Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: Re: Xserve discontinued
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:14 pm 

pentium wrote:
Quote:
Apple advises users looking for Apple-powered server solutions to run either a Mac Pro or Mac Mini with Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server.

So pretty much they are scrapping their whole 1U server division completely and telling you "we don't do this anymore, go buy one of our desktop systems instead"?
I guess their niche that was carved out for the Xserve went away after they went x86 and suddenly they had to compete with the many, many other 1U server solutions out there from people like Dell, HP, and IBM.

I don't know if I'd put Dell in the same category as the others. Apple makes nice hardware, and so does IBM and (some of) HP. Dell is ... OK and cheap.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Post subject: Re: Xserve discontinued
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:45 am 

Hmm... I think it went this way:

Steve was wandering around the 'net and found my thread on Nekochan where I expressed my interest in the second-hand market on the Xserve line and he just pulled the plug on the whole thing, just to make the second hand market prices go through the roof when there's an upcoming shortage of new servers.

That, or we could have a situation like with SGI hardware where companies will throw out equipment which isn't manufactured anymore.
However, that's highly unlikely on the other hand since Apple is still here (and will be!) and there's Apple fanboys all over the planet which will work their way like locusts eating up whatever second-hand equipment they can reach.