Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:18 pm 

This is just a thought, but have you considered an aftermarket system from the likes of dangerden or thermaltake et al?

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:34 pm 

pentium wrote:
Also, unrelated pic of inside the water block of one of the G5 cooling units.

Wanna get a thousand friends overnight, pentium ? Buy a bead blaster.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm 

Pentium, if you have time to waste, and can read french, A guy rebuilt his whole Watercooling unit from his G5 using copper tubing and loctite 510 for the leaky gaskets.

Looks like his modifications and cleaning got him a far more efficient unit, he claimed a 20c lower temperature and equal temps between cpus, from his setup.

If the G5 still works, it could prove a nice project.

http://forum.macbidouille.com/index.php?showtopic=232018&st=300

Amiga A1200 starting to work on this one.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:26 am 

The system is no longer in my hands.
After a few beers and a walk I finally struck a deal with him that we both agreed on so I'm sending the untouched cooling unit as well as the rest of the G5 to him. I on the other hand get to keep the cooling loop I did open as well as the two 2.5ghz PIMMS that used to be attached to it. It will probably end up on my shelf as a trophy and a tag saying "the one that got away". :)
Also, yes, the water blocks are not too big.
Attachment:
P7142843.JPG
P7142843.JPG [ 427.26 KiB | Viewed 340 times ]

Still, it appears to do its job as we don't see many burned out G5 cores. Just crappy and leaking Delphi cooling units.

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

pentium wrote:
Still, it appears to do its job as we don't see many burned out G5 cores. Just crappy and leaking Delphi cooling units.

I had (at least) one of my 2.5GHz G5 CPUs die, though Apple replaced the dual CPU module under Applecare as the machine wasn't quite a year old at the time. Took a couple trips to the local Apple store before they performed the repair as it was extremely flakey - it would only lock the machine after it had been stressed for a bit.

All Rights Reserved.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:30 pm 

nekonoko wrote:
pentium wrote:

I had (at least) one of my 2.5GHz G5 CPUs die, though Apple replaced the dual CPU module under Applecare as the machine wasn't quite a year old at the time. Took a couple trips to the local Apple store before they performed the repair as it was extremely flakey - it would only lock the machine after it had been stressed for a bit.

Those G5s were a hit/miss proposition, if no major issues propped during the first 6 months... they tend to be rock solid. If there were glitches however, they were too temperamental and a complete loss unless you had it covered under applecare. I think the initial high return rate was one of the reasons why Apple was pretty much over the whole PPC experiment.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:55 pm 

R-ten-K wrote:
If there were glitches however, they were too temperamental and a complete loss unless you had it covered under applecare. I think the initial high return rate was one of the reasons why Apple was pretty much over the whole PPC experiment.

Time to market ! Time to market ! Hurry, hurry ! We don't got time for none of that pansy-ass design and testing garbage ! It'll be fine, gotta get them products out the door or Wall Street will kill us !

I sincerely hope Uncle Miltie is frying in Hell along with all the jerks who set up the Harvard Business School.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hamei wrote:
Time to market ! Time to market ! Hurry, hurry ! We don't got time for none of that pansy-ass design and testing garbage ! It'll be fine, gotta get them products out the door or Wall Street will kill us !

Yeah, I ditched mine when the Mac Pro came out - the reports were already ramping up about coolant leaks at the time, and I was able to sell it locally for $1500. Put it towards the Mac Pro, which has been flawless :)

All Rights Reserved.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:43 pm 

I had the last revision dual core 2.0GHz G5 (PCI-E / DDR2) model. It was a pretty fantastic machine but every one of my current machines out performed it.

Some day I would love to get an MP, but I can't justify the cost (especially the new ones) considering my current work load.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

zmttoxics wrote:
Some day I would love to get an MP, but I can't justify the cost (especially the new ones) considering my current work load.

Yeah, it seemed a good idea at the time, but the whole "obsolescence via EFI32" thing (I have a MacPro1,1) really pisses me off.

All Rights Reserved.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:00 am 

So, do you have the quad core or the 8 core?

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi
Dell XPS M1530

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's a quad core 2.66GHz machine, parked in my living room for entertainment purposes (video, music, etc). I do all my heavy lifting on an i7 Hackintosh these days.

All Rights Reserved.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:40 pm 

Entertainment machine!? I'll trade you my girlfriend's mini for it. Thats an "entertainment" machine. :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Heh, I've thought about selling it and getting a mini, but it does come in handy for Hackintosh installs. Just slap a SATA drive in there, install the OS, a few extensions and a bootloader, slap the drive in a PC, done ;)

All Rights Reserved.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:48 pm 

nekonoko wrote:
zmttoxics wrote:

Yeah, it seemed a good idea at the time, but the whole "obsolescence via EFI32" thing (I have a MacPro1,1) really pisses me off.

I got one of the 1st gen mac pros too. And the whole EFI32 has pissed me off beyond belief, in fact I ended up selling it and assembling a hackintosh with better graphics and processor for a fraction of the cost. Sometimes Apple does some very very very retarded things. I hate the fact that they were touting the "expandability" of the mac pro (initially at least) as one of the reasons for the premium price, when they could not accept gfx boards that had been launched less than 1 year after their initial shipping (the mac pro that is).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next