Signature line computer icons.

Opinions, ideas and thoughts about Nekochan Net.
Pontus
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 12:12 pm
Location: Uppsala, Sweden

Re: Signature line computer icons.

Unread postby Pontus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:01 pm

smj wrote:
Pontus wrote:You can compare them on these pictures:
http://www.update.uu.se/~jeppe/bilder/pontus_maskinrum/
A very impressive job of arranging! And I love the fisheye view from outside the window...

Can you tell me what it says on the DEC masthead next to the |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo? I can't quite make it out, almost looks like "gamma11" to me. Just curious.


Thank you. It is actually a fisheye view from the inside of the window :)

Yes, it says gamma11, it is a version of RT11 specialized for some kind of visual x-ray application. I also have the PDP-11/34 with UNIBUS graphics (O_O). I'm unsure if I have gamma11, I got a lot of disk packs with the system, but have been unable to read them as of yet.

And, again, thanks for the 3130 signature icon!
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se

User avatar
smj
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA, NA, Earth, Sol
Contact:

Re: Signature line computer icons.

Unread postby smj » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:54 pm

Pontus wrote:Thank you. It is actually a fisheye view from the inside of the window :)
Wow - how wide is that lens?

Pontus wrote:Yes, it says gamma11, it is a version of RT11 specialized for some kind of visual x-ray application. I also have the PDP-11/34 with UNIBUS graphics (O_O). I'm unsure if I have gamma11, I got a lot of disk packs with the system, but have been unable to read them as of yet.
Nifty! Have you identified the UNIBUS graphics board yet? If it were Qbus I'd be wondering about Matrox, but for UNIBUS I've no clue.

Er - and if there's a different thread elsewhere, I'll take my questions there. Or else I'll have to make another icon to bring this back on-topic... :idea:
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

User avatar
kshuff
Posts: 2434
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:13 pm
Location: Jonas, PA USA
Contact:

Re: Signature line computer icons.

Unread postby kshuff » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:02 pm

That VAX and PDP11 remind me of mine, I miss them :? I have some pictures in my environments gallery of them. What are you running on the VAX?
-ks

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :320: :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv: :O300:

See them all >here<

User avatar
smj
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA, NA, Earth, Sol
Contact:

Re: Signature line computer icons.

Unread postby smj » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:27 pm

Trying to bring this back sortof on-topic... Here's a quick stab at a universal BA123 icon - typically seen with VAXstation and MicroVAX II's in them, but also used for MicroVAX 3's, MicroPDP-11's, etc. Image

Comparison: :Indy: :Cube: :Indigo: :PI: Image :Onyx:

Many different things appeared in the three exposed device bays, so it's unlikely this will look like any one particular example. This one's got an RX50 dual floppy in the left vertical position, TK50 tape in the top right, and a generic HDD faceplate below that. Within the limits of 16x25 pixels, anyway... Oh, and in a testament to the hard lives these things tended to lead, the door covering the drive protect/ready buttons on the bottom left is missing.

--S.

EDIT: Slight revision, replaced attached file.

Edit: This work has been made available under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license Image
Attachments
BA123.png
BA123
BA123.png (331 Bytes) Viewed 768 times
Last edited by smj on Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

Pontus
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 12:12 pm
Location: Uppsala, Sweden

Re: Signature line computer icons.

Unread postby Pontus » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:14 pm

smj wrote:Wow - how wide is that lens?

8mm

smj wrote:Nifty! Have you identified the UNIBUS graphics board yet? If it were Qbus I'd be wondering about Matrox, but for UNIBUS I've no clue.

Er - and if there's a different thread elsewhere, I'll take my questions there. Or else I'll have to make another icon to bring this back on-topic... :idea:


I think it is called VTV or VMV and is a digital product. I'm unsure If I have all boards unfortunately.

kshuff wrote:That VAX and PDP11 remind me of mine, I miss them :? I have some pictures in my environments gallery of them. What are you running on the VAX?


The Vax 11/750 needs repairs and the power supply scares the bejesus out of me. The microvax has both ultrix and vms installed.
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se

User avatar
smj
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA, NA, Earth, Sol
Contact:

Re: Signature line computer icons.

Unread postby smj » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:02 am

Been noodling around with the Gimp again. DEC put several different CPU options into the BA213 Qbus cabinet, initially the MicroVAX III successor to the MVII in the BA123. The MicroVAX 3300 shipped in the BA215 with half the Qbus slots, but various board swaps were common.

BA213 can be the MV3/MVIII, MV3400, MV3500, or the MV3800
BA215 can be the MV3300

I'm not at all sure how that would work if these were ever to be added as smilies. And point in fact, I have no idea if Neko wants to have tons of non-SGI icons as smilies. But either way, enjoy.

BA123, BA215, BA213, and various SGI bits: :Indigo2: :O2: :Octane: :IRIS3130: Image Image Image :Onyx: :O2000R: :O3000:

Edit: These works have been made available under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license Image
Attachments
BA215.png
BA215 6-slot Qbus cabinet
BA215.png (368 Bytes) Viewed 700 times
BA213.png
BA213 12-slot Qbus cabinet
BA213.png (387 Bytes) Viewed 700 times
Last edited by smj on Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

Pontus
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 12:12 pm
Location: Uppsala, Sweden

Re: Signature line computer icons.

Unread postby Pontus » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:54 am

Neat!

Nekonoko already put a few non-sgi things in the icon set, I'm sure he won't mind putting these classics there!
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se

User avatar
nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8003
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:31 am
Location: Pleasanton, California
Contact:

Re: Signature line computer icons.

Unread postby nekonoko » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:20 pm

Pontus wrote:Nekonoko already put a few non-sgi things in the icon set, I'm sure he won't mind putting these classics there!


Yep; not a problem - I've added all the new icons to the database.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Pontus
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 12:12 pm
Location: Uppsala, Sweden

Re: Signature line computer icons.

Unread postby Pontus » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:21 pm

nekonoko wrote:
Pontus wrote:Nekonoko already put a few non-sgi things in the icon set, I'm sure he won't mind putting these classics there!


Yep; not a problem - I've added all the new icons to the database.


Thank you! Already in my signature. Soon there will be no space left for text :D
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se

User avatar
smj
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA, NA, Earth, Sol
Contact:

Re: Signature line computer icons.

Unread postby smj » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:46 pm

Well alright, thanks Nekonoko! Guess I won't hesitate if I get the urge to do some more, then...
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

hamei
Posts: 9895
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:10 pm

Re: Signature line computer icons.

Unread postby hamei » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:49 pm

Pontus wrote: Already in my signature.

Hate to be a spoilsport but the white does not show up at all well on the light blue background. Reminds me of that famous painting "Black Cat Sitting in a Coal Mine at Midnight." Would a single pixel of a darker color around the edges help ?

User avatar
smj
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA, NA, Earth, Sol
Contact:

Re: Signature line computer icons.

Unread postby smj » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:48 pm

hamei wrote:Hate to be a spoilsport but the white does not show up at all well on the light blue background. Reminds me of that famous painting "Black Cat Sitting in a Coal Mine at Midnight."
Yeah, I noticed this with the IRIS 3130 icon, and that's darker. But these cabinets were a pretty light cream color (before the sunlight got to 'em, anyway). I don't think an outline is going to look right. Any suggestions? Lots of gear that comes to mind is going to have the same issue...
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

ramq
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:06 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Signature line computer icons.

Unread postby ramq » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:07 am

Pontus wrote:Thank you! Already in my signature. Soon there will be no space left for text :D

Speaking of which... How's my old DECsystem doing?
:O3200: :Fuel: :Indy: :O3x02L:

Pontus
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 12:12 pm
Location: Uppsala, Sweden

Re: Signature line computer icons.

Unread postby Pontus » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:44 am

smj wrote:
hamei wrote:Hate to be a spoilsport but the white does not show up at all well on the light blue background. Reminds me of that famous painting "Black Cat Sitting in a Coal Mine at Midnight."
Yeah, I noticed this with the IRIS 3130 icon, and that's darker. But these cabinets were a pretty light cream color (before the sunlight got to 'em, anyway). I don't think an outline is going to look right. Any suggestions? Lots of gear that comes to mind is going to have the same issue...


Hmm, I did notice.. but I think we will have to live with it.

ramq wrote:
Pontus wrote:Thank you! Already in my signature. Soon there will be no space left for text :D

Speaking of which... How's my old DECsystem doing?


Just fine, I'm working on restoring some Amiga 500 and an Indigo 2 right now so it is not getting much attention. But it will come in handy when I need to read some RA disk. I'm hoping to save some data from RA82 disk which I will have to throw away afterwards... they are just _huge_

/P
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se

Pontus
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 12:12 pm
Location: Uppsala, Sweden

Re: Signature line computer icons.

Unread postby Pontus » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:11 am

Here is my contribution, the PDP-8/e.

Also, I was wondering if I could use these icons on my own site? It's a great way to illustrate your collection.
Attachments
pdp-8e.png
PDP-8/e Icon
pdp-8e.png (410 Bytes) Viewed 575 times
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se


Return to “Nekochan Net”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests