noob question: how to rotate the object pivot in M ?

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
cybercow

noob question: how to rotate the object pivot in M ?

Unread postby cybercow » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:25 am

... i can`t get it work, i found few tricks but can`t do it ... same as for example moving / translating the pivot with "Insert" key i would to rotate the pivot so it become perpendicular / aligned to the object itself that holds it, any suggestions ? as i remember correctly, this task under 3DS was a plain click on the button "affect pivot only" or something like that, so any transformations including rotation would affect the pivot not the object itself ... is there such thing in M ?

chrz
Attachments
pivot_maya.jpg
the sample, compare the pivot vs. selected object edges ...
pivot_maya.jpg (40.3 KiB) Viewed 297 times
-----------------
Image Image Image

JacquesT

Re: noob question: how to rotate the object pivot in M ?

Unread postby JacquesT » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:46 am

Hmm...I don't know about rotating the object pivot, but you can rotate the object based on the local or global axis. Snapshot attached.

Have you tried double clicking on the rotate tool to bring up the tool preferences?

-J
EDIT: Ok, try this...select your object, go into component mode (F8), now select the rotate tool and click on the object you want to have the rotation axis changed...Press the black question mark (?) icon on the component selection bar, and rotate your axis to the desired angle. Exit component mode...voila!

-J
Attachments
snap2.jpg
snap2.jpg (24.56 KiB) Viewed 234 times
snap.jpg
No SGI box currently...Snif!

cybercow

Re: noob question: how to rotate the object pivot in M ?

Unread postby cybercow » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:31 am

that`s it, thank you, it works ;)
-----------------
Image Image Image

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”