Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: Blender 2.47?
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:13 pm 

Is anyone working on a build of Blender 2.47 for IRIX? I notice they don't have any officially posted.

Post subject: Re: Blender 2.47?
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:33 am 

directedition wrote:
Is anyone working on a build of Blender 2.47 for IRIX? I notice they don't have any officially posted.

Charles used to work on the IRIX Blender builds...Don't know if still does...

-JT

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:49 am 

i think 2.45 was the last Blender station on Irix, someone here told that unfortunately there will be no more versions for Irix

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:56 am 

cybercow wrote:
i think 2.45 was the last Blender station on Irix, someone here told that unfortunately there will be no more versions for Irix

after Ton dropped SGI for a Mac; all the versions of Blender for IRIX came from someone that was part of this board. i used to do it until i ran out of time (and patience) then Jarndyce911 (Charles did it) up until recent versions.

if we want/need it, someone here has to take the time. it doesn't come from anywhere else anymore.

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:09 am 

I have a problem when I run blender it says that I havent installed libsd but I have?

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi
Dell XPS M1530

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:08 pm 

My 0.02c....

Doing a compile takes time and energy, and certainly for others' benefit.

With this in mind, I'd be willing to make a donation to someone who's up for taking the time to compile for IRIX, and I'm sure there's enough people in the IRIX community using the product that if we each chipped in it would make it worth someone's time.

SO, how about it?

-Jesse-

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:41 am 

Well, I'm up for it. But I won't be able to start working on it till Nov 1st. I'm moving to a new apartment, and the current one is a bit cramped. Hauling out my SGIs would not make the wife happy. ;-)

I've compiled Blender so many times for Win32, OS X, and Linux that it's like second nature, but I'm not nearly as comfortable with Irix, so I may need some help.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:27 am 

tbcpp wrote:
I've compiled Blender so many times for Win32, OS X, and Linux that it's like second nature, but I'm not nearly as comfortable with Irix, so I may need some help.

well that's the problem. win.osx, and liunx are all supported platforms... so it's not al that easy. or didn't use to be (by a long shot).

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:49 am 

November would be fine. Another bug fix release, 2.48 is coming out in a week or so (maybe less, RCs are being built right now) and there won't be another release for quite a while after that. As work has now begun on 2.50, which is a complete rewrite of the GUI code, and might not be ready till as late as next May.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:42 am 

So...how do we set up a bounty prize for the first one to produce a fully working current version blender...
It should better be in CHF, GBP, Putin rubles.... or chinese yuan (since dollah and eeewwro will be worthless in a few weeks). :x

:O2: 400MHz R12k - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP 200LX

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:19 pm 

Charles started a thread somewhere asking for help to keep the Irix port going. A couple of people were posting in that thread but Charles didn't reply for a while and I've forgotten to look at it since...

He said the main issue is working around all the gcc-isms in the Blender code. He was willing to keep working on the Irix port he just didn't want to do all the work himself anymore...

World domination! Or something...

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:39 pm 

Okay I found the thread: http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17359

From Charles' profile it appears he has not logged in to nekochan since his last post to that thread. Presumably he hasn't been working on the Blender port, has anyone else?

World domination! Or something...

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:56 am 

Well, that's the other question then, do we try to get Blender to compile in MipsPro? if so, then I can't help, since I don't have a mips pro license. But if we want to go with GCC, that I'm willing to tackle. Hey, I'd be willing to try and tackle MipsPro, but like I said, no compiler...

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:19 am 

I think GCC is definitely the way to go. MIPSPro would certainly provide more solid binaries, but so few people have access to a licensed copy. I also imagine GCC would be much easier to do.

If we want a 2.48 release, they're posting final binaries on either thursday or friday. After that, we'll have to wait for 2.50

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:59 pm 

directedition wrote:
I think GCC is definitely the way to go. MIPSPro would certainly provide more solid binaries, but so few people have access to a licensed copy. I also imagine GCC would be much easier to do.

If we want a 2.48 release, they're posting final binaries on either thursday or friday. After that, we'll have to wait for 2.50

I'm sure GCC isn't all that bad. Having used them on SPARC processors in the past, it isn't as though its horrid.