Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: Re: iMac?
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:10 pm 

PymbleSoftware wrote:
Cue SkyWriters defence of all things Apple.

big, complicated, open source project with memory leaks. why is that news?

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:00 pm 

skywriter wrote:
PymbleSoftware wrote:
Cue SkyWriters defence of all things Apple.

big, complicated, open source project with memory leaks. why is that news?

That was not news but what shocked me was 5Gb use for Terminal... ? Really? :shock:
Even a 26Mb for xterm seemed a bit much but 5Gb?

.. and why ..? :?

R.

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

@PymbleSoftware
Current Apps -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:36 pm 

my Terminal in 23.7mb after 36days of running. if software was straight forward you would have formal design methods as part of the development process as lint. as it is, software is a crap shoot for everyone.

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:42 am 

skywriter wrote:
Oskar45 wrote:
skywriter wrote:
What IBM are you going to compare with?

I'm not going to compare any IBM with anything else. No way. If you are old enough, you will certainly know what I mean.

actually, no it's pretty vague.
Didn't even one of your 6 cats purr to you that if I'd have answered your question we could be in a veritable but stupid flame war right now?

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:44 am 

Here? Hardly Oskar. It's not like we're the great unwashed masses.

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:09 am 

Oskar45 wrote:
I'm not going to compare any IBM with anything else. No way. If you are old enough, you will certainly know what I mean.

Actually, Oskar, I can tell that you never used OS/2.

Anyway, I've diddled around on various Macs over the past few years. I find them to be attractive but not really to my taste. But if'n I were getting a Mac, it would be the smallest Air.

As a desktop, OS X shows me nothing. I'd go Irix then OS/2 then BeOS then NeXTStep over Mackletosh. People have different tastes, ya know ?

But the Air, now THAT could be a nice computer. Small and light light light but much more capable than a netbook. An Air would fill a hole in your computing experience, I'd say. That's where I'd go first.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:33 am 

hamei wrote:
But the Air, now THAT could be a nice computer. Small and light light light but much more capable than a netbook. An Air would fill a hole in your computing experience, I'd say. That's where I'd go first.

i love my Air Hamei, but Oskar seems more the boat anchor type of guy. Otherwise he'd just float away, wafting on a warm summer's breeze.

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:40 am 

hamei wrote:
Oskar45 wrote:

Actually, Oskar, I can tell that you never used OS/2.
HAMEI, wrong. Your deductive powers seem to be rather limited. That's ok with me, though...But I'll check out the Air, thanks!

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:08 am 

skywriter wrote:
hamei wrote:

i love my Air Hamei, but Oskar seems more the boat anchor type of guy. Otherwise he'd just float away, wafting on a warm summer's breeze.

Suppose I'd just float away, wafting on a warm summer's breeze [although it's already snowing over here] - which Mac would you REALLY recommend? I've read a few contradictory posts on here.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:21 am 

Oskar45 wrote:
skywriter wrote:
hamei wrote:

Suppose I'd just float away, wafting on a warm summer's breeze [although it's already snowing over here] - which Mac would you REALLY recommend? I've read a few contradictory posts on here.

Just go to the store, and pick the one with the screen size you want. Any base model of any mac is more then enough ummph for you.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:13 am 

iMac for the win.

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi
Dell XPS M1530

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:28 am 

Oskar45 wrote:
which Mac would you REALLY recommend? I've read a few contradictory posts on here.

I've had variants of all of the machines mentioned on this thread so far, so I'll try to offer a set of key decisions that you would likely need to make. In your first post, you indicated that you wanted an iMac. I assume that's because you like the form factor and the industrial design. Any of the current iMacs are fine machines. I think the only major decisions to make regarding the current iMacs are (1) screen size and (2) whether you want an i5 or an i7 processor. Everything else is secondary.

Screen size depends mostly on your personal taste and the physical space that you plan to house the machine, although the 27" iMac can be configured with somewhat faster cpus than the 21.5" models.

If you plan on doing a lot of video editing or audio mixing, get an i7 configuration. For all other purposes, the i5 models are quite fine (and the i5s are fine for audio/video work, too, if those are things you only do once in a while).

You'll probably want to upgrade any of the base configurations to a 2 TB drive, if only because replacing the internal drive is a bit of a chore. Of course, you could always rely on external storage instead, but that does remove a bit of the clean design aesthetics.

For RAM, 4 GB is fine for most things. Depending on price, 8 or 16 GB is worth considering, again, especially if you want to do a bit of audio/video work. I'd probably get the 8 GB configuration. You can always upgrade the RAM later, and at least that process is simple.

As for software, the machines come with iLife (iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand), and they are all quite good at what they do. You might consider getting Apple's Aperture software for more professional, database-driven photo editing and management, or also Adobe's tools. Actually, Adobe's consumer level Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements are surprisingly capable, and if you keep an eye open for sales, they are sometimes bundled together for ~US$100.

Regarding office suites, I have both Apple's iWork suite and Microsoft Office 2011. When I use an office suite, 90% of the time it's the Microsoft flavor, but there are occasions when Apple's iWork tools are simply far superior to Microsoft's tools, particularly in terms of visual formatting and layouts...even with spreadsheets. (I also have Open Office, but the last time I used it was when I needed to open a ten year old WordPerfect document.)

You might also want to get a copy of either Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion if you are interested in firing up DOS/Windows/Linux/OS2/Solaris/xBSD/etc on a Mac. I use both (for historic reasons), and they are both excellent.

A used iMac can be a good value, but if you go with a used machine, I suggest sticking with one of the models from late 2009 or newer, i.e. the i5/i7 generation. The Core 2 models are good machines, but I'm not sure that's what you'd want to be using for photos and videos two or three years from now.

As others have pointed out, the Mac Pros (particularly if you want to open up the hardware and tinker) and the Mac minis (if you're tight on space and already have a nice, compatible display) have some appealing features, but the Apple aesthetic is most apparent in the iMacs and the laptops, especially the latest MacBook Airs. For completeness, consider going to an Apple retailer and playing around with an Air or a MacBook Pro, but it sounds like you are more interested in a desktop experience, in which case any current iMac should be fine.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:06 am 

@josehill: thank you for your very detailed & helpful answer. I guess I'll go for a MacBook[Pro|Air] instead of an iMac, though. Should be fine with me...at least I could take it along on my trips as backup for my shots - my other laptops are simply too bulky for flights. And while my 150GB Epson P-7000 is quite portable & excellent as backup/viewer, not much in terms of simple post-processing can be done on it [which I'd need occasionally on the spot, e.g., when presenting best-of-day shots at the after-dinner fire]. Looks like I could do something about that on a MacBook...

@fu: the provided link ^^ was most certainly appreciated. Grateful :-)