Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: libjpeg : what to do ?
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:23 pm 

The libjpeg in nekoware is version 6b. The newest one available is version 8d..Normally this is not a problem, one just updates the library ... and if the libraries are incompatible, then they install both, with different names e.g. gtk and gtk2, lcms and lcms2, etc etc.

However ....

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=638543

happens here, too. Everything I tried breaks. However, some programs are (eventually) going to insist upon the latest greatest ... what is the best way to deal with this situation ?

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:18 pm 

My Octane is currently down for upgrades (DMediaPro2 w/ a VBOB, Dual Channel Display and upping main memory to 8 gigs :shock:), but I will take a look at this in the next few days. Also, still working on Dillo... :P

World domination! Or something...

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:45 pm 

vishnu wrote:
My Octane is currently down for upgrades (DMediaPro2 w/ a VBOB, Dual Channel Display and upping main memory to 8 gigs :shock:) :P

Your Octane has more memory than my entire family :)

I'm starting to get an idea what to do ... seems that this stupidity also blew up Open Office, some digital camera app, Google Chrome, and a whole bunch of other apps. My preferred solution at this point is a 45 caliber bullet equidistant between Mr Tom Lane's eyes. WTF do these people use for brains ?

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issue ... l?id=31427

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:19 pm 

I think the right thing to do is to switch to libjpeg-turbo http://libjpeg-turbo.virtualgl.org/, and compile that with JPEG_LIB_VERSION 62. It's noticeably faster than the bog standard libjpeg (even without the fancy x86/sse/mmx ASM), and 100% compatible (creates bit for bit identical output compared to the old, standard libjpeg in all my tests). I'm using it on IRIX since last October without any negative effects. I seem to have neglected to make a nekoware package, I'll try to rectify that soon (when version 1.2 is released).

There are some programs that require the newer 8.x API, but so far the only one I've encountered is ioquake3, and that brings its own libjpeg source and can be linked statically against that.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:12 pm 

According to Tom Lane's wikipedia page:

Libjpeg has recently been superseded by turbo-jpeg since libjpeg broke compatibility with the older libraries at version 7, putting Open Office, Google Chrome, Image Magick and other base applications in the awkward position of requiring upgrades to all the software on a computer. http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=31427

World domination! Or something...

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

vishnu wrote:
According to Tom Lane's wikipedia page:

Wikipedia's libjpeg page goes a step further and adds the following:

Quote:
Libjpeg-turbo doesn't suffer from this incompatibility, hence it was easier to change libraries rather than deal with the Independent JPEG Group's arrogance.

Ouch!

All Rights Reserved.