usb mice

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
hamei

usb mice

Unread postby hamei » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:00 pm

Irix 6.5.30, Fuel

I get this more than I like and with a couple different mice. All attached thru the built-in ports and still happens with the pci usb adapter removed so it's not the plug-in usb adapter at fault.

Code: Select all

WARNING: disabling mouse after 5 consecutive errors
NOTICE: usb_hid_attach() reattach of device on bus 0xa800000001380840 path 2
WARNING: usb_pckm - cannot create device alias for /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/5/usb/2/mouse - device id not set yet.
connect detected on already connected port 2 of hub /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/5/usb
WARNING: disabling mouse after 5 consecutive errors
NOTICE: usb_hid_attach() reattach of device on bus 0xa800000001380840 path 2
WARNING: usb_pckm - cannot create device alias for /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/5/usb/2/mouse - device id not set yet.
connect detected on already connected port 2 of hub /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/5/usb

So ... is it my mice, my mainboard, or do other people using usb mice get the same thing ? Haven't had any problems with a usb keyboard and when the mouse dies the buttons still work, just not the moving part. 'Spose you'd call that the cursor ... One more thing. Systune is set to pcmouse 2 (I think.) Whichever one uses the scroll. Scroll keeps working fine also, just the cursor quits. Sometimes have to unplug and replug to get the mouse back, sometimes reconnects by itself.

It's a pita, to tell the truth.

pentium

Re: usb mice

Unread postby pentium » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:24 pm

I use a microsoft USB optical mouse on my SGIs (using a USB to PS/2 adapter) and I don't have any problems.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:34 am

A couple of <fairly random> thoughts.

If you stop in the PROM <before IRIX loads> do you have the same issues with the mouse?

Since it's a recent change, have you tried resetting the bus-master flag you set to get the combo FW/USB board working?

If all else fails you might try a different KB, especially if the mouse is connected through the KB.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:38 am

recondas wrote:If you stop in the PROM <before IRIX loads> do you have the same issues with the mouse?

Before Irix, there is no mouse ... haven't tried doing a hinv from the prom but I doubt it'd show up. Those are console messages. The symptoms are Mouse Coma.

Since it's a recent change, ...

Sorry for not being thorough enough. Usually I blab too much. This is not a recent thing. It's happened ever since I first tried a USB mouse on the fool.

If all else fails you might try a different KB, especially if the mouse is connected through the KB.

Been this way thru several permutations of keyboard, too. Would like to find a pass-thru keyboard, actually. My HP one worked that way, it was nice.

Don't you have an 03xxx with USB ports ? Have you tried USB perpheralls on her ?

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:16 am

hamei wrote:Before Irix, there is no mouse ... haven't tried doing a hinv from the prom but I doubt it'd show up. Those are console messages. The symptoms are Mouse Coma.

I'll have to double-check that the next time I restart the Onyx 300. I know the USB KB works, and was thinking the mouse did as well.

hamei wrote:Would like to find a pass-thru keyboard, actually. My HP one worked that way, it was nice. ....Don't you have an 03xxx with USB ports ? Have you tried USB perpheralls on her ?

Although I normally use the Octane's kb&m via Telefect, I keep a USB keyboard-n-mouse connected to the O300. The mouse is a Logitec "Optical Mouse" p/n 83524-000; the keyboard is an Apple Pro model M7803 <with a Griffin iMic plugged into one of the two USB ports provided by the keyboard>. Both are plugged directly into the O300 <tho there is a USB extender cable between the keyboard and the O300>.

When I do a cold boot, I get a somewhat similar entry in the system log:

NOTICE: pcibr_attach: /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci Bus holds a usb part - settingbridge PCI_RETRY_HLD to 4
It appears to be harmless - no other <related> messages or errors appear and all USB devices work without error. I don't know what effect changing the default value might have <assuming you could and it would help>.

BTW - I don't recall having to set the pcmouse_mode flag in systune, seems like the scroll wheel was working on the first boot <although it's certainly a possibly that I've just forgotten>. In either case, systune returns:

group: misc (dynamically changeable)
        pcmouse_mode = 2 (0x2)
        usb_discovery_verbose = 0 (0x0)

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:41 am

All I can offer is that SGIs are very picky about what kind of USB mouse you use - not just anything seems to work flawlessly. The original SGI USB mouse works well of course, and I had good luck with the Apple Mighty Mouse. Other mice, such as the Microsoft Intellimouse Exlporer, work well via a PS/2 adapter but often poorly or not at all via direct USB connection.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

indyman007

Unread postby indyman007 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:50 pm

pentium wrote:I use a microsoft USB optical mouse on my SGIs (using a USB to PS/2 adapter) and I don't have any problems.

Same here does the scroll wheel work for you?
:Indy: R4600PC 133 MHz

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:03 am

indyman007 wrote:Same here does the scroll wheel work for you?

I might have misunderstood your question, but if your scroll wheel *doesn't* work:
http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/ ... Under_IRIX

indyman007

Unread postby indyman007 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:39 am

recondas wrote:
indyman007 wrote:[Same here does the scroll wheel work for you?

I might have misunderstood your question, but if your scroll wheel *doesn't* work:
http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/ ... Under_IRIX

I have tried it but it didnt work then but now that I have my o2 I might try changing the mouse mode on that!
:Indy: R4600PC 133 MHz

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Fri May 01, 2009 5:23 pm

I've just hooked up my logitech mx518 to octane via a cheap usb->ps2 adapter and it works beautifully. I can change the mouse speed via the proper buttons, scrollwheel works, etc.

I would like to customize some of the buttons, mainly the browser 'back/forward' buttons on the side of the mouse just scroll up and down, same as the wheel. This might be tricky, but if I could have the little scroll widget pop up when I push down the scrollwheel (ie, like in windows), and have the middle click be the 'application switch' button (which afaik does nothing, maybe somewhere in the pentagon a light is flashing on and off), that would be dandy.

Definitely a huge improvement in the usability factor. It ranks up there with a new monitor.

shadowless

Unread postby shadowless » Fri May 01, 2009 7:24 pm

some mouse work, some doesn't. think i all depends on the voltage range.

mbourget

Unread postby mbourget » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:50 am

I tried hooking up a USB Keyboard from a Dell PC and an SGI USB mouse to an Onyx3400.

In the prom monitor, both work fine. When the system boots up, the mouse does not want to work. The cursor is stuck in the middle of the screen and the buttons don't have any effect. The keyboard seems to work. Is there something I can type from the console that can activate the mouse? ... or is there perhaps another way I can activate it.

Thanks,

Mike

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:00 am

mbourget wrote: Is there something I can type from the console that can activate the mouse?

Yes, you need to regenerate /etc/ioconfig.conf. Delete this file and reboot with the USB mouse attached.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:11 am

mbourget wrote: or is there perhaps another way I can activate it.
Barring a kb&m IRIX just doesn't like, you might try deleting <or renaming> /etc/ioconfig.conf and then reboot <with the problematic USB kb&m attached>. IRIX will auto-generate a new ioconfig.conf

If you can't rename or delete the file because the current kb&m config doesn't work, unplug both, and boot with a serial terminal attached <for O300(0) stuff set the serial port on your terminal to 38,400/8/N/1>.

EDIT: I type too slow - didn't mean to echo what nekonoko already said.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”