Revamping Irix Icon set in Progress!!!

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
modology

Revamping Irix Icon set in Progress!!!

Unread postby modology » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:43 am

Most of irix users will pretty much notice of how ugly and outdated icons set of irx are. Some chose to live together with it, but I decided to do something about it. Interestingly, I found out that IconSmith is capable of creating decent vector icon design although colors pallete is really limited. It was pity that SGI has not put enough effort to make their icons nicer. eg: mouse icon is comprised with all straight lines with minimum points on the curves thus it's look cubical and low res. I've also changed a few icons colors such as White Folder icon into Orange colors. Orange colors work well in filemanager as I can now easily distinguished between icons and folders. Does anyone can be able to hack the color pallete of IconSmith to 32bit rgb? It's be great if we can do so or else I just proceed with my icon revamping project. Hopefully I can finish up File Type icon set in few weeks and Devices Icon set will come later.

fzalfa

Re: Revamping Irix Icon set in Progress!!!

Unread postby fzalfa » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:19 am

great initiative
i'have think about, but i do not know iconsmith... (maybe i do not take the time to try.....)

Laurent
SGI or die !!!
:O2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :PI: :Crimson: :PWRSeries: :Onyx: :O2000R:
HP proliant DL 585 Quad Opteron dual core 2.5Ghz 16Gb

ShadeOfBlue

Unread postby ShadeOfBlue » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:59 am

modology wrote:Most of irix users will pretty much notice of how ugly and outdated icons set of irx are.

I actually like the icons and wouldn't say they're ugly -- minimalistic is more like it. :)

modology

Unread postby modology » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:04 am

Sorry for the poor preview quality due to the fact my SGI is not connected to net, thus I took snapshot with my iPhone. At least you guy will see what I've been doing so far.

Revamped CD PLayer Icon ( I've added more nodes to make cd disc rounder, new color for cd drive as well )
icon001yg0.jpg
icon001yg0.jpg (39.06 KiB) Viewed 622 times

New Folder + New generic file icons ( As you can see, it's all about making irix experience a pleasure to use)
icon003av0.jpg
icon003av0.jpg (37.8 KiB) Viewed 620 times

icon002ui1.jpg
icon002ui1.jpg (39.37 KiB) Viewed 623 times

Finally, I've quickly created a theme guideline, in hope that someone will pick up my idea and helping me out.
ruleas6.jpg
ruleas6.jpg (119.87 KiB) Viewed 629 times

modology

Unread postby modology » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:08 am

Well, I am pretty fancy when it comes to Icon Design and how UI design can help improving the whole OS experience overall.

JacquesT

Unread postby JacquesT » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:31 am

Interesting! I love the orange folder icons! Please share how when you're done...

I've just installed Jaleo (and have now un-installed it...no license!) but noticed as part of the Jaleo Desktop environment, they changed the ".Xdefaults" file in the user home directory. I really loved the clean crisp lines they had with their window border and simplistic buttons. Gone was the dotted thick standard border...Anyway, if you want to try it out add the following to your ".Xdefaults" file in your home directory, log out and back in...Voila!

Code: Select all

*frameBorderWidth:   5
*resizeBorderWidth:   5
*SG_titleOutline:   false
*SG_titlePadding:   0
*SG_useDecals:      false

-J
Attachments
snap.jpg
:Octane: wip build - Currently 2xR10000 250Mhz, 640MB RAM, SSI/SE graphics, 18GB 10K RPM HDD. Lucent and HD fan mod.

modology

Unread postby modology » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:46 am

Thx but I already know that trick. Btw, I noticed that Icons edges are antialiasing in FILE MANGER, meanwhile when it's on desktop, icons is not antialiasing or it's kind of pixelated. My current version is 6.5.28, I wonder if desktop icons are antialasing in newer version? or is there anyway to make desktop icon antialiasing?

modology

Unread postby modology » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:02 am

There is something very strange with Icons on desktop that I could not explain.
My root account does not have Desktop "Antialiasing" Icons, meanwhile my Guest Account has antialiasing icons. I think it might be the cause of .Xdefaults of my root account that I've just modified to give it a thin outline windows frame and other adjustment. It turns out that .Xdefault has nothing to do with the Icon render on the desktop. There must be some configuration file lying somewhere that control the Antilasing look of the icons on desktop? Does anyone know?

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:20 am

modology wrote: There must be some configuration file lying somewhere that control the Antilasing look of the icons on desktop? Does anyone know?

The way you can configure things in ten different places drives me nuts. More nuts.

Another place to look is .Sgiresources.

modology

Unread postby modology » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:11 am

I've looked into .sgiresources but there is nothing difference between root version and guest account. I am clueless now

indigofan

Unread postby indigofan » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:03 am

Love it, like breathing some new life into a dead OS.... Can't wait to see it finished.
Indy R5K, Indigo High Impact R10K, Octane R12K, NeXT Station, NeXTCube, G5 PowerMac, MacBook Pro

modology

Unread postby modology » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:39 pm

I figured the reason why my desktop is not Antialasing. I load "Bgpaste" program to load up my wallpaper in the background in .sgisession file. After switching to native SGI custom wallpaper method, i removed "bgpaste" from sgisession. Woala, my icons are back to its antialiasing state.

modology

Unread postby modology » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:29 pm

I've figured out how to customize folder icon for different folders in FTR file. I will upload snapshot of my current root and usr custom folders that I've made when i finish.

modology

Unread postby modology » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:23 am

iconir0.jpg

Custom icon for folders (notice Nekoware Folder icon :D). I will try create an beta icon pack next week, consider it as Xmas gift for all nekochan members!!

Indyboy

Unread postby Indyboy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:46 am

Nice job, man! :D
:O200: :Indigo: :O2: :Indigo2IMP:

Return to “IRIX and Software”