So, yesterday I set it up and tried installing IRIX. God damn it's a complicated and bug-prone install... I'm pretty n00b when it comes to installing IRIX which is why I'm kinda lost here.
Anyway, here's what I've got:
- 200MHz R5k O2
- Full install set, version 6.5.7
- Bootable 6.5.11 overlays + apps
- Non-bootable CDROMs of 6.5.28 + apps
- A DVD copy of 6.5.29 tars
Here's what I did and where it went wrong:
- Installed IRIX with 6.5.11 install tools, Foundation 1&2, 6.5.11 apps and NFS using the feature stream. Everything looks ok but Netscape coredumps...
- Installed patch 5086 - works ok
- Fed disks 1, 2, 3 and apps of 6.5.28 to swmgr and let it update the system
- Most of my icons are gone, CDrom on the desktop doesn't work, everything looks messed up. But hey, at least Netscape works...
So, what did I do wrong - why did installing overlays broke the whole system? What's the correct way to install overlays anyway? Are my 6.5.28 disks borked? Is the moon really made out of cheese?
I'll try with 6.5.29 today - couldn't do it yesterday because my O2 Toshiba DVD drive refused to read my 6.5.29 DVD and last week I replaced the DVD drive of my Stinkpad x301 with an extra battery (so I had no computer which could have read the disc).