Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:59 pm 

In order to make a ghetto router/firewall/switch with an old fanless P3 running *BSD and stuffed with NICs.
Already have an old Phobos P430TX (unfortunately, not the special version that is compatible with SGI). It was found at $20 on ebay 4 years ago.
Now looking for a second one to add a few ports (without paying an arm and a leg for equivalent purpose Cisco hardware which would be overkill for hobbyist usage), or a D-Link DFE-570TX, or at least two dual port NICs like the 3Com 3C982.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:09 pm 

If you don't find anything on your side of the Atlantic I have a couple (overseas shipping seems to be rapidly gaining on arm-and-a-leg status)..

The first came out an Apple Xserve G4, has an Intel chipset, and is sloted to fit a 5V 32-bit PCI slot.
Attachment:
Apple_Quad_Ethernet.jpg
Apple_Quad_Ethernet.jpg [ 437.34 KiB | Viewed 271 times ]

The second you're already familiar with, it's a Phobos P430TX, slotted in fit in either a 3.3 or 5V 32-bit PCI slot.
Attachment:
Phobos_430TX.jpg
Phobos_430TX.jpg [ 415.24 KiB | Viewed 271 times ]

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:36 pm 

silicium wrote:
... (without paying an arm and a leg for equivalent purpose Cisco hardware which would be overkill for hobbyist usage) ...

Silicium : a bit of unasked-for advice : ditch the p3 crap and buy a Cisco 3640. I went through all that garbage myself, only to waste hours and hours and hours on unreliable garbage. I can get a 3640 or 3660 for fifty bucks or less, so there should be equivalent options in Europe. My Cisco ran over two and a half years nonstop before I had to shut it down to add another network module. It goes so long without attention that I forget the IOS commands. All the "free linux router !" stuff is just junk.

Oh. Given a choice between a 3640 and 3660 (prices seem to be about the same these days) I'd get the 3660. It gets to be too much fun adding all kinds of other network interfaces. You'll eventually want the extra two module slots :)

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:05 am 

Thanks hamei for unasked advice. a Cisco 1721 with WIC-4ESW is much faster for LAN switching than the fanless p3 pc crap which is not even silent (high pitched whine varying with CPU load). And Cisco things don't randomly lose their config like the n3tcr@p I was using before. I even bought a 3662 and 3524+3508 switches but can't run them 24/7 until I build a noise-proof room for all loud systems in the basement.