: general laziness (it works, why do more?) and/or vendor lock-in.

Arete has lost its influence.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:43 am 

hamei wrote:
And yes, I don't have to have a Master's license to know that driving your ship with 20' draft over a sandbar 16' deep is stupid. Been taking a few days to try to get some stuff working and damn, the software world is crap. I mean CRAP !! A few packages and their authors are great - xpdf, graphics magick, some others. But most of them, gee-whillikers ! What garbage. I'm not talking complicated problems, I'm talking missing files in the package, Makefiles that direct make to go places that don't exist, no list of dependencies ANYWHERE in tons of packages, every time you turn around gcc gcc gcc jammed down your throat, no quality control whatsoever, just junk junk junk. If "free" means "as in speech" then WHY do those dorks insist on jamming gcc and gcc "features" down our throats ? Answer me that, eh ? Freedom means I don't have to use their choices, I can use my choice. So this is like 1930's Germany, pretty nice place to live as long as you're a nazi ...

Here's a little secret : when people bring me stuff to make, it goes out the door matching the print. Diameter, length, width, height, shape, material, heat treatment, the entire ball of wax. The part fits and serves its purpose. It does its job as designed and I get the amount of money I quoted and if it doesn't function as promised, I get to either fix it or give the money back. I don't claim to own the thing forever after and if the buyer sells it to his friend fifteen years later, that's their business. Software = shit.

The modern world seems to be such a scary place to some of you... :roll:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:54 pm 

hamei wrote:
guardian452 wrote:

Not really. I just want to not have to see this kind of thing ...

Code:
cc-1238 CC: ERROR File = fltk3/OverlayWindow.cxx, Line = 139
  The function "fltk3::OverlayWindow::draw_overlay" is inaccessible.

w->draw_overlay();
       ^

cc-1070 CC: ERROR File = fltk3/OverlayWindow.cxx, Line = 148
  The indicated type is incomplete.

^
cc-1018 CC: ERROR File = fltk3/OverlayWindow.cxx, Line = 148
  An unmatched left parentheses "(" appears in an expression.

^

Oooohhhhh you can do that on a mac just as well. but in style... ;)

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:16 am 

R-ten-K wrote:
The modern world seems to be such a scary place to some of you... :roll:

I realize that was meant to be snotty but ... well ... "why is your revenue flat ?"
some hi-tech buffoon wrote:
Yes. Another way to think about this is in many quarters, we would have a bunch of them that would actually move down the CPC, a bunch of them that would have moved up in click. It just happens that in the latter part of this year, they kind of all moved one way, which is not neither good nor bad. It just happens that the quality team and the advertising teams actually have kind of unearthed these type of opportunities. So it’s a bit of circumstantial as well.

... in case that wasn't clear enough ..
another extremely well-known blithering idiot wrote:
I can take, say, a little bit about CPC from my perspective. I think — and I don’t have the detail here, quarter or whatever, but I do think that CPCs — do vary a fair amount, and we’re not surprised by that. There are lots of product changes that we can make that can increase CPCs or decrease CPCs and kind of have a — or an inverse effect on the number of clicks and sort of not change the actual dollars spent, for example. And that’s not that surprising because we can do things that — in product changes that affect people’s attention to ads that Susan mentioned or that affect the quality of the conversions that advertises receive. They might receive better quality clicks, or they’re — or those — each CPC that they got that’s more likely to convert into what they care about. And so we are constantly optimizing all those things across a number of different product areas and ad placements and everything else. And our advertisers are doing the same, and the algorithms are also doing all that. So I think in any healthy economic — economy, like we have of advertising, we’re going to see variation in the different factors we use to measure it. And I’m not surprised by that.

These are direct quotes from the people running your biggest, bestest, most famous companies. These are the people the United States looks up to to create the "service economy" and "create jobs." These are the people who couldn't speak a simple, complete sentence in English if their fucking lives depended on it. These are the buffoons you put your faith in. This is the best the United States has to offer.

Yeah. When you come right down to it, the modern world is a scary place for some of us. If the best you can find to run your country is only slightly less retarded than a chimpanzee with Down's syndrome, I'm scared. I admit it.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:00 am 

hamei wrote:
These are direct quotes from the people running your biggest, bestest, most famous companies. These are the people the United States looks up to to create the "service economy" and "create jobs." These are the people who couldn't speak a simple, complete sentence in English if their fucking lives depended on it. These are the buffoons you put your faith in. This is the best the United States has to offer.

Thanks for sharing those quotes, hamei. I, ahem, googled them, and it was pretty appalling; I recognized a lot of the tone from analyst calls in other industries, including my own. In my experience, whenever I've encountered Really Smart People (TM) talking this way, it's been a good time to think about shorting the stock or finding a new job.

I think that I mentioned in an earlier thread a tech "innovation" conference I once attended. I left half way through, since I realized that every "hot" startup, indeed just about every company at the event, was really about developing new/better ad channels or developing new ways to collect/analyze data which were little more than "I need a fancy graph based on some whizzy new algorithm that no one on our board of directors has ever heard of so that I can convince them to keep me on board long enough to make my bonus before we all crash and burn." Bo-ring. I actually wouldn't have had too much of a problem if the conference had been publicized as a "Tech Innovation in the Advertising Business" conference, but it really was supposed to be a general conference. Those were just the companies that were getting funded and actually showed up. I have nothing against advertising; it's important. I'm just more interested in actually having/making things worth advertising.

I agreed with hamei about something. I need a drink.

Is Solaris 11 worth the hassle?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next