Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:46 am 

Has anyone heard of Canyon Runner? http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=canyon ... l&id=12613

:Indigo2: SGI Indigo 2 R8K75 TEAL Extreme 256MB,
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo 2 R10K 195 Solid Impact 256MB, MAX Impact Pending
Apple G5 Quad, NV Quadro 4500 + 7800GT, 12GB RAM
Sun Blade 1000 Dual 900 XVR 1000 4GB
Sun Blade 2000 Dual 1200 XVR 1200 8GB

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:57 pm 

No, but I have played the Magic Edge F18 simulator: http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=832

I also flew the aladdin magic carpet at disney world and have the home video to prove it ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_fShLIasAw

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:58 am 

Canyon Runner looks many kinds of awesome... it's a shame the PC so handily trounced video arcades (at least in the US) because that kind of multiplayer gaming with unique controls isn't really viable for PC games. I shudder to think how much that must have cost, though - an Onyx RE2 *and* all of those custom seats/displays/controls...
It's impressive that the Onyx can drive all six at once - that's certainly one of the coolest things I've seen an Onyx do yet!

If you read through the Magic Edge link syberfreq provided, there's mention of a couple of other insanely-priced Onyx-based games as well.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:39 pm 

bri3d wrote:
It's impressive that the Onyx can drive all six at once - that's certainly one of the coolest things I've seen an Onyx do yet!

That would be the RE2 multichannel. Here there be dragons :twisted: Resolution isn't so great, but it's just a game. 640x480 would blow your socks off back then... especially with a HMD.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:09 pm 

sybrfreq wrote:
... especially with a HMD.

Somewhere I just came across a study of head mounted display versus cave. They put a group of people with acrophobia in a virtual high place then dropped the floor out from under them. The cave worked better at terrifying the vic ... err, subjects. (Seven out of ten participants are hoping to be released from mental institutions any day now :) )

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:21 am 

I do have great memories of playing the quake port on my Onyx RE2 with performance that put my gaming PC at the time to shame.

One thing that always got me is the tank simulator, I can't remember if it was included with a full install of irix or off of one of the IndyZone disks. Shortly after I joined the army I got to use the tank simulator and it was identical to the sgi one. I always figured they had an old SGI Crimson behind the sceans driving it with a custom made cockpit to feel like a Abrams tank.

Alpha DS40, Power Station, PowerServer 550L, IBM PS/2 L40 (running AIX 1.3), Sun 3/60, Alpha Server 200, VAXstation 4000, and Tadpole SparcBook

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:19 am 

This thing is sweet... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE-Fge3gN9w&feature=search

Too bad its Weber/Vettel though.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:18 pm 

spoonified wrote:
I do have great memories of playing the quake port on my Onyx RE2 with performance that put my gaming PC at the time to shame.

One thing that always got me is the tank simulator, I can't remember if it was included with a full install of irix or off of one of the IndyZone disks. Shortly after I joined the army I got to use the tank simulator and it was identical to the sgi one. I always figured they had an old SGI Crimson behind the sceans driving it with a custom made cockpit to feel like a Abrams tank.

Are you talking about the game bzflag? It is available for modern systems and the servers are very active. The almost-current version is in nekoware and runs well on Onyx IR.

hamei wrote:
sybrfreq wrote:
... especially with a HMD.

Somewhere I just came across a study of head mounted display versus cave. They put a group of people with acrophobia in a virtual high place then dropped the floor out from under them. The cave worked better at terrifying the vic ... err, subjects. (Seven out of ten participants are hoping to be released from mental institutions any day now :) )
many caves for multiple gamers would be rather expensive. or even a single cave. Not to mention an arcade wouldn't have that kind of room. There is/was a cave game of some sort at the Dave & Busters (this must have been 12 or 13 years ago now) where everybody sat in a simulated flying platform and shot at stuff with light guns. I think you call it a rail shooter?