Fuel prototype (BLUE!)

A place to post hardware inventories.
Forum rules
Please post your 'hinv' in the following format:

Topic: Kind of machine (O2, Octane, Tezro, Onyx2, etc.), CPU (R10k 250MHz, R12k 300MHz, R16k 1GHz, etc.), RAM, graphics option (Example: Tezro V12 4xR16K 700MHz 4GB)

Body: output of hinv -v (hinv -vm if possible) and /usr/gfx/gfxinfo.

Please wrap the output in BBCode "code" blocks to improve legibility.
guardian452
Donor
Donor

Re: Fuel prototype (BLUE!)

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:39 am

do you get to keep it or does it have to go back?

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:34 am

jan-jaap wrote:What makes it special are the looks of course. It also has a couple of connectors on the mainboard you won't find in a regular Fuel.
That's a beast that's rarely <if ever> been seen in the wild. If you're willing you might see if Pete would allow some detailed photos in the Gallery - for the historical record.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:15 pm

recondas wrote:
jan-jaap wrote:What makes it special are the looks of course. It also has a couple of connectors on the mainboard you won't find in a regular Fuel.
That's a beast that's rarely <if ever> been seen in the wild. If you're willing you might see if Pete would allow some detailed photos in the Gallery - for the historical record.

I may be having a brain fart here... I have seen the exact same case skins internally inside SGI, but it was a generic x86 ATX machine.
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:25 pm

R-ten-K wrote: I have seen the exact same case skins internally inside SGI, but it was a generic x86 ATX machine.

You aren't the only nekochan reader to have had the opportunity to have been "internally inside SGI", but you're certainly in the minority.
jan-jaap wrote:with 'Asterix prototype' stickers on it ..........It also has a couple of connectors on the mainboard you won't find in a regular Fuel

Whether it's a prototype <and I don't doubt jj's account for a second> or a Fuel in a some previously unknown <to the general public> case, it's definitely an unusual Fuel - and even more so because it came directly from SGI.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:11 pm

R-ten-K wrote:I may be having a brain fart here... I have seen the exact same case skins internally inside SGI, but it was a generic x86 ATX machine.

Probably the 230 - 330 ? The only part of a fuel case that's actually different from a peecee is the front plastic thingy.

Dr. Dave

Unread postby Dr. Dave » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:19 pm

hamei wrote:
R-ten-K wrote:I may be having a brain fart here... I have seen the exact same case skins internally inside SGI, but it was a generic x86 ATX machine.

Probably the 230 - 330 ? The only part of a fuel case that's actually different from a peecee is the front plastic thingy.

plus the ATX back-panel, and the lack of a stiffening brace across the side, and the drives mount 90 degrees in the brackets. But it's obvious that much of the sheetmetal is shared, just by the holes punched in them and not used. Those ATX cases are quite nice, as far as ATX cases go.
:O3000: <> :O3000: :O2000: :Tezro: :Fuel: x2+ :Octane2: :Octane: x3 :1600SW: x2 :O2: x2+ :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: x2 :Indigo: x3 :Indy: x2+

Once you step up to the big iron, you learn all about physics, electrical standards, and first aid - usually all in the same day

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:01 pm

Dr. Dave wrote:plus the ATX back-panel, and the lack of a stiffening brace across the side, and the drives mount 90 degrees in the brackets. But it's obvious that much of the sheetmetal is shared, just by the holes punched in them and not used. Those ATX cases are quite nice, as far as ATX cases go.

They must be a standard OEM case. I've seen photos of some IBM's and HPs which are exactly the same case, up to the swing-out disk cage where the drives sit at an angle, stiffener bar, everything. Only difference is the front plastic.

I just meant that what R10 saw in the belly of the monster was most likely a 230 or 330. If one were just walking thru then remembering it six years later, it'd be an understandable mistake.

QuicksilverG4

Unread postby QuicksilverG4 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:13 pm

Dr. Dave wrote:plus the ATX back-panel, and the lack of a stiffening brace across the side, and the drives mount 90 degrees in the brackets. But it's obvious that much of the sheetmetal is shared, just by the holes punched in them and not used. Those ATX cases are quite nice, as far as ATX cases go.

Mine actually did come with the brace on the side though its gone now. I just compared the two cases hoping I could swap the Fuel's swing-out drive mount into the PC but no such luck.

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:53 pm

recondas wrote:
R-ten-K wrote: I have seen the exact same case skins internally inside SGI, but it was a generic x86 ATX machine.

You aren't the only nekochan reader to have had the opportunity to have been "internally inside SGI", but you're certainly in the minority.

I never claimed I was. The prototypes I was referring to: having identical bezel shape to the fuel, greyish skinned, but x86 feecee internals. I don't know enough to know if they were released in the wild as actual products or not. That is why I was referring about seeing them only inside SGI.

That being said, following hamei's... it seems the chassis and the side skins of the x86 330/550 are pretty much the same as the SGI fuel. So maybe those are the machines I remember seeing... who knows. My recollection is that the bezel was definitively solid like the fuel though, and looking at the blue fuel that originated this thread was that reminded me of those feecees as looking identical to jj's system. But now, I am all confused in my twilight years...

Also, it seems that mechanically the case of the fuel and the SUN Blade 1500 are almost the same chassis. Does anyone know if this was some OEM design popular at the time? I am asking because I have some fuel misc boards laying around... but no chassis. I can have access to a dead blade 1500... so maybe the old swaperoo may work out, with some help from Mr. Dremmel.
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

Dr. Dave

Unread postby Dr. Dave » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:41 pm

The SGI ATX chassis have a grey plastic front, with a blue 'swoop' for an air intake, but interestingly on the opposite side of a Fuel.
Attachments
sgibackground_330_small.jpg
sgibackground_330_small.jpg (14.23 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
:O3000: <> :O3000: :O2000: :Tezro: :Fuel: x2+ :Octane2: :Octane: x3 :1600SW: x2 :O2: x2+ :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: x2 :Indigo: x3 :Indy: x2+

Once you step up to the big iron, you learn all about physics, electrical standards, and first aid - usually all in the same day

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:59 pm

R-ten-K wrote:That being said, following hamei's... it seems the chassis and the side skins of the x86 330/550 are pretty much the same as the SGI fuel. So maybe those are the machines I remember seeing... who knows. My recollection is that the bezel was definitively solid like the fuel though, and looking at the blue fuel that originated this thread was that reminded me of those feecees as looking identical to jj's system. But now, I am all confused in my twilight years...

< Pure conjecture mode > They could have been trying out some front bezel dies on existing hardware before deciding to make the production machines red. Usually you'd want to try a few pieces of a new part before running off thousands so could have been the equivalent of the clear O2 case and they stuck them onto some machines they already had for testing the fit. </Pure conjecture mode >

Or there could have been more than one blue Fuel prototype ... are you sure they were x86 inside ? Or they could have been Itanics running the mythical never-released 4Dwm for Suse Linux :D

colin

Unread postby colin » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:43 pm

I have seen a few "red" Asterix machines used for demonstrations. These were actually the original blue skins that had been spray painted red! I don't think they had the "silicon graphics fuel" labeling yet. Tezro didn't have any prototype skins that I'm aware of, just the sheetmetal and a "Chimera Prototype" sticker. I forget the code name of the Infinite Performance FireGL systems offhand. Those were just Origin 300 with an AGP 1x adapter and a hole cut in the sheetmetal to make room for the card and adapter.

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:55 pm

SGI Japan sold the Asterix x86 systems for a while. I wonder if the their site still has the info...

Ian.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:20 am

Two more pictures:
DSC_1700.med.JPG

DSC_1710.med.JPG

Notice how the secondary SCSI channel is wired
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

sgtprobe

Unread postby sgtprobe » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:50 am

Since I bought a Fuel myself, I have always wondered what are those 2 other "big" cooling fins keeping cool? The small one on the "extra" board is the CPU right?

/Jonas
Image Image Image Image Image Image

-----------------
Old polygon wrangler

Return to “SGI: hinv”