Lion - the slippery slope for OS installations

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
guardian452

Re: Lion - the slippery slope for OS installations

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:18 am

The above, and porter's what-if scenario assumes you have already hosed the built in recovery. Which is possible if you delete it for some reason, or the disk/ssd dies. This also assumes that you can't get the USB disk with lion, or have your "friend", or the pirate bay, get you a lion CD, or install the linux flavour-of-the-month on it.

Kudos to windows XP for brainwashing users into believing that the operating system must be reinstalled every year or two.
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.

jan-jaap

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:46 am

guardian452 wrote:Kudos to windows XP for brainwashing users into believing that the operating system must be reinstalled every year or two.

LOL, with Windows 95 it was every 3 - 6 months.

FWIW, with my MBP 2011 I got installation media for everything installed on the system (one disc with Snow Leopard, and one with everything else). Reloading from scratch should be straight forward? (haven't tried).

I also got a free upgrade to Lion (AppStore download), and can create installation media from that myself as well (DVD and/or USB stick). Apparently Lion will create a recovery partition, and with the Lion Recovery Assistant mentioned above I can create an extra copy of *that* as well (if I read it right?).

Really, if I screw up all of these options *and* don't make any backups, I have nobody but myself to blame.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2:(2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum: almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted: GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:54 pm

guardian452 wrote:
high-priced, high-turnover commodity machines.
but macs are cheap and 5 years is a low-turnover... Isn't this an SGI site where machines cost $100k+ and had a typical useful life of two or three years?

Boeing was pushing out their Indigo2s and Onyx1s to surplus in about 2001. That's 5+ years.

The big thing that I have with all of these "recovery" setups is dying drives, especially in laptops. Sure, you can usually do something with dd and a lot of work (provided that there is a backup somewhere, and the vendors don't always make that easy), but it's much easier to have something that will do a bare metal install.
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:23 pm

smj wrote:
R-ten-K wrote:... with pictures of death presidents on them. And without funny looking pictures of death presidents on them, ...

Are you by any chance using Lion and have not disabled auto-correct? :P

iPaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!!!!! ;-) LOL
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

yetanother**ixuser

Unread postby yetanother**ixuser » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:13 am

The big thing that I have with all of these "recovery" setups is dying drives, especially in laptops. Sure, you can usually do something with dd and a lot of work (provided that there is a backup somewhere, and the vendors don't always make that easy), but it's much easier to have something that will do a bare metal install.

thats the reason why i use acronis on my intel centrino winxp laptop :lol: ..and i feel safe
no plan

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:18 am

yetanother**ixuser wrote:

thats the reason why i use acronis on my intel centrino winxp laptop :lol: ..and i feel safe

The problem isn't me - the problem is other people who haven't planned ahead and present me with a dead computer to fix.
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

jan-jaap

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:27 pm

SAQ wrote:The problem isn't me - the problem is other people who haven't planned ahead and present me with a dead computer to fix.

Time for a wardrobe make-over :) http://www.ebay.com/itm/400164985488

I have a similar shirt. It works :lol:
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2:(2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum: almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted: GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)

yetanother**ixuser

Unread postby yetanother**ixuser » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:31 am

this is also very helpfull :lol:

no plan

Return to “Apple”