Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:07 am 

I know I know , it has been widely discussed here about 5.6 as the last IRIX edition, Case CLosed ...
But today, walking on the sgi site to have a better knowledge of the IRIX 6.5 commands, i find this emulator, softwin , which emulates windows 95;
"DESCRIPTION
SoftWindows 95 is a software emulation of an IBM PC using an
Intel 80586 MMX processor. It allows direct execution of
DOS and MS-Windows applications on Unix Workstations and
includes interfaces to allow the use of host facilities such
as the Unix file system, CD-ROM drives, networking, printers
and comms ports. SoftWindows 95 uses the X Window System,
Version 11 Release 6
"

If this emulation works as good, it could be a way to have LW 8.0 , particle system, dynamics, endomorphs and the fast render (10 times better than the 5.6). One of the nekochan member made tests of softwin with the win 98 system. I think it could be a good idea to test softwin/LW on our machines. I sure dont want the Krosoft win95 system on my octane, just lightwave..... what do you think about it ?

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... at1/swin.z

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:13 am 

stop to dream..... if you can launch LW8.0 on softwin (i don"t think so..) it be realy slow...

Laurent

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:16 pm 

Ditto. Assuming that LW8 would even run under SoftWindows, it would be unbearably slow.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:01 am 

ajerimez wrote:
Ditto. Assuming that LW8 would even run under SoftWindows, it would be unbearably slow.

Windows 3.1 apps run pretty good tho. I've been using DesignView recently. Not bad.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:37 am 

to be more realist, a windows benchmark give me a 586 w MMX at 10-12Mhz....with a 600Mhz R14k....

let's be serious

Laurent

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:38 am 

fzalfa wrote:
to be more realist, a windows benchmark give me a 586 w MMX at 10-12Mhz....with a 600Mhz R14k....

I actually got work done on a 4.7 mhz 286 :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hamei wrote:
actually got work done on a 4.7 mhz 286 :)

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking your Windows 3.X software would actually work out pretty well - back then, a 10-12MHz processor was quite common (my first Windows 3.0 machine was a 12MHz 286).

All Rights Reserved.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:42 am 

i must try a bench with win3.1 on old iron running softwindows2...

Laurent

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:51 pm 

hamei wrote:
fzalfa wrote:

I actually got work done on a 4.7 mhz 286 :)

So have I. I still wanted to kill myself.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:59 pm 

scottE wrote:
So have I. I still wanted to kill myself.

:D Some stuff worked fine tho. First Choice was not slow. In fact, it was quicker and more reliable than Word 2007. Footprintworks was nice and fast. The web browsed just as fast on a 486 and Webexplorer as it does on a Fuel with Fireflop 2. Agreed, there wasn't as much garbage on the web then. And graphical stuff was pretty bad ... but this compulsion to use the new ! improved ! jumbo-sized ! software today ... hell, the PhotoShop 3 on Irix does 90% of what we want to do (and 110% of what we need to do) in CS 4 today. And now I am getting .docx files. Someone should shoot those bastards then burn down Redmond to make sure they can't rise from their crypts.

Funny thing .. when you can get all the latest software you want for next to nothing, you discover that it's usually not all it's cracked up to be. Many times the older faster stuff is nicer to use. I wish they'd do bug fixes instead of adding useless new "functionality."

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:24 pm 

hamei wrote:
:D Some stuff worked fine tho. First Choice was not slow. In fact, it was quicker and more reliable than Word 2007. Footprintworks was nice and fast. The web browsed just as fast on a 486 and Webexplorer as it does on a Fuel with Fireflop 2. Agreed, there wasn't as much garbage on the web then. And graphical stuff was pretty bad ... but this compulsion to use the new ! improved ! jumbo-sized ! software today ... hell, the PhotoShop 3 on Irix does 90% of what we want to do (and 110% of what we need to do) in CS 4 today. And now I am getting .docx files. Someone should shoot those bastards then burn down Redmond to make sure they can't rise from their crypts.

Funny thing .. when you can get all the latest software you want for next to nothing, you discover that it's usually not all it's cracked up to be. Many times the older faster stuff is nicer to use. I wish they'd do bug fixes instead of adding useless new "functionality."

Wow I remember the PFS stuff. Been years since I even recalled using it, but yeah, that stuff worked pretty well. (But I also remember using PageMaker with Windows on a 286--that I don't miss.)

Agreed about the Photoshop stuff. Adobe's product seems calculated more to annoy me than make me productive. But the 16-bit RGBA support pretty much meant I had to go beyond 3.0.1.

I've just downloaded some demo stuff from the ftp site here on nekochan, just to fool around with it a bit. (Never used Houdini before, so...hey)

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:01 am 

Does 3D Studio Max 7 run (install) on Windows Vista? I am planning to purchase a new computer, the pre-assembled computer from hp/dell come with a vista installed in them. i am studying architecture and i intensively use 3d studio max 7. can someone please tell me if the program will run on the new operating system if not is there any plug-in that is required to have max running.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:57 am 

kayanat wrote:
Does 3D Studio Max 7 run (install) on Windows Vista?
Hello kayanat, welcome to nekochan.net.

You've asked your question(s) in the wrong place. This particular forum is dedicated Computer Graphics Software that runs on an SGI system that runs the IRIX operating system. There are a number of 3D Studio Max forums available that would be a better venue for your question.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *