Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:23 am 

Why does my O2 keep dropping frames during capture using Premiere even though Im using 6 P-4G-EXT drives stripped as a single XLV volumn connected to the external scsi bus. The drives appear to be configured correctly as per the attached link (Diskalign utility)

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... iskalign.z

According to Lurkers guide, SGI officially supports uncompressed video on the O2 using only 4 P-4G-ext drives - Im using 6 :roll: Which begs the question, does the total scsi cable length REALLY affect performance? my total scsi cable length is 8ft.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:03 pm 

You could (if the PCI is free) use a second SCSIcontroler and split to 2x3 HD's (or 3x2). But I don't have that experience with premiere...
Maybe it could be important to TBC the source.

Good Luck

omelett

Unread postPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:09 pm 

bjames wrote:
Why does my O2 keep dropping frames during capture using Premiere even though Im using 6 P-4G-EXT drives stripped as a single XLV volumn connected to the external scsi bus. The drives appear to be configured correctly as per the attached link (Diskalign utility)

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... iskalign.z

According to Lurkers guide, SGI officially supports uncompressed video on the O2 using only 4 P-4G-ext drives - Im using 6 :roll: Which begs the question, does the total scsi cable length REALLY affect performance? my total scsi cable length is 8ft.

Run a diskperf test on your array setup, and post the results... there may be something useful lurking in there. Also a hinv.

Once you step up to the big iron, you learn all about physics, electrical standards, and first aid - usually all in the same day

Unread postPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:19 pm 

Indeed, you might need a TBC.
I once had an FC-AL 2200 card in my O2 with a 7x9gb drive array and while bandwith definitely was not the problem I still got serious frame drops. After adding a TBC between the source and the O2 all problems got solved.

I even remember that my 180Mhz O2 was capable of recording (from a good source) full screen PAL on one single SCSI drive (7200rpm)

Unread postPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:46 pm 

loonvf wrote:
Indeed, you might need a TBC.
I once had an FC-AL 2200 card in my O2 with a 7x9gb drive array and while bandwith definitely was not the problem I still got serious frame drops. After adding a TBC between the source and the O2 all problems got solved.

I even remember that my 180Mhz O2 was capable of recording (from a good source) full screen PAL on one single SCSI drive (7200rpm)

O.K. my point was more practicaly oriented. In those terms, for videoediting You need fast Framestore- a one disk solution is on the O2 possible, but You will get more out of the system, if You have the maximum possible storage. Anyway, for me, premiere was crap, since V1 on a fx-mac, and V4 on P2-winjunk. so I'din't experiment withit using a raid of disks on O2 with premiere(sic) and liked to use the IRIX6.5 tools instead. The lack of a Cool Edit App for the O2 is a legend. But there was also no opensource Projekt to fix that..even Diego didn't reach the point, as I understood him, because of the unavailability of some piece of SiliconG-code. I believe, noone, not even the Ceo of sgi would donate some code to a guy in Argentina! not even Steve Apple would do this. (For the capitalists, the artists and hobbyists are no profit-option, maybe the artist has a liittle option) But, with the right piece of sw, the O2 could be a great snappy editing box for the old SD format, which I still use for my own work. A friend of me made once a nice shortfilm with DVCam and edited it with premiere (when I'm sure, V5.5 on crap junkbox). I liked the film, but I was disappointed about the bugs in the pictures, which came to my mind as typical 'premiere/' rendering bugs. since this experience, I didn't used premiere on any system, any version. As far I know, the (free) version of prem. for 6.5 is 4. Also, You have it once installed, You get access to premiere-effects inside mm. Maybe, I'm partial, since I met many others with a different opinion, but from adope I accept only Postscript, Photoshop ( any version) and pdf.

It seems to be evident, bjames, get an TBC and rock the old O2rion.
Since, as Dr. Dave mentioned, we don't know more about Your suite, my only statement can be - get the real TBC. since this depends on Your source- in other words, if Your source is more like Vhs or similar, You have to research more about, maybe test it out, buying stuff and bring it back, if the picture-quality is bad. A good TBC for consumer setup is in my opinion the MX-10 from paregoric. The best way in that case could be, to shoot a SVHS recorder With BuildIn TBC. If u have another sources, like U-Matic, forget all pseudo-professional crap as TBC. u will need the special Ynos TBC for the best result. (one could say, it can be also creativ to use incompatible electronics to achieve new effects).
good luck!
omelett
P.S. one could say, even dropped frames can b a nice effect, but in my opinion, You have to be free to using it if you may wish, not if the editingsuitesetup limit You to it.

One could be also importand- as stated in some manpages, there should be no not essential programs, services runing while capture.
Code:
mediad -k
for example, or samba etc.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:14 am 

Hi All,

I think Flint / Effect from Discreet does a great job on an O2. I really like it, it works quite smooth (rendering offcourse takes time but hey, its not an Onyx3).
On the other side, if someone remembers the Amiga DraCo (MacroSystems), that was great a great NLE system running on a 68040 / 68060 (40 / 50 Mhz)
also jpeg and optionally IEEE1394 too !!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:05 am 

loonvf wrote:
Hi All,

I think Flint / Effect from Discreet does a great job on an O2. I really like it, it works quite smooth (rendering offcourse takes time but hey, its not an Onyx3).
On the other side, if someone remembers the Amiga DraCo (MacroSystems), that was great a great NLE system running on a 68040 / 68060 (40 / 50 Mhz)
also jpeg and optionally IEEE1394 too !!!!

For my understanding, Flint is not a NLE application.
premiere on the other hand is one. and some people like it. so, good luck bjames,
get it optimized!

omelett

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:02 am 

You can always use dmrecord which should not drop frames then bring the video into Premiere, just a thought. I have Premiere running on my O2 and don't have the frame dropping problem.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:13 am 

What's a "TBC" I don't see it described in this thread?

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

un_ wrote:
What's a "TBC" I don't see it described in this thread?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timebase_correction

All Rights Reserved.