Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:26 am 

I have emailed Larry, lets see if I get a reply :)

FWIW http://twitter.com/opensolaris

/michael

risk.

Last edited by mila on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:41 am 

eMGee wrote:
I did eventually manage to install OpenBSD on my SS5 via a serial console/terminal connection, but the FB is not recognized or functioning properly; it doesn't appear as if it's going to work. I also tried Debian “Etch,” the last one for 32-bit SPARC, but it choked once starting to load the “ESP” SCSI kernel module during the installation every time. I tried to surpass it via the expert installer, no luck either.

What kind of FB do you have, not the odd 24bit?

/michael

risk.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:58 am 

mila wrote:

/michael

You mean the highly sought Fujitsu AG10?

:O2: 400MHz R12k - :320: Dual 550MHz PIII - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 G3@280 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP 200LX

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:13 pm 

zahal wrote:
mila wrote:

/michael

From what I know, S24 was the name, I am a very patient HW engineer but that adapter was so slow so even I was about
to go crazy when using it. At that time I had left one company and got a SS5 with the S24 then I stayed home with by first kid for a year
and Jesus to surf on that, luckily everyting was OpenWindows/Motif then not GNOME :)

/michael

risk.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:51 pm 

eMGee wrote:
mila wrote:

zahal wrote:

No on both counts, it's 8-bit only (as far as I know) and it has a regular VGA HD15 interface instead of 13W3 (which is convenient for me, since I don't have too many SOG-capable monitors).

I can't open up the case to check for the part number, (because the system is busy installing at the moment). I believe it's one of these [see below], which is apparently made by Integrix and it's a single slot SBUS card. Well, I'm almost positive that this is the one I have, the PCBs look almost identical to me.

Aha, I have once had such a board but never used it. You should try and get a better board I think, a CG6 for instance or a TGX+.

BTW, you don't need SoG monitor for Sun!

/michael

risk.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:50 pm 

eMGee wrote:
mila wrote:
Aha, I have once had such a board but never used it. You should try and get a better board I think, a CG6 for instance or a TGX+.

BTW, you don't need SoG monitor for Sun!

I have one of those (TGX1, CG6), but it's 8-bit only and I don't really know what its advantages are; support for higher resolutions? (In fact, I'm actually trying to sell it).

The thing is, I tried it once, with a Sun 13W3<=>HD15 converter, but it wouldn't work though. The monitor got no signal. I tried it with both a converter piece and a cable (although the cable was wired for SGI 13W3). This was one of the reasons I'm keen on selling it...

CG6 is only 8 bit but fast!

13W3 to HD15 should work fine, was it connected correctly?

/michael

risk.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:24 am 

Just started to navigate on Oracle website and their download site which displays on the top
"Software Downloads
Free to download, free to learn, unlimited evaluation time

All software downloads are free, and most come with a Development License that allows you to use full versions of the products at no charge while developing and prototyping your applications, or for strictly self-educational purposes. (Some downloads on this page, however, may have licenses with different terms.) You can buy products with full-use licenses at any time from the online Store or from your sales representative.
"

Is that not in conflict with the "new" Solaris license, or does the license actually say the same thing if readed carefully?

Anyhow, from my point of view I think the Oracle license model is nice, free for test and learn, pay for commercial use.

/michael

risk.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:37 am 

mila wrote:
From what I know, S24 was the name, I am a very patient HW engineer but that adapter was so slow so even I was about
to go crazy when using it. At that time I had left one company and got a SS5 with the S24 then I stayed home with by first kid for a year
and Jesus to surf on that, luckily everyting was OpenWindows/Motif then not GNOME :)

Yep, S24 sounds about right. I used to have an SS5/170 with one of those, running Aurora Sparc Linux at the time (despite the known problems of Linux with the 170MHz TurboSparc). Among other things I was using it for Xsane in connection with a SCSI scanner - and I was actually quite happy with it. But then again I've seen time and time again where people would complain about things being slow when I never noticed it, so maybe I'm just exceptionally patient... (yeah, right, that must be it...) ;)

Sun SS1/1+/2/4/5/10/20/ELC/IPC/IPX/Classic/LX/Classic X/Xterminal 1, U1/1E/5/30, JS1/NC;
DTK Station U-2/2x360; Apple iMac DV G3/400; Toshiba Libretto 110CT + even more PCs

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:46 am 

The S24 was from my memory ok in a shell, I think I shall try and start that SS5 110MHz tonight if I can find a monitor cable since I have dumped all CRT with 3W3 connector (: Exept one granite coloured marked Silicon <logo> Graphics on my lovely I2 :) :)

To have a slow box or having a slow environment like doing simualtions for hours and days, you tend to think more of the code you write
before running make which I think is much much better than quick try and fix and again and again, atleast that is my experience :)
AND you can save licenses alot!

/michael

risk.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:11 am 

eMGee wrote:
I believe it's one of these [see below], which is apparently made by Integrix and it's a single slot SBUS card. Well, I'm almost positive that this is the one I have, the PCBs look almost identical to me.

This is odd - the Integrix S20V is compatible with the sun cgthree (except for the output connector, of course), and should be recognized as such. I have one myself and it works fine under OpenBSD.

Could you mail me a
Code:
dmesg
from your system, as well as the output of
Code:
eeprom -p
so that I can investigate further?

:Indigo:R4000 :Indigo2:R4400 :Indigo2IMP:R4400 :Indigo2:R8000 :Indigo2IMP:R10000 :Indy:R4000PC :Indy:R4000SC :Indy:R4600 :Indy:R5000SC :O2:R5000 :O2:RM7000 :Octane:2xR10000 :Octane:R12000 :O200:2xR12000 :O200: - :O200:2x2xR10000 :Fuel:R16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI, Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:06 am 

Hi,
More of Solaris license., this is from the download page!

"Solaris 10 Registration Process for Non-Download Customers
If you obtained Solaris 10 by means other than a download or are installing Solaris 10 on systems that have not yet been registered, you must still register to receive an Entitlement Document that gives you the right to use the software past the 90-day evaluation period and for commercial purposes. Follow the same process described above for download customers. After completing the download survey, you will be redirected to the Solaris 10 download page for downloading. Simply forego downloading; your Entitlement Document will be sent to your registered e-mail address. "

So, if you have a machine with Solaris 10 or by other means got hold of Solaris 10, you must register(free) and the you can run!!

/michael

risk.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:22 pm 

From de Licensing Policies Regarding the Solaris Operating System:

Code:
E. Used Sun Computer Equipment

* (...)
    * Used Sun Computer Systems Sold by Others:A very limited number of companies are authorized to include a valid Solaris license when they resell used Sun equipment. Except for these few authorized used equipment resellers, no broker, dealer, auction house or other third party that sells a used Sun system has any right to distribute Solaris software with that system. An end user buying from such non-authorized brokers, dealers etc. should be aware that it has no valid license to use the Solaris software, and must obtain the Solaris 10 software and register the purchased system with Sun or purchase a Right To Use (RTU) license for Solaris 8 or 9. In almost all cases, the Solaris Operating System should be stripped from used Sun equipment sold by brokers, dealers, etc. before it is transferred to a new end user.

Unless otherwise required by law or specifically authorized by Sun, any Sun system that is acquired from a non-authorized reseller does not include a valid license to the Solaris OS. In such a situation, Sun Microsystems and its authorized subsidiaries are the only source for obtaining the Solaris software and rights to use the Solaris OS.

The important part: 'and must obtain the Solaris 10 software and register the purchased system with Sun or purchase a Right To Use (RTU) license for Solaris 8 or 9.'.
I understand that register my system doesn't means I will have the rights to use Sol10. Only 8 or 9, the software release which was installed by Sun at the time of send the server from the warehouse.

http://unixverse.blogspot.com

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:48 pm 

Read on - you need to look at the document as a whole.

In the "Solaris 10 download customers" portion of the license it states:

Quote:
Please remember, your right to use Solaris acquired as a download is limited to a trial of 90 days, unless you acquire a service contract for the downloaded Software.

I think Oracle is still working out the license terms - this license seems a bit different from the one that was there a couple of weeks ago. The service agreement is much less emphasized here - perhaps Oracle's moving away from that idea.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:14 pm 

I still have a copy of Solaris 10 that Sun sent me in the mail. There's an "Importatnt Notice" on the packaging that reads:
Code:
The Solaris 10 software in this DVD case is provided under the Sun Microsystems, Inc. Software License Agreement (SLA) found in the file "license" on the DVD and displayed during installation. Please read the SLA carefully before installing, copying, or otherwise using the software.  Your access, installation, copying or use of the software indicates that you agree to be bound by all the terms of the SLA. If you do not agree with them, do not install, copy or otherwise use the software.
Sounds like pretty standard boilerplate to me <though I never opened the DVD to read the "license" file>.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:33 am 

recondas wrote:
I still have a copy of Solaris 10 that Sun sent me in the mail. There's an "Importatnt Notice" on the packaging that reads:
Code:
The Solaris 10 software in this DVD case is provided under the Sun Microsystems, Inc. Software License Agreement (SLA) found in the file "license" on the DVD and displayed during installation. Please read the SLA carefully before installing, copying, or otherwise using the software.  Your access, installation, copying or use of the software indicates that you agree to be bound by all the terms of the SLA. If you do not agree with them, do not install, copy or otherwise use the software.
Sounds like pretty standard boilerplate to me <though I never opened the DVD to read the "license" file>.

The Sun license was very permissive - you only needed to register your system for either commercial or non-commercial use. The Oracle license that is in force for newly downloaded copies is what is being discussed above, and Oracle has tightened up on free use.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next