Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: Radeon 7000 no video
Unread postPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:31 pm 

I picked up a 9600 today to replace my 8600 while I was in Vancouver. It has a dead PROM battery so the system kept switching over to the video output on the Avid card so I pulled the Avid cards and then dropped my modified Radeon 7000 (it was made for a PC but I reprogrammed the EEPROM so it works in a mac) into the system and powered it on so I could see if the card worked.
I get the usual chime and then the status led on my screen goes green (video signal detected) but after a moment it goes back to amber (standby/no video signal) and that's it. Yes I can hear the system boot up but with no video I can't really do much and yes I have tried bit the DVI and VGA ports on the card but they both do the same things mentioned above. Is the card just not going to work in this system?
I do have a Twin turbo 128M8 mac PCI video card and it works fine in the 9600 but it's only an 8Mb card and I would much prefer using the far better Radeon 7000.

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

Post subject: Re: Radeon 7000 no video
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:11 am 

pentium wrote:
It has a dead PROM battery

Or do you mean PRAM? Start with the basics and use a working battery, then see what the video does.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:04 am 

porter wrote:
pentium wrote:
It has a dead PROM battery

Or do you mean PRAM? Start with the basics and use a working battery, then see what the video does.

Yes, PRAM. I have been fighting with that 4D/20 for waaaaaay too long it seems. :P
I don't have access to a suitable replacement mac battery I don't think as I think all of mine are dead but I'll see if I can make a substitute out of three Ni-MH batteries.

EDIT: >:/
I swear I had batteries and a holder clip here but I guess I was wrong. Looks like I'll have to put this project on the back burner until I can supply myself with the parts.

EDIT:
Found a semi-good battery in my B/W G3 that's reading 2.7 volts but still, I'm not getting video.

Yes, I did press the CUDA switch and try using Command + option + P + R but that didn't do anything either (and the latter I don't thing thing was even resetting the PRAM as I was not hearing the usual chime associated with the system clearing the PRAM and restarting).

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:55 pm 

The Radeon 7000 is only supported since OS 9. Are you sure the 9600 is running this version?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:13 pm 

Until I can get a problem with a G3 upgrade figured out (system won't even chime with it installed so it does not like something on the board or the module itself is bad), this box is currently stuck at 9.1 instead of 9.2.2 which is the recommended version to install the Radeon drivers at (though this should not mean the system can't even initialize the card before it can even boot)
Anyways, I plugged in a second PCI video card (the one that came with the system) and booted it up and It can't see the Radeon 7000 at all :/ It can see the video output on the Avid card but the Radeon 7000 seems invisible to the mac. I then went and checked in a pc to see that I did actually flash the card and I got the "video card error" beep so It is indeed reprogrammed for use in a mac now (as the BIOS in the pc can no longer make heads or tails of the card).

EDIT: I put the card into my B/W G3 and low and behold I got a video signal.
Crap. So now it looks like either:
a) Modified cards will not work in systems with old-world ROM even though their true mac versions can
b) I'm doing something wrong still
c)Aside from this system having an Avid badge on it, there is something else different with the ROM.

EDIT: I have now narrowed it down to something in particular with either the EEPROM on the card or the ROM in the mac.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:17 pm 

Okay, so I'm going to assume the G3 card is dead unless I can find some other reason why it refuses to work and I'll look into investing in a proper mac Radeon card once I know they will work in my 9600.