Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:46 am 

hmm sorry maybe im stupid but when i successfully changed the password of a user from root account? when i log out then try the new password for that user, it was ok, but when i try to shutdown? i can't use my root password. then i logout from user then try to login root? waaah it wont accept the exact password i use to login root earlier. then coz of frustration, i just press enter without typing any password? bingo! it went in.. geeez so does it mean when i change a users password from root acount using passwd, it will by default reset the root password to none? hmmm

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:02 pm 

That's not what normally happens for me, on any system. If what you described were to happen to me, I'd assume I mixed up my passwd(1) commands somehow.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:23 pm 

smj wrote:
That's not what normally happens for me, on any system. If what you described were to happen to me, I'd assume I mixed up my passwd(1) commands somehow.

hmm yeah but i only used this simple command from root account: passwd jessen

then typed in the new password? then retype for confirmation? then all was ok until deciding to shutdown? root password is unusable.. more weird thing happen, ill post it on another subejct

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:47 am 

It shouldn't do that. If it does it again you probably have some very bizarre stuff going on, and an IRIX reinstall might be your easiest bet.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:40 pm 

geo wrote:
then typed in the new password? then retype for confirmation? then all was ok until deciding to shutdown? root password is unusable.. more weird thing happen, ill post it on another subejct

Sorry if my previous response sounded harsh - I literally meant, if it happened once I'd assume I was at fault (somehow). But as SAQ mentions, if it happened a second time - and it's strange enough I probably would try to reproduce it rather than waiting - then I would assume it was something about the system rather than me.

But it sounds like you may have other issues with the system in question...

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:41 pm 

If you have IRIX installation media, you can try deleting the root password, rebooting, resetting it, and then seeing if the strange behavior continues.

The easiest way to do this is generally by booting into the miniroot from an IRIX installation cd, exiting to a shell, and then editing the /etc/passwd file or /etc/shadow file using the vi text editor. There are several step-by-step descriptions of the procedure on the net.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:35 pm 

SAQ wrote:
It shouldn't do that. If it does it again you probably have some very bizarre stuff going on, and an IRIX reinstall might be your easiest bet.

yeah really weird, ill try to replicate to verify if its a bug or just a glitch. hmmm i want to but i really still want to preserve this setup coz jesse said he compiled and put many libs in here just to run some coll software for the demo? softwares that only run on high end sgi he said but still was able to run on this o2 book :) but i found this site:

http://rmni.iqfr.csic.es/guide/man/inst ... hap3-7.htm

does this mean even upgrading to 6.5 but still i can use or retain the software installed during 6.3?

smj wrote:
Sorry if my previous response sounded harsh - I literally meant, if it happened once I'd assume I was at fault (somehow). But as SAQ mentions, if it happened a second time - and it's strange enough I probably would try to reproduce it rather than waiting - then I would assume it was something about the system rather than me.

But it sounds like you may have other issues with the system in question...

hahaha no sorry there smj, i think it should be me who should say sorry coz the way i reply to your post made you think you sound harsh :( but really no harm done ;) yes, ill try to boot now and reproduce the scenario, ill login as root and do passwd root then see if what happens.

yeah i think you read my other post? seems this IRIX 6.3 is the early release? i read somewhere there was an early release then expect to have many holes :( but lets see

josehill wrote:
If you have IRIX installation media, you can try deleting the root password, rebooting, resetting it, and then seeing if the strange behavior continues.

The easiest way to do this is generally by booting into the miniroot from an IRIX installation cd, exiting to a shell, and then editing the /etc/passwd file or /etc/shadow file using the vi text editor. There are several step-by-step descriptions of the procedure on the net.

thanks jose, yes i have but hmm i only got the 6.5 CDs, is it ok? my game plan now is put password for root now and see if successfull and check it it would affect the users password too. will keep here posted

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:16 am 

geo wrote:
thanks jose, yes i have but hmm i only got the 6.5 CDs, is it ok? my game plan now is put password for root now and see if successfull and check it it would affect the users password too. will keep here posted

Yes, the 6.5 CD would work, since you only use the installation CD to boot the machine, but you don't actually install anything. You boot from the CD as if you were going to run an installation, but when the installer starts, you can exit the installer and launch a shell, at which point you can run vi to delete the root password from the /etc/passwd file. See https://sites.google.com/a/hummingbirdc ... gi-systems for a step-by-step guide.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:14 am 

josehill wrote:
Yes, the 6.5 CD would work, since you only use the installation CD to boot the machine, but you don't actually install anything. You boot from the CD as if you were going to run an installation, but when the installer starts, you can exit the installer and launch a shell, at which point you can run vi to delete the root password from the /etc/passwd file. See https://sites.google.com/a/hummingbirdc ... gi-systems for a step-by-step guide.

ah yes2 now i remember :) but i think no need to do this coz what happened is i now was able to produce the expected result ;)
first i login root which has now password coz of the incident which unexpectedly removed it. then did a "passwd root" then entered a new password. then tried the new password by logging in and out many times, it worked!! then tried to login a user, still had its own password! then went back to root and try to change the users password then tried all possible test, it worked! each one has its intended password ;)

so i think it was just a plain glitch, sorry everyone false alarm :(
just need to pinch lil jesse (o2 laptop) to wake up from 15 years sleep :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:46 pm 

geo wrote:
does this mean even upgrading to 6.5 but still i can use or retain the software installed during 6.3?

Have you already made an archival copy of the system disk as you received it? Sorry if you mentioned that and I missed it, or if it's already been suggested - but if not, please consider that as your next step. Then you can try upgrades to 6.5 on a copy without worrying that you'll end up with an unuseable system.