Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Forum rules


Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:58 pm
Posts: 115
Location: New York - But Not That New York
One of my Fuel workstations was reporting over 4,000* days uptime (as per the uptime command) a while ago. Unfortunately there was a power hiccup (possibly a double-hiccup) at work the weekend before last and it couldn't hold on.

*OK, the 4,000 isn't quite accurate. The previous time it booted, it had a very wrong - as in several years wrong - date that was corrected while it was running. System then thought that it had been running since the date it had before time correction all the way through. Indeed, I have not even been at my current job for 4,000 days, and I have no reason to believe that Fuel has been where it is that long either.

:)

_________________
Currently, in ascending order of (my) time consumption -
:Fuel: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Octane2: :AltixDS: :A350R:


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:47 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:53 pm
Posts: 2915
Location: USA
lparsons wrote:
*OK, the 4,000 isn't quite accurate. The previous time it booted, it had a very wrong - as in several years wrong - date that was corrected while it was running. System then thought that it had been running since the date it had before time correction all the way through. Indeed, I have not even been at my current job for 4,000 days, and I have no reason to believe that Fuel has been where it is that long either.

The Fuel wasn't even shipping 4,000 days ago! ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:58 pm
Posts: 115
Location: New York - But Not That New York
josehill wrote:
lparsons wrote:
*OK, the 4,000 isn't quite accurate. The previous time it booted, it had a very wrong - as in several years wrong - date that was corrected while it was running. System then thought that it had been running since the date it had before time correction all the way through. Indeed, I have not even been at my current job for 4,000 days, and I have no reason to believe that Fuel has been where it is that long either.

The Fuel wasn't even shipping 4,000 days ago! ;)


I couldn't help but wonder that when I was seeing the number. I think it was somewhere around 4,400 - but of course I can't tell anymore since the system was rebooted by the power outage.

I does leave me to wonder how when it had previously booted, it came up with a date that was not only wrong, but it predated the system itself. But yet it didn't go back to the dawn of the Unix epoch, either; I wonder if it defaulted to the release date of the version of IRIX that was installed (system shows 6.5 IP35)?

_________________
Currently, in ascending order of (my) time consumption -
:Fuel: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Octane2: :AltixDS: :A350R:


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:33 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:55 pm
Posts: 5205
Location: NC - USA
lparsons wrote:
I wonder if it defaulted to the release date of the version of IRIX that was installed (system shows 6.5 IP35)?
The release date of the version of IRIX that was installed shouldn't predate the release of Fuel hardware by very much (and depending on the number of updates installed, could be well after the release of the Fuel).

_________________
***********************************************************************
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
***********************************************************************


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:58 pm
Posts: 115
Location: New York - But Not That New York
recondas wrote:
(and depending on the number of updates installed, could be well after the release of the Fuel).
(emphasis mine)

Updates? You mean you can update IRIX? Nah, we don't do that around here ... :D

_________________
Currently, in ascending order of (my) time consumption -
:Fuel: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Octane2: :AltixDS: :A350R:


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:19 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:55 pm
Posts: 5205
Location: NC - USA
lparsons wrote:
Updates? You mean you can update IRIX? Nah, we don't do that around here ... :D
Ok, but even then, the first IRIX release that included hardware support for the Fuel was 6.5.17, released in August 2002, which is still shy of 4000+ days.

The initial release of IRIX 6.5 was August of 1998, which would come closer to being 4000 days old.....

_________________
***********************************************************************
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
***********************************************************************


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:58 pm
Posts: 115
Location: New York - But Not That New York
recondas wrote:
lparsons wrote:
Updates? You mean you can update IRIX? Nah, we don't do that around here ... :D
Ok, but even then, the first IRIX release that included hardware support for the Fuel was 6.5.17, released in August 2002, which is still shy of 4000+ days.

I can't rule out that I am looking in the wrong place to find the version of IRIX running on this system; but when I log in it tells me it is running 6.5 IP35. I am not the original admin of these systems, so I don't know exactly how they were set up - for that matter I don't even know where all the system discs are.


Quote:
The initial release of IRIX 6.5 was August of 1998, which would come closer to being 4000 days old.....


That's useful to know, but it's a shame that it ruins a good story :)

_________________
Currently, in ascending order of (my) time consumption -
:Fuel: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Octane2: :AltixDS: :A350R:


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:28 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:55 pm
Posts: 5205
Location: NC - USA
lparsons wrote:
I can't rule out that I am looking in the wrong place to find the version of IRIX running on this system; but when I log in it tells me it is running 6.5 IP35.
"uname -aR" should do the trick. If the version of IRIX on your Fuels predates 6.5.22, you can download the 6.5.22m updates for free from Supportfolio.

If you are at a revision that predates 6.5.21, updating to 6.5.22 has the side benefit of giving you the ability to run nekoware: http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/what-is-nekowar.html

_________________
***********************************************************************
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
***********************************************************************


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:58 pm
Posts: 115
Location: New York - But Not That New York
recondas wrote:
lparsons wrote:
I can't rule out that I am looking in the wrong place to find the version of IRIX running on this system; but when I log in it tells me it is running 6.5 IP35.
"uname -aR" should do the trick.

System responds telling me it is running 6.5.23m.

thanks!



Quote:
If the version of IRIX on your Fuels predates 6.5.22, you can download the 6.5.22m updates for free from Supportfolio.

If you are at a revision that predates 6.5.21, updating to 6.5.22 has the side benefit of giving you the ability to run nekoware: http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/what-is-nekowar.html


If I were to kidnap an SGI and take it home, I would definitely install nekoware on it (that isn't out of the question in the future, though my wife would likely be less-than-pleased). For right now I'm the only user of our SGIs >90% of the time so I won't be setting up nekoware at the moment.

_________________
Currently, in ascending order of (my) time consumption -
:Fuel: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Octane2: :AltixDS: :A350R:


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:54 pm
Posts: 1288
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA, NA, Earth, Sol
lparsons wrote:
For right now I'm the only user of our SGIs >90% of the time so I won't be setting up nekoware at the moment.

If you can answer, what are all those SGIs being used for? Be as vague or specific as you like or can be. I'm just curious - I like to know what they're being used for at those sites where they're still in production.

Thanks!

_________________
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:58 pm
Posts: 115
Location: New York - But Not That New York
smj wrote:
lparsons wrote:
For right now I'm the only user of our SGIs >90% of the time so I won't be setting up nekoware at the moment.

If you can answer, what are all those SGIs being used for? Be as vague or specific as you like or can be. I'm just curious - I like to know what they're being used for at those sites where they're still in production.

Thanks!


I'll give the short, politically-correctified version of the flock and it's status here. If you're curious beyond what I state here drop me a PM and I can fill you in on more gory details.

Basically, the SGIs that we have - the whole collection of icons in my sig - were all acquired for doing structural biology and molecular modelling. Back in 2004 or so when we last cut a check to SGI (for the Fuels and the half-rack Altix) that was the way to go. Now the only one in that cast that is powered up as of this afternoon is one Fuel (the subject of this thread, as it happens) which is our NIS master. Of course, as my personal workstation is the only NIS client that cares, I guess it is rather silly to keep it running right now.

On a semi-tangential note, in the discussion on the icons I had suggested that it would be neat to be able to place the icons upside-down to indicate disabled systems. If I were able to do that, over half the icons would be inverted in my current situation (including the tall rack Altix through none of its own fault).

_________________
Currently, in ascending order of (my) time consumption -
:Fuel: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Octane2: :AltixDS: :A350R:


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:59 am
Posts: 149
Location: Yorkshire, UK
recondas wrote:
lparsons wrote:
Updates? You mean you can update IRIX? Nah, we don't do that around here ... :D
Ok, but even then, the first IRIX release that included hardware support for the Fuel was 6.5.17, released in August 2002, which is still shy of 4000+ days.

The initial release of IRIX 6.5 was August of 1998, which would come closer to being 4000 days old.....


Today - 4000 days = 6 October 2000
Today - 4400 days = 2 September 1999

So August 1998 would be more like 4,800 days, and August 2002 just over 3300.

As an aside, the Indigo2 had a "date" command in PROM monitor to read and set the system date/time (which was handy as the clock woke up from cold in 1993), but the Fuel does not. Was it removed for a more specific reason than making room for other code?

ajw99uk

_________________
Fuel; Indigo2; RiscPC Kinetic-StrongARM RISCOS 4.39 or 5.21; EspressoPC ViaC3/900 Debian-testing; RPi B RISCOS5.21 or Raspbian


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:54 pm
Posts: 1288
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA, NA, Earth, Sol
lparsons wrote:
Basically, the SGIs that we have - the whole collection of icons in my sig - were all acquired for doing structural biology and molecular modelling. Back in 2004 or so when we last cut a check to SGI (for the Fuels and the half-rack Altix) that was the way to go. Now the only one in that cast that is powered up as of this afternoon is one Fuel (the subject of this thread, as it happens) which is our NIS master.

Thanks for sharing that. It's just interesting (to me at least) to see what prompted the selection of SGI then, and speculate as to where things went beyond what they were offering in the meantime.

We now return to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress...

_________________
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group