Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:14 am 

I'm starting the fan replacement process on my Fuel. This was for part number verification/discovery.

Attachments:
parts.jpeg
parts.jpeg [ 213.4 KiB | Viewed 634 times ]

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:17 pm 

Good going! I used to take my Octane apart once a year just for the sake of having done it! ;-)

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:13 pm 

I'm going to send you guys my printer .... what a p.o.s. (Canon MX-700)

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:53 am 

Need to pull apart my quad R14 Onyx2 Desk-side .. getting a little dusty

:Indigo2: SGI Indigo 2 R8K75 TEAL Extreme 256MB,
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo 2 R10K 195 Solid Impact 256MB, MAX Impact Pending
Apple G5 Quad, NV Quadro 4500 + 7800GT, 12GB RAM
Sun Blade 1000 Dual 900 XVR 1000

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:58 pm 

Ryan Fox wrote:
Need to pull apart my quad R14 Onyx2 Desk-side .. getting a little dusty

If you have the plastic still on it, do the world a favour and don't.
I promise you that you will never ever get the plastics back on once you take them off.
The world does not need another naked deskside.

R.

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

@PymbleSoftware
Current Apps -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:57 pm 

@hamei: I hate printers, in general. They just give you headaches.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:39 pm 

Hakimoto wrote:
@hamei: I hate printers, in general. They just give you headaches.

We have an Xrox 7700 now, it was a bit if a hassle at first but at least you can work on it. But here is the Canon saga ...

A little over two years ago bought a new Canon MX-700. It does fax, scanning, inkjet printing and copying. Looks decent. Network-attached. About $300 but what the heck.

It worked fine for the next two years. We treated her nicely, always Canon ink, no refills, no chip resetting. Strictly inkjet paper. Ran a few pages off every week to make sure the ink never clogged up. Kept the power on 24/7. It wasn't great at anything but did everything okay and took up a small space and even looked stylish. That's fine for an orfice. We were happy and would have recommended it to anyone. In fact, I probably did.

Six weeks ago had to rearrange the furniture. I unplugged it and moved it across the room. Plugged it back in, clank clank clank whrrrrr bonk bonk, "Error 5010".

Great. I tried a few things, tugged at a few panels, said, "Screw it, this is for work, let's take it to the Authorized Canon Repair Center."

We took it to the Authorized Canon Repair Center, they smiled politely and took it in. A week later we called up but they said, "There's no hope, nothing we can do, do you want to come get it (or shall we give it to Xiao Wang in the back room so he can fix it in fifteen minutes and sell it for $150 ?) or just leave it ?

So we went and picked it up. No one had so much as touched anything on it (except perhaps to carry it into the back room where it sat on a shelf for a week.)

An hour's worth of searching came up with "Error 5010 is a failure to locate home position on the scanner."

This is not a mortal error, guys. It's just not. Perhaps their labor overhead is so high ($250 a month per "technician" ?) that they feel repair is impractical. More likely they are just too fucking lazy and stupid to actually be able to fix anything.

So the p.o.s. is now coming apart, slowly. Did I want to do this ? Hell no. It all snaps together, of course, and there's no readily available maintenance manual so pry a little here, pry a little there, oops, snap ! I guess that was the secret hidden tab, oh well I've got some glue.

This thing is a piece of shit. The marketing model that made it is a piece of shit. The company that created this piece of shit is a piece of shit. The entire industry that does things this way is shit. When human civilization goes down the toilet because we don't have the brains of the cockroaches that crawl out the drain in the bathroom, it will be because we thoroughly deserve to go extinct.

Needless to say, I cannot recommend Canon printers to anyone anymore. In fact, I personally will never buy another Canon product - camera, scanner, printer, whatever. And the HP printers that use Canon engines can go to hell also. Fuck Canon in the ass, now and forever.

(Yes, the I know rest are all the same. But Epson and Xerox have not cheated me yet. Nor did the pre-Carly HP, and IBM honestly does the best it can considering what fools consumers insist on being. Ethics is worth something, even in this world.)

The Xrox may be as big as a house (it is ! it is !) but at least it's not purposely designed to be a stinking pile of bear shit piled in the path. Did I mention yet that Canon can take a flying fuck at the moon ? Consider it said ....

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:32 pm 

Ooookay then... O.O I had a run in with Corsair .. their RMA service centre folks have heads filled rocks.
Great product, crap service

:Indigo2: SGI Indigo 2 R8K75 TEAL Extreme 256MB,
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo 2 R10K 195 Solid Impact 256MB, MAX Impact Pending
Apple G5 Quad, NV Quadro 4500 + 7800GT, 12GB RAM
Sun Blade 1000 Dual 900 XVR 1000

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:08 am 

Heh - urban legend has it Stallman got going on his GNU stuff when he couldn;t get the departmental printer to work as advertised. So depending on your software politics... printers are the source of all Good or the root of all Evil ;)

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:42 am 

jimmer wrote:
Heh - urban legend has it Stallman got going on his GNU stuff when he couldn't get the departmental printer to work as advertised.

That's funny :D Thanks.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:51 pm 

After having being a little too busy to mess about with redbox, I finally got round to actually trying out all the fans and stuff I ordered and bought.

Shopping list:

From http://www.quietpc.com:

1. 80x80x25 Scythe KAMA-FLOW2 2900rpm. 32dBa, 40CFM. 0.24amp part no.:SP0825FDB12H
2. 60x60x25 Fractal Design 'silent series' 3000rpm, 19dBa, 16CFM, 0.14amp part no.: FD-FAN-60

From conrad.co.uk:

3. 80x80x25 AVC 2450rpm, 24 CFM, 25dBa, 0.12amp, conrad order no. 998646
4. 60x60x25 AVC 3300rpm, 16 CFM, 25dBa, 0.12amp, conrad order no. 998644

From PC World:

5. 120x120x25 Antec Pro Series casefan, 2000rpm, 79CFM, 30dBa, 0.24amp, no part number on the yellow/green packaging.

From Maplins:

6. Anti-vibration silicone pad, 123x123x2mm, part no. A50BJ
7. Anti-vibration washers, 1mm thick, part no. A26GF
8. 3-pin extension cable, part no. A01BF

Installation:

The Fuel isn't too offensive on the inside for a wannabe PeeCee, but boy is the PSU fiddly... I managed to only half bleed to death while I replaced the old PSU fan with the Scythe KAMA-FLOW2 :( On the upside the PSU is now inaudible over the whine of the XIO/PCI fans. Win!

Having dressed my wounds, I put the AVC 8cm and 6cm fans into the little blue XIO/PCI shroud. I used a 3-pin extender cablette on the furthest of the two AVC 60mm fans as its cable wasn't long enough to reach the header on the motherboard. I also stuffed silicone washers down 2 sides of each of the fans thinking it might stop the fan vibration being amplified by the shroud plastic... it seems to work, but I might be hearing things. The fans themselves emit significantly less volume, as they are running at about 1800rpm. That said, I hope my V12 wont overheat once i get blender up and running and the whole shroud does still emit a high-ish pitch whine. 1/2 Win.

I removed the Delta 120mm exhaust fan and its plastic attachment, replacing them with the much quieter Antec 120mm... screwed straight on to the Fuel chassis with the silicone dampner ring. Boy did _that_ work! It cuts all vibration and resonance emitted by the fan and the switch has significantly reduced the volume of redbox's noise output. Win!

I had planned to replace the 60mm fan in the drive bay with the fractal design one... and on paper the specs seemed right... however redbox shutsdown after 60 secs when I use the fractal design fan... so I'm still using the old Delta fan - it's not too terrible and I remounted it on silicone washers which does help a little. 1/4 Win.

So that gives me a grand score of 2.75 wins out of a possible 4. In real world terms that means redbox is now quiet enough to be kept running for a couple of hours at a time :) I'll be monitoring system temperatures and fan rpm with l1cmd for a while as I spend some more time on redbox, but my initial impression is that system temperatures are well within their limits.

Finally, a BIG thank you to the Fuel Hardware aggregator, Schluesels fan replacement table and Martin Steens very handy tip about the Fuel fan header pinouts.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:28 am 

To the uninitiated, that blue fan shroud looks like a musical instrument from Dr. Seuss- land...