Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: Ach! Broken hinge!
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:33 pm 

Well,

I suppose it's a year for breaking things! My Titanium Powerbooks hinges (BOTH!) snapped today when the cat decided to flip the screen 135 degrees. Nothing is going right at the moment.

Now running with a closed lid. It seems replacement hinges are expensive. Everything else works, including the screen, it just won't stay up. This little machine has never let me down in 5 1/2 years. Superb bit of kit!

Might look at a Mac Pro as replacement for both machines...Sigh, more money to spend! Got to get the Octane sold now...FAST!

Anybody wanna see some nice photos to bring tears to the eyes?!

-Jacques

Post subject: Re: Ach! Broken hinge!
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:01 am 

Well,

I managed to finally spend some time looking at my Tibook's hinges. With the help of some Devcon Epoxy and lots of clips / pliers / bending / shaping I've managed to restore my hinges to some as best possible. The left hinge only needed to be re-seated, epoxied and clamped.

The right hinge was completely snapped so that took some extra work. No matter what I did I couldn't get the hinge to keep. I had to take it all apart, pry the hinge open slightly to loosen it, some steel epoxy to hold the screen panels in place, then clamp and epoxy. As there was nothing to really provide any leverage, I had to cover the hinge with a steel plate epoxied to the bezel....

-JTo

(And I now have a Mac Pro...)

Attachments:
_DSC9698.JPG
_DSC9698.JPG [ 58.31 KiB | Viewed 216 times ]

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:03 am 

Image 2

Attachments:
_DSC9699.JPG
_DSC9699.JPG [ 52.11 KiB | Viewed 216 times ]

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:16 am 

Good job!

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:13 am 

I must say I'm really impressed by this little work-horse! It still manages 90% of stuff I need to do, but alas is starting to show with bloated Flash and heavy RAM intensive apps. Who thought in 2002 you wouldn't need more than 1 Gig of RAM?!?

-JTo

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:37 pm 

They are great machines, but you are right, the Flash crap is starting to wear them down a little. I recently switched from Firefox 2 to Firefox 3 on my aluminum Powerbook - noticeably faster. Adding the Adblock Plus extension should help the Powerbook last a while longer.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:04 pm 

I had a similar problem with my hp. But I took the lazy route and just ordered a new hinge from their parts department. The amount of damage a couple of feet drop can do. ;( Survived plenty of kittens and small children though.

...Anyways:

Attachments:
DSC07859 (Small).JPG
DSC07859 (Small).JPG [ 20.34 KiB | Viewed 555 times ]

The people of earth never were cut out for this sedentary lifestyle. Millions of years of evolution, fine tuning these beautiful nomadic legs, and in less than two hundred years we’ve folded them up and put them away under our laptops.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:47 am 

Funny things is, the hinges aren't even steel! They're either a soft pewter type material (bend it with your fingers!) or aluminium...Very soft for the work they do!

Pity about your HP, at least it looks like the hinge was easily accessible.

(Am now fighting with my Mac Pro's 8800GT card, Maya 2008 and 10.5.6! Seems like none of these like each other! Rolling back to 10.5.4. BTW: Maya on OS X is one large piece of dung as far as I'm concerned, have bootcamped, but I hate Windows, and nothing else is on my Windows partition! Maybe Fedora....Maya 6.5 on IRIX is super slick!)

-Jto

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:58 am 

JacquesT wrote:
Funny things is, the hinges aren't even steel! They're either a soft pewter type material (bend it with your fingers!) or aluminium...Very soft for the work they do!

(Am now fighting with my Mac Pro's 8800GT card, Maya 2008 and 10.5.6! Seems like none of these like each other! Rolling back to 10.5.4. BTW: Maya on OS X is one large piece of dung as far as I'm concerned, have bootcamped, but I hate Windows, and nothing else is on my Windows partition! Maybe Fedora....Maya 6.5 on IRIX is super slick!)

-Jto

have you ever tried maya on 10.4, if it's not better? as far as i know, it works much better

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:25 pm 

toxygen wrote:
JacquesT wrote:

-Jto

have you ever tried maya on 10.4, if it's not better? as far as i know, it works much better

No can do! My 8800GT has a minimum requirement of 10.5.2...Regret I bought the 8800GT. Should have taken the 2600HD and then upgraded to a ATI HD3870 card. Not quite on par for games,but then I don't play games!

Does anybody know if the Quadro drivers for Apple are different to the Geforce drivers?...Might mod my 8800GT to a 3700 Quadro. I have the roms.

-JTo

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:04 pm 

JacquesT wrote:
I must say I'm really impressed by this little work-horse! It still manages 90% of stuff I need to do, but alas is starting to show with bloated Flash and heavy RAM intensive apps. Who thought in 2002 you wouldn't need more than 1 Gig of RAM?!?

I still have mine and I am impressed with what it still can do, although I have noticed that it has been getting slower and slower it seems when just browsing the web. Damn Flash sites all over.

I put 2gb ram in mine and it helps a bit but not really an amazing jump.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:43 pm 

My 7 year old powerbook is still my main machine. These things really are well made! I'm kind of expecting the hard drive to crash any day now, though...