Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:35 am 

HI All,
I have an Octane 2 with 2GB of RAM and a V6 graphics card and a dual 360 mhz processor, my problem is when i start up quake 3 i see the screen messed up the cursor remain over the screen and also the writings, i have to start a match to see it ok, but when i close and restart my Octane the preferences doesent remain and the problem return again. My monitor is setup to 1280x1024 60 hz i think 16 bit.
Thank you for your help : )

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:23 pm 

I have version 1;17 beta of quake 3 arena. None can help? Is this a bug of the game or is a problem of my graphic card or some settings that have to do? Please help

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:02 pm 

toolkitman wrote:
I have an Octane 2 with a V6 graphics card.....

My monitor is setup to 1280x1024 60 hz i think 16 bit.

As far as SGI was officially concerned those two statements are mutually exclusive.

As discussed in your other thread, 1280x1024@60Hz with a 16-byte frame buffer depth doesn't fall within the range of display resolutions the V6 is capable of running. Take a close look at the chart in this link: http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/ ... esolutions

There is a "unofficial" workaround that will let you use 1280x1024 a display - but be forewarned the workaround has generated a few complaints of display anomalies too: http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/ ... _Artifacts

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:37 am 

I've fixed a problem with corrupted menu displays in ioquake trunk. The root of the problem is that the depth buffer isn't initialized properly, i.e. just the area of the Q3 Arena-logo on top. It's not fixed in the neko_quake3-1.36.tardist package that should already have appeared in nekoware beta.

You may be able to work around the problem by clearing the depth buffer with some other program, which probably has to use a similar GLx mode; the mplayer in nekoware has a similar problem and can be used to reproduce the problem.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:10 am 

Quote:
I've fixed a problem with corrupted menu displays in ioquake trunk.

Does this compile cleanly for you?

I used to be able to build from their RCS trunk late-2010. It bombs now, but I haven't spent much effort trying to track down any issues. Last attempted probably Feb/Mar 2011.

...And lots of other UNIX-like systems for which there is no icon.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:25 am 

canavan wrote:
I've fixed a problem with corrupted menu displays in ioquake trunk. The root of the problem is that the depth buffer isn't initialized properly, i.e. just the area of the Q3 Arena-logo on top. It's not fixed in the neko_quake3-1.36.tardist package that should already have appeared in nekoware beta.

You may be able to work around the problem by clearing the depth buffer with some other program, which probably has to use a similar GLx mode; the mplayer in nekoware has a similar problem and can be used to reproduce the problem.

I solve this by starting the demo and quitting. Afterwards, it runs very fine!
BTW: the newest build runs very smooth on my Octane2 - even internet multiplayer works with all the mods!

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:09 am 

Axatax wrote:
Does this compile cleanly for you?
Not without patches. My Makefile.local is below, the other patches are attached. Something I'd like to see fixes in the next release is the Stereo Mode, where some of the HUD components, some console messages the cursor in the menu and the text on the load screens are only visible on one eye.
Code:
V=1
USE_INTERNAL_SPEEX=0
USE_INTERNAL_JPEG=1
USE_RENDERER_DLOPEN=0
COPYDIR=/usr/nekoware/game/quake3
#RELEASE_CFLAGS=$(BASE_CFLAGS) -O3 -n32 -mips4 -OPT:Olimit=0:roundoff=3 -TARG:platform=IP27:proc=r10000 -I/usr/nekoware/include
CLIENT_LIBS=-L/usr/X11/$(LIB) $(shell sdl-config --libs) -lGL \
    -lX11 -lXext  -rpath /usr/nekoware/lib -L/usr/nekoware/lib -L/usr/lib32/mips4 -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib32 -lspeexdsp -lspeex -lfastm -lm
LDFLAGS=-Wl,-IPA -IPA  -rpath /usr/nekoware/lib -L/usr/nekoware/lib -L/usr/lib32/mips4 -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib32

Attachments:
File comment: Patch against svn://svn.icculus.org/quake3/trunk r2163
ioquake3_svn.patch [4.02 KiB]
Downloaded 23 times

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:17 pm 

A bit off topic, but you are going to recompile quake 3, is it possible to add multiprocessor support? I don't know how difficult that is, but would be really cool if you could!

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:26 pm 

I don't think so. Even though some people are talking about SMP support in openarena on slackware or ubuntu, and there is an old patch for tremulus to (re-)add SMP support, SMP is disabled in the default builds for ioquake anywhere except on macos. A quick attempt to enable it anyway just resulted in dying render module and a dead window that still had the mouse and keyboard captured. So unless someone else gets SMP on *nix running or you point me to some patches that do so, there will be no SMP, at least not from me.

If you have any patches (i.e. the one that spins off the sound into a separate thread) I may consider them.