Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:18 pm 

My mom's PowerBook just started having display oddities on the onboard display (monitor (analog) connected to the video-out port is just fine). PB G4/1.6 17" screen.

The graphics have odd color casts and look "pixellated" (don't know how else to say it). It was supposedly a rather rapid transition one night as well. The TechTool diagnostics say everything's good, but it obviously isn't.

I'm 95% sure that it's the LCD panel drivers, since I checked the panel connector cable and all wires appear connected. The bad news is that it seems rather difficult to find that panel for under $300 (I found a couple places that say they have it and then tell you they don't after placing the order that were less expensive). Since it's a bit expensive, I want to make sure it is the LCD and I also need to think about the value equation. It's been a good computer, but would a used Intel Macintosh or a "hackbook" be better?

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:05 am 

I think I remember that the G4 1.6's had a screen issue that started to crop up. As well you know getting it fixed at this point is probably then it is worth. Guess it comes down to how bad does it need to be "mobile", if she can plugged into the external monitor and get a another year or 2 out of it might that be good enough?

-Mike

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:18 am 

There are probably a fairly limited number of LCD panel manufacturers. If apple didn't spec too much customization, you might be able to find the a clone panel or parts that'd work. The price <especially on the used market> might be better if Apple or Powerbook isn't part of the panel's description.

Here's a post describing one person's experience using a non-apple panel as a replacement in a 15' PB: http://www.david-reitter.com/software/p ... index.html

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *