Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:28 pm 

Been looking around for this one - as I understand it was released as public domain in the 4D1-3.2 days by NASA Ames and has since disappeared except for the company that wants $750 and a lot of bother to get a copy of the source code.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:38 pm 

Not sure what you are talking about but how about the wayback machine..not there either? Too old, is it?

R.

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

@PymbleSoftware
Current Apps -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:54 am 

Google turned this up:
http://darkside.cometway.com/content.ag ... e&name=001

The site with the ElectroPaint source (incl. panel) is still in the Wayback machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/200602100607 ... y/igl.html

And, last (but not least): the original release is still in the comp.sys.sgi archives, as a set of 6 SHAR files.
Seach for author: "David A. Tristram" in comp.sys.sgi, around Aug. 18th 1988. There's an announcement for a newer release, but it's not posted to the newsgroup. But there's also this: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys ... d56a61b071 If you follow those clues you might find the newer release. Or maybe you can extract it from the Electropaint code.

Good luck hunting!

Attachments:
igl_0.1.7.zip [273.3 KiB]
Downloaded 34 times

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2:(2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum: almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted: GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:40 am 

I did try Google, but I guess I was being too specific. Whole bunch of hits on the paper in which Tristram describes it, the company that wanted $750, the announcement with the shar attachments scrubbed, and a bit of ElectroPaint code that had the panel library as an #include.

What did you use for your search, Jan?

I don' t need anything too new, I'm mostly interested in pulling together some interesting period software for the 4D.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:11 am 

SAQ wrote:
What did you use for your search, Jan?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sgi+panel+library :mrgreen:

Hit #2 looked interesting (regardless of whether it solved your question) so I read the page. From there on it's easy.
SAQ wrote:
I don' t need anything too new, I'm mostly interested in pulling together some interesting period software for the 4D.

A 'locate panel' on my file server turned up a forgotten mirror copy of what I suspect was ftp.brl.mil (long gone). There are some other packages there, plus old list archives of comp.sys.sgi

I put it everything on my FTP server: ftp://ftp.jurassic.nl/pub/info-iris/

Have fun!

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2:(2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum: almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted: GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:14 pm 

SAQ wrote:
... it was released as public domain in the 4D1-3.2 days by NASA Ames and has since disappeared except for the company that wants $750 and a lot of bother to get a copy of the source code.

Those people should be disemboweled. All NASA code is public domain by law, but of course no one actually pays attention to that little detail. The entire "technology transfer" program is an illegal ripoff of the American taxpayers.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:58 pm 

The Panel Library is in the GRASS source up to v5.4.1. The source can be downloaded here: http://grass.fbk.eu/grass54/source/, and the Panel Library is located at 'src.contrib/CERL/SGI/panel/' in the source tree

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:54 pm 

hamei wrote:
SAQ wrote:
... it was released as public domain in the 4D1-3.2 days by NASA Ames and has since disappeared except for the company that wants $750 and a lot of bother to get a copy of the source code.

Those people should be disemboweled. All NASA code is public domain by law, but of course no one actually pays attention to that little detail. The entire "technology transfer" program is an illegal ripoff of the American taxpayers.

How dare you oppose some good, honest corruption. Those are hard-working people going out of their way and spending their precious time trying to find ways to divert old, underutilized, taxpayer funded resources into useful, private property that provides them with a nice stream of income that they can then evade paying taxes on. It's honest American fraud with a strong history dating back through the Robber Barons and the Railroad Magnates and earlier, and to oppose it is un-American and practically Progressive. :P

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:09 am 

I would normally agree with SAQ and paste a cynical smirk on my face. But tolerance for smaller scams has, over decades, led to larger and larger scams. And now corporations are legally people, who's spending to buy politicians is legally ruled to be "free speech" and can be funnelled into untraceable SuperPACs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still just as cynical (clearly). I just don't think the "joke" they're putting over on us is very funny any more. :-x

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:56 pm 

Humor can be a great agent for change. It can cut through all the false dignity and lay bare the heart of the matter. Don't discount it just yet.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:55 pm 

Don't mind me, my good humor went off when I discovered the milk had curdled overnight. Or, perhaps I'm confusing cause and effect... ;)

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:54 pm 

hi guys! i tried to compile this using my O2 with MIPSPro but i got some errors, did someone here try the same thing and have success? can you share how? :)

hmm if Tristram did this work on SGI, shouldn't this compile without errors? did try the one using IGL on my PC and it was great! but still want to try this on my IRIX for all demos :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:52 pm 

smj wrote:
And now corporations are legally people, who's spending to buy politicians is legally ruled to be "free speech" and can be funnelled into untraceable SuperPACs.

I feel your pain. But don't forget that the case in question was around a company that put out a documentary movie slamming H. Clinton. It was supposed to air on TV, but under McCain-Feingold (passed under Bush) it got yanked and the corporation got hauled into court because the US government said, "You can't show a movie or publish a book that is critical of a politician during election season!"

The court kind of got squeezed on that one, because the government was arguing for such an aggressive reading of the law that basically nothing but an authorized news outlet or a solitary individual could publish or distribute anything--text, audio, or video--that talked about any politician within a certain window of approaching elections. For that purpose, and from a loooooooong history of law*, they placed corporations (in this case, a non-profit corporation) in the category of 'person' entitled to the right of speech. That is, they rejected the USG's argument that any number of single persons on their own had a right to say something, but if they came together and pooled their resources into an organization they lost the right to say that same thing.

So, yeah, I understand being a bit miffed out the outcome, but you have to look at what they were trying to avoid as well. The USG's argument was specifically intended to prevent citizens from being able to pool their resources for political speech. You could speak, but only if you did it alone. That works OK if "speech" means writing something on your blog, but how in the world could you make a movie and get it distributed all by yourself? 'AH, yes, Viacom, just make the check payable to, "John Smith," it's all on my personal account...'

They stepped so far over and away from sanity, they pretty much forced the court's hand, IMO, and are more to blame for any negative consequences than the court.

*Just one unrelated example, but the Virginia False Claims Act says:

“Person” includes any natural person, corporation, firm, association, organization, partnership, limited liability company, business or trust.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:19 pm 

telackey wrote:
The court kind of got squeezed on that one, because the government was arguing for such an aggressive reading of the law that basically nothing but an authorized news outlet or a solitary individual could publish or distribute anything--text, audio, or video--that talked about any politician within a certain window of approaching elections. For that purpose, and from a loooooooong history of law*, they placed corporations (in this case, a non-profit corporation) in the category of 'person' entitled to the right of speech. That is, they rejected the USG's argument that any number of single persons on their own had a right to say something, but if they came together and pooled their resources into an organization they lost the right to say that same thing.

Probably ought to move to a different thread here :)

The thing I always wonder about is why the US is so averse to facing the real situation. Brown vs Board of Education was stupid. Deal with the FACT that discrimination on the basis of race is against the principles of the United States. Instead they sidestep the real issue and pick some horsecrap side-issue upon which to make major judgements.

The real trouble with the swift-boating and the Hillary movies was that they were all lies. So face the real problem and make lying on political issues a felony. Ten years and ALL your money, forever. Or make it a capital offense just like treason because basically it is treason. Democracy depends on an informed electorate to make good decisions. Voting based on lies is tantamount to no democracy at all.

Instead, they pursue horsecrap issues that come around later to bite everyone in the ass, hard. Idiots.