Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:18 am 

The above, and porter's what-if scenario assumes you have already hosed the built in recovery. Which is possible if you delete it for some reason, or the disk/ssd dies. This also assumes that you can't get the USB disk with lion, or have your "friend", or the pirate bay, get you a lion CD, or install the linux flavour-of-the-month on it.

Kudos to windows XP for brainwashing users into believing that the operating system must be reinstalled every year or two.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:46 am 

guardian452 wrote:
Kudos to windows XP for brainwashing users into believing that the operating system must be reinstalled every year or two.

LOL, with Windows 95 it was every 3 - 6 months.

FWIW, with my MBP 2011 I got installation media for everything installed on the system (one disc with Snow Leopard, and one with everything else). Reloading from scratch should be straight forward? (haven't tried).

I also got a free upgrade to Lion (AppStore download), and can create installation media from that myself as well (DVD and/or USB stick). Apparently Lion will create a recovery partition, and with the Lion Recovery Assistant mentioned above I can create an extra copy of *that* as well (if I read it right?).

Really, if I screw up all of these options *and* don't make any backups, I have nobody but myself to blame.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2:(2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum: almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted: GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:54 pm 

guardian452 wrote:
Quote:
high-priced, high-turnover commodity machines.
but macs are cheap and 5 years is a low-turnover... Isn't this an SGI site where machines cost $100k+ and had a typical useful life of two or three years?

Boeing was pushing out their Indigo2s and Onyx1s to surplus in about 2001. That's 5+ years.

The big thing that I have with all of these "recovery" setups is dying drives, especially in laptops. Sure, you can usually do something with dd and a lot of work (provided that there is a backup somewhere, and the vendors don't always make that easy), but it's much easier to have something that will do a bare metal install.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:23 pm 

smj wrote:
R-ten-K wrote:
... with pictures of death presidents on them. And without funny looking pictures of death presidents on them, ...

Are you by any chance using Lion and have not disabled auto-correct? :P

iPaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!!!!! ;-) LOL

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:13 am 

Quote:
The big thing that I have with all of these "recovery" setups is dying drives, especially in laptops. Sure, you can usually do something with dd and a lot of work (provided that there is a backup somewhere, and the vendors don't always make that easy), but it's much easier to have something that will do a bare metal install.

thats the reason why i use acronis on my intel centrino winxp laptop :lol: ..and i feel safe

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:18 am 

yetanother**ixuser wrote:
Quote:

thats the reason why i use acronis on my intel centrino winxp laptop :lol: ..and i feel safe

The problem isn't me - the problem is other people who haven't planned ahead and present me with a dead computer to fix.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:27 am 

SAQ wrote:
The problem isn't me - the problem is other people who haven't planned ahead and present me with a dead computer to fix.

Time for a wardrobe make-over :) http://www.ebay.com/itm/400164985488

I have a similar shirt. It works :lol:

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2:(2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum: almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted: GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:31 am 

this is also very helpfull :lol: