Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: macbook air
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:38 pm 

i gave my daughter the 13 inch macbook, and bought myself a nice 11 inch macbook air. jobs was right once again, they built the better netbook.

DECUS Member 368596

Post subject: Re: macbook air
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:43 pm 

damn you, I'm still waiting on my tax check...

it is finally a machine that is a worthy sucessor to the thinkpad x40.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:12 pm 

I happened across an 11 inch MacBook Air yesterday, and I started to think that I have finally found a worthy successor to my old 12" G4 Powerbook.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:10 am 

uh-oh, will you be using it on the go sky?

i've been flipping the coin, ipad/air...air/ipad

(jose the 12 g4 was a decent laptop, it replaced my pismo. gave up on it because i had to upgrade the os at some point)

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:59 am 

Hi,

josehill wrote:
I happened across an 11 inch MacBook Air yesterday, and I started to think that I have finally found a worthy successor to my old 12" G4 Powerbook.

This does, indeed, look like a worthy successor to the 12" G4. The processor clocks in about the same, but it's dual core, Core2 and there's more RAM available so I'm certain that it works out better.

Are you going to get one?

I'm tempted.

@

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:10 am 

fu wrote:
jose the 12 g4 was a decent laptop, it replaced my pismo. gave up on it because i had to upgrade the os at some point

Exactly. I still have it, it's running Leopard (adequately, but noisily; it's the 1.5 GHz model, with an upgraded, fast disc and maxed RAM), but I've been using a 15" MBP as my main machine for a little while now.

My poor G4's fans sound like a turbojet whenever I hit a webpage with more than a widget or two, so it mostly serves as an iTunes/email station now, though I still run my personal finances on it. Of course, I'm also noticing that useful software packages are starting to drop support for non-intel Macs (the latest being Firefox 4), and with Lion coming out soon, Apple will no doubt stop offering security updates for Leopard. The MBP is obviously much zippier...and quieter! I'm happy with the MBP, but the form factor is a bit larger than I want for a road machine.

andyjpb wrote:
Are you going to get one?

Most likely, I will get an 11" Air as my road machine within a couple of months, and I will replace the 15" MBP, a 2007 model, with a current generation machine for heavier duty work by the end of summer. The idea of a quad i7 sounds great.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:45 am 

the 11 inch macbook air, iphone4 and ipad make a perfect hoard for the road :)

i decided to finally flip my unlimited plan on the iphone for 2GB+personal hotspot. the macbook has wings now :)

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:33 am 

3 devices on ze go :shock: ? how do you escape duplicate inferno and enter sync heaven?

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:34 am 

My current laptop is an original 2006 MacBook Pro that's beginning to show its age a bit, but there will be no Air for me anytime soon... my desktop is now eight years old and I've been putting it off for a long time, but the next Mac Pro refresh will be the time to upgrade.

I'd go for an Air if I was in the market, though (but a 13" instead of 11"... anything less than 1440x900 on the screen makes me feel claustrophobic). The size and weight aren't terribly important to me, but I only use my laptop when away from home and it would make sense to spring for the lighter package over performance. I don't mind hauling a 15" laptop around, but the only thing keeping me away from the smaller models was the low screen resolution and I was very happy to see the changes made in the latest crop of MacBook Airs.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:43 pm 

I keep looking at the 11" Air also. Seems mighty sweet, you'll laugh but my laptop is a G4'd [550] Pismo ;p. It just keeps working so I don't move on. I do have an iPad which get heavy use during days of running around. The VPN client on the iPad is not perfect across all Cisco devices, specifically I have some trouble with older PIX [as opposed to the newer ASA's], and I could really use the external keyboard when using iSSH for anything serious. That's one area where the Pismo is always solid for me even though it runs Tiger.

Someday perhaps this year ye-old Pismo will finally go dark.

-Mike

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:36 pm 

mgt, man you're killing me. i g4'ed mine to keep it as long as i could. there's nothing like the pismo for me, if only i could find a way to stick with it. i'd shoot directly to disk with it, could upgrade it on the field in 3 seconds. apple's most honest, solid laptop for professional use (for the kind of work i do. we tend to get really strict w/ the tools o' the trade, gotta prove they're battle-weary rockers)

just like the 12 g4 i had to let it go. i don't upgrade just for kicks, it was a version of fcp for the pismo and a version of aperture for the 12'

ianj wrote:
... anything less than 1440x900 on the screen makes me feel claustrophobic...

i used to be like that, probably still am but i try to get over it :) i use real tools on the job so anything that can be lugged around seems like huh? to me

on the go things are simple for the same reason tho, you can't replicate the real thing and wrap it up in 500grams. it's why the "prosumer" buzz is a bad joke and why i appreciate sky's et al feedback here (totally different backgrounds/workflows but all the same phenomena to be deciphered)

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:13 pm 

for me, weight is extremely important. i dislike lugging anything more heavy than it needs to be to get the same work done. the MBA is something i can take anywhere, and it was just what i needed to go in for the AT&T hot spot for iphone; apple makes tethering so much easier to use than winmo ever did. it used to be such a pain in the butt that i rarely, if ever, used it. today with the iphone, and BMA it was totally painless and quirkfree to switch from iphone, to company wireless, and back. and our company network is screwed down tight with RSA security.

my fist day with the MBA was a joy.

wrt screen size; i can work on any size screen as long as the app's i use conform. one of the problems with the hacintoshed mini's were the vertical screen size of 600 or 576 was less than the requirement for certain apps, dialog boxes, and control panels. although there were work arounds for most stuff, garageband for instance, is unworkable on the minis, now so sweet on the MBA :)

after having a healthy selection of cheap-o hackin-mini's it's a pleasure to snuggle up the the 11 inch mac book air. and my belly appreciates the feather light touch, while i'm scanning front row in bed. the old macbook was like a cinder block in comparison.

i also ordered my favorite pattern:

for the lid, and my iphone to match the ipad's pattern. The 11 inch form factor also allows me to keep my nice light weight bag for the MBA + ipad, and accessories.

the nice thing about the mini's though, is i'll always need fixed stations for network, and portables for debugging at home. plus all the ipads when they're too far out of date make excellent performance pads and synths.

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:45 pm 

There are rumors about a sandy bridge mba coming soon, maybe in June. Could boost battery life? (we don't need no steeenkin' geforce, we have a psp for that!)

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:14 pm 

name the poiZen sky, i'll find some pigeons and send over something sleek

i optimize for free time too, get the work out and go get some fresh air. some kids say that getting anything done is an acronym these days and fazyluckers write books about it. serious buzznes, i'll pass

looks like i'm finally getting a brake this weekend and its easy to test a mba. looking quickly i get a real keyboard, monitor out, the full-flavour mac os i'm familiar with and silence!

gonna do some more flipping real tests and get back to hunting down a nice ice-cream van :)

geepeeyou? plain specs are just a heartbreak

Last edited by fu on Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:59 am 

ok rockers, just grabbed one: 11', 4gb ram, 64gb ssd

-why the "small" ssd?

less is more, encourages my rigorous pipeline. this is just an "in transit" machine for me.

typical use when i'm on the go:

• review stills/scripts/designs
    • sync/upload stills/scripts/designs via email/idisk or funky servers @home/studio/planet mars
    • transfer stills from cf cards to the laptop. even the 13 model comes with an sd slot, i still need to carry a reader.
    • lots of writing

-huh? where's the film/video editing on the go duck?

it takes a separate room to do it right. bite no bullets, it's either kicks on the go from individuals having fun cutting clips of friends/family/pets or plain baloney from guys that have never seen a real set (they usually sell accessories like keyboard stickers for an app)

give me (at least) a week to test the puppy and i'll come back with real feedback straight from the trenches :)