Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: iPad 2
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:40 am 

auto-align ipad 2 cover is pretty neat idea! except that.... ipad 2 is meh!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:51 am 

decent review in the wsj today - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... jemptech_t

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:17 am 

josehill wrote:

the only thing i wanted from the ipad2 announcement was the two new apps; imovie, and garageband. apparently they aren't being supported (i.e. you can't run them on unless it's jailbroken) on the 1st version. it's not enough to bounce my old pad for the new one, but maybe i'll buy the cheapy ipad2? :)

Quote:
Apple also has two new $5 content-creation apps for the iPad 2: tablet versions of its Macintosh programs—iMovie and GarageBand. I used iMovie on the iPad 2 to create my own edited video, with titles, soundtrack and special effects. All of the apps I tried that worked on the original iPad worked on the iPad 2, only faster in some cases.

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:59 am 

skywriter wrote:
imovie, and garageband. apparently they aren't being supported (i.e. you can't run them on unless it's jailbroken) on the 1st version.

I guess Apple would argue that the cpu isn't fast enough or maybe that there is not enough RAM in the iPad 1. Any word from the jailbreakers on gen 1 performance?

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:06 am 

yeah, that's always the claim. i have the apple imovie app on the iphone4 already. it's not WOW, but useful to wack off a quick project. seriously though, i'm never really far enough away in time, or space from my imac's to make mobile version needed, or wanted especially. just a like to have.

i don't follow the jail breaking seen. i've found enough normal use cases to keep me more than occupied. which i'm sure is the lion's share of apple users. the fringe is always asking for more. i used to be a fringe user in the winmo space, but that's because the platform never got any better over the years. even now it's a peg leg in search of a pirate :)

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:15 am 

skywriter wrote:
yeah, that's always the claim. i have the apple imovie app on the iphone4 already.

My guess is that for iPad 1 vs iPad 2, the amount of RAM is probably a legitimate issue. Both the iPhone 4 and the iPad 2 have 512 MB RAM, while their predecessors had half that amount. The notion of running either GarageBand or iMovie with less than 256 MB of available RAM doesn't sound very appealing.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:24 am 

Still, 256 MB is more than enough for most things.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:05 pm 

(from the link jose shared) shooting w/ the ipad is sorta hilarious. reminds me of a 4x5 camera without a tripod "roll up kids, roll up. daddy's gonna take a photo" :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:20 pm 

fu wrote:
shooting w/ the ipad is sorta hilarious. reminds me of a 4x5 camera without a tripod "roll up kids, roll up. daddy's gonna take a photo" :)

Funny, I was thinking almost the exact, same thing! :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:06 pm 

josehill wrote:
fu wrote:
shooting w/ the ipad is sorta hilarious. reminds me of a 4x5 camera without a tripod "roll up kids, roll up. daddy's gonna take a photo" :)

Funny, I was thinking almost the exact, same thing! :D

yeah, this is why i've poo-poo the notion of a camera for ipad. it just looks too damn silly to use.

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:27 pm 

hmmm.. TUAW (http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/10/imovie-and-garageband-now-available-for-ipad/) says Garageband will run on ipad. i'm happy!

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:47 pm 

sky (i have the impression that you carry yours around most of the day) did you get used to the touch keyboard easily or do you have to use an external one?

gotta find one and test it for a few days. unfortunately, no kid in the current crew carts one around

if anyone gets one soon please come back w/ a review, this is the only place i trust for computing feedback about things i'm unable to test myself the way i like.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:52 pm 

If the kb is the same as on the first one I will say it is 'better than you expect, but still annoying at times'. You can type fine but numbers/symbols get annoying really fast. If you want a real keyboard in a similar size buy a macbook air. The wolfram|alpha app has an enhanced keyboard that takes up most of the screen. Some other apps might have the same or there might be a tweek to get it globally.

It's sort of the thing the family jokes at.. everybody likes to use it, but nobody will take it outside. At least not without a bag over the head. Everybody I've seen using one in public I would otherwise consider a total loser at first glance. Typically the same crowd that walks along playing their blackberry while the world around them becomes invisible. If I ever become so ignorant and oblivious please take me to the farm and put a couple rounds in the back of the head.

I guess the grunt of the message is that while yes it is a wonderful invention and marvelous and fun to play with, let's not get so engrossed in our intarwebbing activities that we neglect the real world.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm 

fu wrote:
sky (i have the impression that you carry yours around most of the day) did you get used to the touch keyboard easily or do you have to use an external one?
yup i take it wherever i goo. mostly to work. i use it all day at work, for work, newspaper reading, ibooks, websurfing all off company interwebs. some apps. at home, i'm mostly reading ebooks. my last favorite ebook i just finished the third read through. i could bookmark and highlight with notes the heck out of it.
the nicest thing i found was i can download B&N nook books into ibook instead of another reader. i'm looking for a way to do with with kindle/amazon ebooks. i don't like the kindle reader. that's the way it should be; not tying ebooks to specific readers. once you buy the book you should be able to read it in any reader you want.

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:42 pm 

skywriter wrote:
yup i take it wherever i goo.

I'm hoping that's just an example of the iPad's autocorrect function gone awry! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next