Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:25 am 

Nice to have you here, afterlife! And very sorry to hear of your shipping ordeal. That base certainly did explode into a thousand pieces, but perhaps if all the pieces are there you can give it a shot... think of it like a jigsaw puzzle... you might get lucky. If you aren't up for that or it turns out to be simply impossible, you might get in touch with Ian Mapleson (mapesdhs on this forum) and see if he can help you replace the skins. I bought an Indigo a few months ago and the drive bay door flap was broken. I asked Ian about it and he did have an extra on hand, so he was able to ship it to me for a reasonable sum.

I did do a quick ebay search for you and also looked at the inventory of another distributor I've ordered from in the past but neither source had O2 skins available.

As a far fetched alternative, I have done this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16724795&start=60#p7338100 before. It is a lot of work, time consuming and not cheap. But if you want to turn this disaster into an opportunity to have some fun and make your O2 different, you might try it. The caveat of course is that you will need someone's base to actually have a mold made.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:48 am 

@Pymble:
Nah no show, all that's back in Perth at the old man's is 4 Octanes and a bunch of cards, a stack of breeding Indy's. The Indigo2's got snapped up by Obs on Oz.org #sgi and the last O2 I had before this one ended up in Melbourne with Vagues (this was before the grab an Octane and nurse it from Perth -> Melbourne as carry-on luggage on your lap.. yeah long story). Other stuff at old man's is all DEC/DG/HPPA/Commodore and CP/M.

Haven't you got a fist full of O2's breeding quietly in your bone-yard? Also there was that feller out back of Emu Plains that had 2 sitting in his shop. I picked up the third for Vagues recently (that's headed down south to mexico after the 23rd) .. when I was out there he had a couple of them left afaik.

Ak

Unread postPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:49 am 

Oh! actually.. UCC has a dead one. TRS-80 and Michael off #sgi were rumbling about a pair of O2's along with a BeBox being chucked recently. The BeBox was definitely saved. He should go there and be nice to Mikhail/James.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:03 pm 

uridium wrote:
Oh! actually.. UCC has a dead one. TRS-80 and Michael off #sgi were rumbling about a pair of O2's along with a BeBox being chucked recently. The BeBox was definitely saved. He should go there and be nice to Mikhail/James.

where~abouts~whas~this~?~~ :D

       と  つ
     ~(_,,つ
        し'

Unread postPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:09 pm 

afterlife wrote:
uridium wrote:

where~abouts~whas~this~?~~ :D

UCC sounds like University Computer Club. Probably UWA, Curtin, or Murdoch somewhere.

I had a BeBox, wrote an article about the RayTracer I wrote for it. Doctor Dobbs Journal November 1999. It too a long time to get published.

R.

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

@PymbleSoftware
Current Apps -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:30 pm 

Link to the Dr. Dobbs article. Note that links are included to the source code...

Dr. Dobbs wrote:
Regan presents BeRays, an object-oriented ray-tracer application that makes it easy to plug in new rendering ideas.

BeOS, an operating system from Be Inc. (http://www.be.com/), was designed for digital media applications on PCs and Internet appliances. Consequently, BeOS supports a 64-bit journaling filesystem, real-time multimedia streaming, pervasive multithreading, and multiprocessor support. [...]

Unread postPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:50 am 

Just a bit of an update, found a cool website www.sgidepot.co.uk the guy, Ian is very helpful
and I may just have a new top and base! :D

       と  つ
     ~(_,,つ
        し'

Unread postPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:07 pm 

afterlife wrote:
Just a bit of an update, found a cool website http://www.sgidepot.co.uk the guy, Ian is very helpful
and I may just have a new top and base! :D

The guy, as you put it is Ian and a forum member here.. mapesdhs

A lot of people in Europe on this forum have bought stuff from him and generally had nothing but good feedback about him, for example this topic, he is in the UK (Scotland) and thus too far from Sydney for shipping for most (large) things I am interested in.

Search his posts. He is considered more expensive than fleabay or garage sales but knows what he is talking about and offers warranty. Ian tends to sell on and recommend eBid (somewhere in his post history).

R.

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

@PymbleSoftware
Current Apps -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:28 pm 

afterlife wrote:
Ian is very helpful

... understatement ...

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:16 pm 

As said by PS and confirmed by SAQ, Ian is very helpful. He knows exactly what he does and does it perfectly well. Moreover, his parcels are bulletproof (he wrote a post with pictures, I let you search for it). I've just bought a fuel from him. You can go with him confidently. It will be flawless.

:Octane2: Dual R14k 600 V6, 2Go, HD (173Go, 34Go) (carbon)
:Octane: R10k 400 MXE, 1280Mo (lithium) / 2xR10k 300 SSE,... (fluorine)
:O2: R10k 195, 512Mo (hydrogen) / R5k 180, 512Mo (sodium) / R5k 180->200 motherboard and PM only
:Indigo2IMP: R10k 195, HighImpact, 160Mo (helium) / R4400 125, Extreme, 160Mo (boron)
:O200: :O200: twin O200, 4xR12k 270, 2Go, HD (4x18Go) (beryllium)
:Indigo: R4k 100, 80Mo, LG1, 9GB HD, Python 25601 tape (magnesium])
:4D70G: 4D70GT... my very first one (now property of musée bolo and the foundation mémoires informatiques)
See the hinv/gfxinfo posts here.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:07 am 

My only dillema now is to restrain myself from spending too much and going broke :D
looking at an origin on ebay too...must ....resist..... :D

       と  つ
     ~(_,,つ
        し'

Unread postPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:26 am 

hello, I have read your numerous problems with o2 if I can give you some advice for you I would buy a o2 is not working a few bucks on ebay if they are so often and replace all the missing pieces and maybe even ram that recoveries are certainly inside there are sometimes minimum 128MB (4x32) spend a lot less than taking the individual pieces and individual shipments from different parts of the planet, I've taken a way and arranged almost all CD ROM included at the end and I 'was cheap and now it works really well, and my only advice but at the level of expenditure and certainly the best solution since you have a R12 certainly deserves your o2

Unread postPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:34 am 

afterlife wrote:
looking at an origin on ebay too...must ....resist..... :D

resistance is futile :lol:

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2:(2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum: almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted: GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)

Unread postPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:54 am 

well said!jan-japp... impossible to resist systems so fascinating ... :D

Unread postPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:12 am 

PymbleSoftware wrote:
... he is in the UK (Scotland) and thus too far from Sydney for shipping for most (large) things I am interested in. ... R.

Actually, now that I use Interparcel for most shipments outside the EU, the cost of sending heavy/bulky items to such places is a lot
less than it used to be. I still use my ParcelForce account, but even with the significant discounts I receive (eg. 40% for US/Canada,
25% for OZ), it's no match for the cost effectiveness of Interparcel's collective 'routing' of orders for Fedex/DHL/UPS services. Using
PF has been made worse by their changing the volumetric weight formula they use for international shipping (thus, the 62x62x45cm
box I normally use for Octanes is now too big), and their loss of tax exemption status (all PF rates gone up by 20%). I can use PF to
ship Fuels ok (smaller box), and for EU locations it's still good (eg. only 30 to France/Germany/etc. for a Fuel with 500 cover) and
ditto for the UK, but outside the EU Interparcel wins. Apologies though, I've not yet had a chance to update the shipping info on my
site about this.

For example, sending a Fuel to OZ using my PF account would cost 225 UKP (Global Priority service, with 500 insurance cover). By
contrast, shipping via Interparcel/Fedex (Priority service, so it's faster too) would be 170 UKP (base cost = 150; +10 for insurance, +10
for packaging). It still isn't "cheap" in an absolute sense, but it's quite a reduction compared to PF, and not bad really all things
considered, ie. for sending a near-30kg box half way round the world in just 3 days. :D

Likewise, items which are not very big also benefit greatly, eg. Octane2 PSU to OZ: 93 UKP by PF, but only 58 UKP by Interparcel/Fedex.
These differences become even greater for the Far East, Africa, South America, etc. I sent an O2 mbd to Argentina a few months ago, the
cost via Int./Fedex was 50% cheaper than using my PF account.

Another major bonus is being able to deal with items beyond 30kg, eg. I'm sending a Tezro soon to the Middle East (45kg). Impossible by PF,
but only 260 UKP via Int./Fedex

Anyway, just thought I'd mention - shipping outside the EU is a easier/cheaper for me now, so don't be put off by what my site says atm.

Ian.