Some questions to disksize and connectors on Octane R12k

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
frankwissmann

Some questions to disksize and connectors on Octane R12k

Unread postby frankwissmann » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:59 am

Hi, all!
I am new to this board, so don't beat me if something goes wrong :D .
I have obtained the machine mentioned in the subject. It is setup terribly, because it was formerly in a network. Now I want to reinstall IRIX, but have some questions before.
The seller told me that there should be two disks in the machine, 1 of 16 and 1 of 72 GB. I started "hinv" at the boot prompt and it gave me 3 disks. "fx" did show 2 partitions on the first disk of 16 and 69 GB, / and /data01. Seems the volume manager has being started.
Now my questions:
How can I find out how many disks of which size are mounted in the machine? And can I replace the disks with my 36 GB disks with SCA connectors? And how do I open the Octane correctly when needed?
TIA for your thoughts and answers.

\\// Frank

recondas

Re: Some questions to disksize and connectors on Octane R12k

Unread postby recondas » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:04 am

Hello Frank, welcome to nekochan.

SGI maintains a Technical Publications library. Included is the Octane Owner's Guide, you should find most of your hardware related answers there - including how to pull the hard drives and/or disassemble your Octane. http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... /Octane_OG

Your 36GB SCA drives should work. If you remove the current drives from the drive sleds, be sure to save the drive mounting screws. They're a less common size.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

zski128

Unread postby zski128 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:13 am

:O2000: :Indigo: :Indy: x2 :Octane: :O2: :Fuel:WIP :1600SW:x2

duck

Unread postby duck » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:10 am

About the 36GB drives, remember that SCSI tribal issues of course apply. The internal bus of the Octane is single ended, so most drives will work (ISTR someone mentioning there were LVD-only drives now, but typically higher-capacity?) (for the tribes reference: http://www.scsifaq.org/SCSIcommandments.html)

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:35 pm

duck wrote:About the 36GB drives, remember that SCSI tribal issues of course apply. The internal bus of the Octane is single ended, so most drives will work (ISTR someone mentioning there were LVD-only drives now, but typically higher-capacity?) (for the tribes reference: http://www.scsifaq.org/SCSIcommandments.html)

They'd be very rare and not completely standards-compliant. What you can have now are drives that don't support narrow (8-bit) transfers, as that requirement was dropped from recent SCSI standards.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

japes

Unread postby japes » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:31 pm

If you do loose the screws I found great success with the box of pan head #6-32, 3/8" long screws I picked up from the hardware store. Easy enough in the US, maybe harder to find in other regions.

I just swapped a few drives and found some longer screws on my sleds. At least on some 146gig HP branded drives the 1/2" long screws seemed like they might interfere with the PCB on the drive in some corners.

recondas wrote:Your 36GB SCA drives should work. If you remove the current drives from the drive sleds, be sure to save the drive mounting screws. They're a less common size.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: <--challenge S

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”