Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:47 pm 

Installing a Fuel VPro graphics board in an Origin 350 server results in change to the PROM system type - the PROM identifies the system as an Onyx 350 InfinitePerformance. Because the Onyx350 InfinitePerformance and the rackmounted version of the Tezro appear to be identical from a hardware standpoint, bri3d was curious if the procedure could be taken a step further; converting the Origin350/Onyx350 into a Tezro Rackmounted Workstation.

bri3d wrote:
The Tezro was codenamed Chimera, and so is the O350 (according to PROM settings).

In addition, there's a PROM flag to switch between a "ChiBlade" and a "Rackmounted Workstation" (which seems to have no effect on my system - I've tried both settings and they stick but don't seem to do anything) - so I think we've got it.

Now someone just needs to grab a V12 and try it!

Caution: There is a element of risk involved in this procedure - do not attempt it if you aren't will to risk a fubar'd system. This procedure *will* erase your system serial number. An L2 Controller *might* restore your system serial number, but there are no guarantees.

I had an Origin 350 with a V12 installed, which resulted in the PROM displaying the Onyx InfinitePerformance boot screen. I elected to test bri3d's suspicion that the presence of the VPro might make it possible to 'convert' the PROM machine type from Onyx InfinitePerformance to Tezro Rackmounted Workstation <with the L1 command "make rmws 1"> :
    Code:
    001c01-L1>make rmws 1
    Rackmounted Workstation type set
    reboot_l1
When the L1 rebooted, the 'brick' command returned:
    Code:
    rack: 001, slot: 01, partition: none, type: Rackmount WS [2MB flash], serial:NME262, source: EEPROM
... followed almost immediately by
    Code:
    ERROR: Power up error: No assigned System Serial Number.  See log for details.
An L1 "serial all" revealed the System Serial Number was blank <with a "P" prefix; P0000000>.

At this point you'd have no method of recovery unless you have an L2 Controller.

I do have an L2 controller already configured with the original Mxxxxxxx serial number for my Origin 350. An L2 controller configured to work with Origin 3x0 systems <meaning it has a valid "Mxxxxxxx" serial number> should automatically assign that serial number to connected O3x0s with blank system serial numbers.

It is possible to change L2 Controller serial number <and serial number prefix>. So it should be possible to use the L2 "serial set <string>" command to set a "P" prefix serial number in the L2, then use the L2 controller to assign that "P" serial number to the Origin 350 with the blank rmws serial number. If successful, this would create a system that would appear to to the PROM as a Tezro RackMounted WorkStation <rmws>.

Because I hope to be able to expand this system in the future <the rack mounted Tezro is limited to a single peer connection>, I elected to return the system to it's original serial number with the L1 command "make rmws 0" followed by another "reboot_l1". When the L1 rebooted the L2 discovered the blank serial number <without the "P" prefix"> and re-wrote the original system serial number. The L1 command "brick" again returns
    Code:
    rack: 001, slot: 01, partition: none, type: Chimera Blade [2MB flash], serial:NME262, source: EEPROM

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:42 am 

recondas wrote:
An L1 "serial all" revealed the System Serial Number was blank <with a "P" prefix; P0000000

With this little pointer from recondas, I was able to run make rmws 1 on my Origin 350 with a V10 again, and, contrary to my previous suspicions, the system happily took the new P-prefix serial number.

I booted up the PROM (which worked, this time) and was greeted by a lovely "Silicon Graphics Tezro(tm) visual workstation" screen.

Then I tried doing the same thing to my other (headless) system, and, despite the "brick" command still returning the Chimera Server type, the system will now take a P-prefix serial number as well.

Since both systems have matching serial numbers now, they boot up NUMALinked, giving me a quad-1Ghz Tezro Rackmount!

Discreet's licensing still sees the system as a "fuelv10" - I believe this is a side-effect of the V10, and that with a V12 I would have a fully-recognized Tezro.

Check out my hinv thread, viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16719032 for pretty pictures.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:40 pm 

So the reason to do this is Discreet apps, or is there some other benefit?

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:07 pm 

SAQ wrote:

What "benefit" is there in any casual user owning an SGI system? Dunno about you, but I think turning a 200 dollar Origin 350 server into a 2500 dollar Tezro visual workstation is a pretty neat trick - not to mention a nice fringe 'benefit' if you like figuring out what makes things tick.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:12 pm 

recondas wrote:
... 200 dollar Origin 350 server ....

Where ? Where ? I'm ready !

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:56 pm 

hamei wrote:
recondas wrote:
... 200 dollar Origin 350 server* ....

Did you read the fine print?

* Offer not available to residents of the People's Republic of China and may be subject to certain other restrictions.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:53 am 

recondas wrote:
Did you read the fine print?

* Offer not available to residents of the People's Republic of China and may be subject to certain other restrictions.

Damned Commerce Department :(

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:19 am 

recondas wrote:
SAQ wrote:

What "benefit" is there in any casual user owning an SGI system? Dunno about you, but I think turning a 200 dollar Origin 350 server into a 2500 dollar Tezro visual workstation is a pretty neat trick - not to mention a nice fringe 'benefit' if you like figuring out what makes things tick.

Yeah, but the other naming option was Onyx350 InfinitePerformance, right? That sounds more "Gonzo SGI marketing"/higher coolness factor then a mere Tezro V12.

Figuring out how they do things is good, though. I like that :D .

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:21 am 

Lol, at least you can get a 350 power supply for about $200 on ebay :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:42 am 

un_ wrote:

If you can find a source other than eBay, $200 isn't an unreasonable expectation for an O350. Most of the SGI hardware that I have came from various surplus sales, auctions or outlets. It tales some extra effort to find them, keep up with what's being sold, and travel back and forth. None of the surplus venues I've used are closer than 75 miles; I just made a 1000 mile round trip to get a 16-processor O300 <good deal though, round trip gasoline cost more than the complete 16p system>.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:33 pm 

hamei wrote:
recondas wrote:
... 200 dollar Origin 350 server ....

un_ wrote:

An eBay auction for an Origin 350 with dual 700MHz processors ended today with a winning bid of $81 <and that included an O200 for shipping ballast>.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... NA:US:1123
They *can* be had for much less than mega-bucks - and apparently for even less than the $200 I mentioned. This auction *probably* closed low because of the seller's mention of pickup only. That's standard practice for that seller, and as usual they included a list of proxy shippers.

BTW, a nekochan member won the auction - but I'll leave it up to him to identify himself if he chooses>.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:32 am 

recondas wrote:
BTW, a nekochan member won the auction - but I'll leave it up to him to identify himself if he chooses>.

whoever it is i hate him :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:30 pm 

I was seriously considered bidding, but I was deterred by the 6 hour drive to pick it up. Maybe if it was guaranteed to be working and not sitting on all the ports on the back...

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:07 pm 

pierocks wrote:
Maybe if it was guaranteed to be working and not sitting on all the ports on the back...

Kinda why I stopped at $40.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:59 pm 

pierocks wrote:
I was deterred by the 6 hour drive to pick it up.

The seller, H_FMT, lists all of their auctions as "pickup only". That doesn't mean *you* have to drive there and physically claim it - it just means *they* won't ship it. That auction <and all of the rest I've seen from H_FMT> included a list of proxy shippers. Any of 'em would have been glad to handle shipping for you. Probably would have cost you an extra $50 - $100 dollars - but that still would have left room for a reasonably priced O350.