Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:13 pm 

I'm obviously not using the correct search terms, but I've come into possession of a number of decommissioned systems and they are all currently configured to bypass the maintenance screen.

-The systems are I2s and O2s.
-I do not have the root passwords or a working login.
-I currently don't have access to a serial terminal cable - but I suspect this will be necessary.

I had hoped to do the jumper reset of the prom, but it looks to be somewhat more complicated than that. Is there a way to get into the maint screen w/o having access to the terminal over a serial connection AND not being logged in?

The goal is to get a working OS install on the boxes and into the hands of Nekochan users for safe keeping :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:58 pm 

Greggl wrote:
Is there a way to get into the maint screen w/o having access to the terminal over a serial connection AND not being logged in?

I'm not sure if I understand the problem. Typically, you can get into the maintenance screen (aka the PROM screen) by hitting the escape key as the system boots or clicking on "Stop for Maintenance" on a graphical system.

You don't need a serial connection to do this. Just connect a regular keyboard/monitor/mouse.

If you want to login and see what is already on the systems, there are several descriptions on the net of how to change the root (and other) passwords by booting from IRIX installation media or other methods. Search for "reset IRIX password."

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:04 pm 

Been a while since I messed with an I2 or O2, but in addition to josehill's suggestions you could try pulling the hard drives. When the system doesn't find anything to boot it should offer to drop back into the PROM menu. You've probably already found it, but just in case here's the PROM manual page: http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... at1/prom.z ...... if needed you can find the User Guides for the I2 or O2 at the same general location.

FWIW, I'd suggest biting the serial cable bullet - several decommissioned systems will probably offer you lots of opportunities to gain some addition appreciation for the serial terminal connection. :D

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *