Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: iPad 2
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:49 pm 

josehill wrote:
skywriter wrote:
yup i take it wherever i goo.

I'm hoping that's just an example of the iPad's autocorrect function gone awry! :lol:

:lol: LOL ---> http://damnyouautocorrect.com/

R.

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

@PymbleSoftware
Current Apps -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:34 am 

*roll eyes*

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:20 am 

bwahahaaa i told you guys it's pure dadaism

syb, me play with a device? oh no man, free time for me is about espresso sessions w/ friends. i read ya but worry not about the duck w/ the movie camera. i never keep things i don't use/need and i don't give two funks aboot the latest/greatest according to some blogger.

the mb air is on my radar but at the end of the day its a laptop and i already have one (that doubles as a desktop). my needs on the go are rather simplistic and i'm always looking to cut down on noise/weight/heat/adaptors. if the pad works for me i'd be happy, if not i'll pass it on.

i ditched the iphone after a month of use because it didn't simplify anything for my needs. i could make calls, great. thought i'd keep some tunes in, i could also do email/browsing, sweet i thought. but after some real use i couldn't type comfortably (besides size, i'm a terrible typist), i'd always be missing a few files i'd like to attach to an email, and browsing on it would leave me swearing after 3 minutes and running for my laptop.

also, keep in mind you young marimbist, that muscles have memory. when i was your age i'd fly ny->tokyo and be ready to rock @ touchdown, now i need a day to deal with jet-lag. eyesight is less than perfect, gotta make our lives as simple as it gets :)

thanks for the feedback guys, i'll probably get one some time after the dust settles (can't stand long queues). will get back with any lessons learned.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:29 pm 

Quote:
syb, me play with a device? oh no man, free time for me is about espresso sessions w/ friends. i read ya but worry not about the duck w/ the movie camera. i never keep things i don't use/need and i don't give two funks aboot the latest/greatest according to some blogger.
heh, you a better man than me :)
I made a short youtube clip. If you have two minutes to spare you can see it here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDM9qSanwEk

It is essentially a giant ipod touch. Useful for light web browsing, but cumbersome for almost everything else. For my parents, it is perfect for chatting with friends, facebook, email, internet movies (like the one above!) etc. Even my mother still turns to her handy-dandy PC when she needs to respond via email. I don't see a practical way of using a keyboard with it on-the-go, although for her birthday I have an apple slim bluetooth keyboard that should work. The case makes a dandy stand to use it with, but it would be an extra thing to carry around for you methinks...

Quote:
the mb air is on my radar
it's in my shopping cart :) If I can replace my desktop and laptop with one machine that would be dandy. The desktop is obviously not portable and the laptop (x40) is too slow for much more than word processing nowadays. While that is about all that I use it for, it is a bear to be constantly moving stuff between the two machines.

Quote:
also, keep in mind you young marimbist, that muscles have memory. when i was your age i'd fly ny->tokyo and be ready to rock @ touchdown, now i need a day to deal with jet-lag. eyesight is less than perfect, gotta make our lives as simple as it gets :)
heh. A few years ago we rolled into nashville at 3.30 in the morning and gametime at 8. After a friday's worth of high school classes. driver got lost, life is an adventure. We got to see the birth city of Abraham Lincoln and the motorcoach got stuck in the mud trying to turn around. More recently I flew from CET to eastern US (+6 hours) and then drove a car 800 miles the next day.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:19 pm 

skywriter wrote:
hmmm.. TUAW (http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/10/imovie-and-garageband-now-available-for-ipad/) says Garageband will run on ipad. i'm happy!

GarageBand is running well enough on my iPad 1, and I just read, that if you use apple's enterprise iPhone/iPad configuration utility, you can get iMovie loaded on it without jailbreaking.

Geof

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:59 am 

japes wrote:
review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct1_r_61sk8

I haven't used an iPad other than playing with friends and in the store. I think it'd be great for surfing on the couch or in bed, but for the price I'll keep using my laptop.

The upgrades seem nice, but unless I was addicted to facetiming it's more along the when the one I have breaks I'll upgrade, not a gotta have it. Maybe there are apps that really tax the thing and would see a great boost, but I don't have them on my phone. Then again I just replaced my original iPhone a few months ago.

Meh I think the iPad is a waste of time. Look up the Motorola Xoom ^^ Android, Tegra2 , etc >=)

:Indigo2: SGI Indigo 2 R8K75 TEAL Extreme 256MB,
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo 2 R10K 195 Solid Impact 256MB, MAX Impact Pending
Apple G5 Quad, NV Quadro 4500 + 7800GT, 12GB RAM
Sun Blade 1000 Dual 900 XVR 1000 4GB
Sun Blade 2000 Dual 1200 XVR 1200 8GB

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:19 pm 

Ryan Fox wrote:
Meh I think the iPad is a waste of time. Look up the Motorola Xoom ^^ Android, Tegra2 , etc >=)

Well, you're correct looking at a Honeycomb device is about the only useful thing you can do with it at this point ;-)

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:50 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j2M0t58 ... re=related

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi
Dell XPS M1530

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:36 pm 

looks like critical thinking has run out on this topic.

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:41 pm 

there never was critical thinking. In the end, we may as well have had a topic on washing machines.

front load vs. top load
high efficiency designation
the irony of having a 'hand wash' cycle on a machine
etc.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:09 am 

no no, i just can't find one these days here (london) and come back with some questions/thoughts on using one.

ipad1 is out of stock and ipad2 is on backorder. just the occasional smartanus that sells one for the price of ten of them on beebay or your local rub-a-dub "here sir, good original product sir"

on the other side, i popped in my local vodafone to recycle some batteries and i saw the android smartphones and a a couple of tablets. in the name of aphrodite, why does the weather widget take up half of the screen? looked like a bad photocopy w/ no trace of taste.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:00 pm 

/me wearing my autocad jockey hat thinks this is pretty nifty:
http://www.autocadws.com/mobile

the real me thinks it is lame, I hate being stuck indoors on a computer for 8 hours a day (have to wait until the the beginning of june, when I am finished this contract), and why on earth would you want to take THAT with you?

but autodesk has many other fun products... if you need an alarm clock this has all the eye candy in the world for your ipod/iphone/ipad http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time-fx/id417278259?mt=8

That ipad video I posted isn't mine. I bought it for my mother for christmas. We use it exclusively for browsing the web and playing video games. facebook and online banking mainly. Mom gets upset if we log safari out of her facebook account and don't log her back in when we are finished. There really is not a lot to say about it. It's meant to be used for the internet, go try it out and see if the sites you frequent will display well in the browser. Some of the flashy bullshit doesn't work.

If you need a real computer, i.e. you can't do everything you need in the web or on 'ipod apps', or you need a keyboard (I need a keyboard...) then get a mac air.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:13 pm 

major issue i bumped into when using the iphone/ipod touch is that i couldn't find sane way to manage attachments to be sent/uploaded. idisk is supposed to cache some voodoo but didn't really work.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:45 pm 

this hack answers some of my questions on how to get files in the ipad when on the go, half-baked due to mAh restrictions. same idea for more usb devices, definitely for home/docked scenario, spaghettification kills mobility.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:28 am 

Looks the the demand for the iPad2 transcends the boundaries of existence: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/ ... 3K20110404

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next