Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:32 am 

Hello, I have a question regarding some decompression of files on irix I am a problem to unpack, if someone can 'indicate the correct procedure, perhaps I'm missing a file to do the task.
For example, I have a file like this:
Code:
library_IRIX.tar.bz2
software_IRIX.iso.gz

I tried to unzip the files. tar with the command "tar-xvf" and hopefully I can do it but with these files described above. bz2 and. iso.gz I can not do that I used the command "bzip2-d filename. bz2 "nothing but the command is not recognized by irix. :?

Last edited by gambonyx on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:01 pm 

gambonyx wrote:
I can not do that I used the command "bzip2-d filename. bz2 "nothing but the command is not recognized by irix. :?

IRIX doesn't grok bzip. You'll have expand its horizons with a dose of nekoware: http://nekoware.dustytech.net/index.php?path=current/

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:14 pm 

Thanks for the help recondas, I have downloaded the files now the load, unfortunately I have some 'fledgling with the management of files on IRIX and UNIX in general I'm trying to learn the basics my horizons are very limited now. ;)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:01 pm 

Fortunately the nekoware version of bzip2 doesn't have any dependencies , so it provides a relatively gentle introduction to nekoware.

The file is "neko_bzip2-1.0.5.tardist", download it to an easily accessible folder on the hard drive of your Onyx2. Once you have the file downloaded you can drag-n-drop the file from the File Manager window to the "drop pocket" in Software Manager.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:06 am 

Thanks for help recondas,I could now try to load it to unpack the files. bz2 is only by understanding how to do it with. iso.gz I will try 'to use this file, or try the list of nekoware.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:59 pm 

To answer your next question:

No, IRIX doesn't have a loopback filesystem for mounting disk images. You'll need to burn it to a CD or mount the image on a Linux box and move it over to the IRIX box some other way.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:19 pm 

Thanks Saq,My problem is that I have the hard drive do I need a CDwriter then, about the files regarding "bz2" I installed the file and unzipping using neko_bzip2 1.0.5 software manager but nothing so I can not figure out how to deal with this type both files. "bz2" and is ". tar.gz" are just inexperienced in these things but if anyone can 'explain step by step how to do well, perhaps I can understand why' do not know the exact command,or I was wrong to use the command "bzip2-d" from winterm? :?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:58 pm 

For a bz2 file, you would use the bunzip2 command to uncompress it. For example, "bunzip2 library_IRIX.tar.bz " would create a file called "library_IRIX.tar".

tar is an old format that was originally used for archiving files to tape. On IRIX, use "tar tvf filename.tar" to see the contents of a tar file, and then you can use "tar xvf filename.tar" to extract the contents. For example, "tar xvf library_IRIX.tar". That will probably create a folder/directory called "library_IRIX", inside of which I guess you will find software that you can install.

You might sometimes see .tardist files. They are just regular tar files that happen to contain an installable software image. It is used only on IRIX systems. On some IRIX systems, clicking a link to a tardist file will open it in the Software Manager. On any system, you can use the tar xvf command to extract the installation files, and then you can work with them just like they were regular files.

Sometimes you'll see .tgz files. These are the same thing as .tar.gz files, i.e. tar files that have been compressed with gzip.

gz is a gzip file. On IRIX, you can use the gunzip command to decompress it. For example, "gunzip software_IRIX.iso.gz" will result in a file called software_IRIX.iso - which should be a regular iso file that you can easily use to burn a cd on a Mac or Windows, or Linux PC. If you use Windows, the freeware 7-Zip utility works well with tar, bz2, and gz files. http://www.7-zip.org/

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:19 pm 

Hi,Josehill thanks for the valuable info, tomorrow I try to do as you say, I was able to tardist with "-xvf" now I download the software from the link you posted and then I try these commands gunzip bunzip and I hope to make it I'm going crazy with the compressed files, you was very kind to explain so well let you know as soon as I could,best regards. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:17 pm 

gambonyx wrote:
Thanks Saq,My problem is that I have the hard drive do I need a CDwriter then, about the files regarding "bz2" I installed the file and unzipping using neko_bzip2 1.0.5 software manager but nothing so I can not figure out how to deal with this type both files. "bz2" and is ". tar.gz" are just inexperienced in these things but if anyone can 'explain step by step how to do well, perhaps I can understand why' do not know the exact command,or I was wrong to use the command "bzip2-d" from winterm? :?

If you have a spare hard drive you can "dd" the image over onto the raw drive, plug it into your system, and work with it that way as well. SGI images will probably be in EFS, other images might be in ISO or Rock Ridge.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:05 am 

Hi SAQ, yes i have a chance 'to add a disk on the system to do so, but what does "dd"? And a command to unpack the. Iso?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:52 am 

gambonyx wrote:
Hi SAQ, yes i have a chance 'to add a disk on the system to do so, but what does "dd"? And a command to unpack the. Iso?

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... .z&srch=dd

Amazing thing techpubs.sgi.com ... you type stuff into the box and it tells you stuff..

R.

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

@PymbleSoftware
Current Apps -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:11 am 

Thanks PymbleSoftware, and now I understand that 'a copy command to move from one state to another state from. Iso files without extension, even if not 'very clear syntax.(I did not think there was written somewhere that he was on techpubs "dd" but now I know that after you tell me!)
For example, I printed the manual commands from IRIX techpubs I found a way to use this command:
Code:
gzip"filename"
gunzip"filename"
gzcat"filename"

in order if you use "gzip" compress a file and create a file with the extension. "gz"
Then if I use "gunzip" to decompress the same file and I remove the extension. "gz"
but if I use "gzcat" I see its contents.
My problem still remains the extension:
Code:
. bz2 or
. tar.bz2

I have successfully installed the file "neko_bz2 1.0.5.tardist" but there was and how when I enter the command:
Code:
bunzip or
bzip

The system does not recognize it if someone can 'explain to me just this thing because I do not know what to do and the manual does not report it as a command in IRIX I would be very grateful, just to understand where mistake, I just want to be able to unpack the file ". bz2" or with ". tar.bz2".

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:55 am 

Last edited by gambonyx on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:28 am 

gambonyx wrote:
My problem still remains the extension:
Code:
. bz2 or
. tar.bz2

The system does not recognize it if someone can 'explain to me just this thing because I do not know what to do and the manual does not report it as a command in IRIX I would be very grateful, just to understand where mistake, I just want to be able to unpack the file ". bz2" or with ". tar.bz2".

That's because you haven't told IRIX where to look for the bzip/bunzip executables. The short-term work-around is to implicitly state the entire path to the command in question, something like
Code:
 /usr/nekoware/bin/bunzip2 yourfile.tar.bz2
The long-term fix is to download neko_fixpath.tar.gz, and run the encapulated script to add nekoware to the search path of your system.

What might be more helpful to you in the long run is some sort of unix reference text in your native language. Even if it isn't IRIX specific, it'd almost certainly be better than dealing with an unfamiliar operating system while simultaneously trying to translate us on the fly.