Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:38 pm 

Hi,
being tortured by the endless leopard software updates. My macbook will randomly grind to a halt for 15 minutes or so while the horrible softwareupdate program does stuff in the background. It chomps bandwidth and presents me with trash I don't want. How do I stop the auto-software update running? Can I actually cripple this service some how? I was a bit fed up and thought rm -rf /System/CoreServices/SoftwareUpdate but thought no better not freak out.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:20 pm 

I would start with System Preferences, Software Update, uncheck "Check for updates" or at least "Download important updates automatically".

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:04 am 

yes found it after a little while thanks. I was looking for a unix service in crontab first. Mac os really is so far away from unix it's shocking. So glad they dumped netinfo though. That really was terrible to configure.

thanks for your reply.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:36 am 

Just finish all the updates and you'll be fine... :roll:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:08 am 

It's the safari update I didn't want. Online banking breaks as does a lot of other session driven web apps. With the latest safari I couldn't even log into my own site. Have apple fixed this yet or are they leaving it?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:25 am 

Safari is fine with every one site I use, including on-line banking and some other sites that requires log on.

Safari 3.2.1 (5525.27.1)

By the way, have you tried clearing cookies?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:50 am 

And have you tried looking through the menus for that option not to bother you about certain updates ever again?

Apple still haven't invented the mind reader, yet. amazing how long that's taking them, isn't it?

.tsooJ

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:41 am 

khalidschofield wrote:
So glad they dumped netinfo though. That really was terrible to configure.

funny, most of my friends (programmers) complain about not having netinfo in leopard.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:23 am 

khalidschofield wrote:
yes found it after a little while thanks. I was looking for a unix service in crontab first. Mac os really is so far away from unix it's shocking. So glad they dumped netinfo though. That really was terrible to configure.

thanks for your reply.

I hated my first experience with OS X Server - all the talk about "It's UNIX - industrial strength and open!" and then you go to start configuring stuff and all the files say "this file is only used in single-user mode" :x .

Still irritating for a UNIX-head, but I guess experience has tempered some of the annoyance.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:49 am 

SAQ wrote:
I hated my first experience with OS X Server - all the talk about "It's UNIX - industrial strength and open!" and then you go to start configuring stuff and all the files say "this file is only used in single-user mode" :x .

Maybe showing my inexperience, but how would that differ from using another vendors directory system (NIS)? Aside from being in place as default? I suppose netinfo was into a few more corners, you should be glad they at least gave you the hint: "this file is only used in single-user mode."

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:37 pm 

NIS is much nicer and easy to admin certainly in small to medium deployments. I just didn't get on well with netinfo. I found the tools given by apple and the documentation a pain to deal with.

I never actually managed to get my mac to mount NFS shares and gave up bothering and used the nasty smb service instead.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:19 pm 

japes wrote:
SAQ wrote:

Maybe showing my inexperience, but how would that differ from using another vendors directory system (NIS)? Aside from being in place as default? I suppose netinfo was into a few more corners, you should be glad they at least gave you the hint: "this file is only used in single-user mode."

Can't remember the whole song and dance, but for some reason the machine wouldn't boot into full multiuser/graphics mode and I was tasked with getting it running. It was a bear trying to figure out what it was looking for with only a text interface, but I suppose that it was more inexperience than anything, and being irritated because I knew exactly what I would have had to tweak in a "real UNIX" system (/etc files).

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:06 pm 

I think that was my problem as well. Inexperience with netinfo. I'm really liking OpenBSD these days due to it's old school unix style of doing things. Some bits can be a pain but most of OpenBSD is very easy to deal with. Linux has become very messy to deal with too these days. I feel more like a butcher than a system manager with linux boxes these days. I opted for OpenBSD to run a pile of ecommerce platforms from and to be honest it was really easy to port. I thought it would be a minor disaster porting such a big system over but it was a walk in the park.