Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:31 am 

Since the disappearance of SGI's "Download Cool Software" site was roughly contemporary with the insertion of the serial number validation routine into the hardware L1 and L2 controller updates, there's at least a small chance the emulator software doesn't include enforced serial validation <though that may be of limited usefulness if the connected L1s have been flashed with one of the enforced validation images>.

If it'd work it'd be helpful for those considering assembling a composite system with a R-Brick obtained from eBay <or anywhere else where it might come with a non-matching/enforced serial number>.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:43 am 

It's supposed to fit right into 2.4.x kernels (contruary to what the docs says about RedHat 6.2, which is kernel 2.2.x!), so hopefully more modern releases should work. I'm giving RedHat 9 a chance on a Thinkpad T21 which might come in handy for these sorts of activities, plus Minicom is quite useful as a terminal emulator for RS232-activities. Hopefully I'll do a quick summary once I get things to work...

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:38 pm 

The provided L1 driver source is new enough to have 2.6 compatibility and seems to compile with the patch bplaa.yai listed.

Once I find my USB A to USB B cables I'll test the serial reset functionality.

Many thanks again to ramq for getting ahold of this - it could have saved me nearly a hundred bucks if it'd been around before :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:11 pm 

The L2 emulation seems to work well - here's the out put of "env" for an O350 - run from a linux box:
Attachment:
L2_Emulator.png
L2_Emulator.png [ 173.28 KiB | Viewed 868 times ]
as mentioned, there's even a pseudo L2 Display:
Attachment:
L3.png
L3.png [ 7.5 KiB | Viewed 894 times ]
This install was into Ubuntu 9.10 running a 2.6.31-14 kernel. It was a roll yer own / rpm conversion adventure for me, but if you have the skills necessary to avoid backtracing cryptic error messages it probably won't be too hard ;).

On the linux end, if you issue a Control+D the L2 emulator takes you to an IRIX command line; it works in the opposite direction as well - l2cmd works to control the L2 emulator from the IRIX end.

It seems to be a very handy app - especially if you don't happen have an L2 <and even if you do, you can use the linux box as an L3 and connect to the L2 via ethernet and admin remotely - using "l2term" on the linux end>.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:56 am 

It looks like deBug's and Bri3d's sites are down. Anyone else have this mirrored?

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:28 am 

http://www.vdheijden-messerli.net/sgist ... T_3.24.tar

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2:(2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum: almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted: GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:31 am 

Uploading it to my Webserver now. Drop me a PM for the link. Or did we agree that it is OK to host it and I can post the link here?

Edit: Just saw that Jan-Jaap was quicker. For what it's worth:

http://www.rustorama.de/CD-IST_3.24.tar

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:33 pm 

Another mirror here: http://www.shiftleft.com/mirrors/nekochan/SGI_Software/L3_Software/

I've installed the L3 software on an older release of Fedora in a VM, and had the l2 and l2gui programs speaking to my O300 bricks via USB. This first cut is much too bloated (~6GB on disk), but in December I'll work on sorting out something slimmer to make available as an appliance image - same idea as DINA, and in fact I was running it on the same underlying machine. I'll start a separate thread when I get back to it.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:59 am 

smj wrote:
Another mirror here: http://www.shiftleft.com/mirrors/nekochan/SGI_Software/L3_Software/

I've installed the L3 software on an older release of Fedora in a VM, and had the l2 and l2gui programs speaking to my O300 bricks via USB. This first cut is much too bloated (~6GB on disk), but in December I'll work on sorting out something slimmer to make available as an appliance image - same idea as DINA, and in fact I was running it on the same underlying machine. I'll start a separate thread when I get back to it.

I was considering working on a "live CD" type idea.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:55 am 

SAQ wrote:
I was considering working on a "live CD" type idea.
Not a bad idea, might make sense to have both. If you just need to boot up and manipulate serial numbers to get some bricks sorted, the LiveCD might be very handy. But if you're using the performance monitoring/tuning tools, collecting stats over time might make a VM preferable.

We'll see. I've never tried to put a LiveCD together, so that might be a useful and interesting exercise too. I've got another week plus on the road, however.

EDIT: Removed extraneous word.