Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:33 am 

.. from some time now i had some constant paranoia that Autodesk will shut-off Maya in favour of it`s own (from my pov ten times less powerful) product * u know it well * ... AD politics, management and all others involved seems to be more clever - so this horror and un-immaginable movie is passed ... at least for now ...

from this article: http://www.palluxo.com/2008/08/13/autod ... ober-2008/ is clearly visible that Maya goes on, and - at least from this perspective, the future of M is very bright !

I was thinking about this mean, and shurely even the small Irix community will have indirect positive trends because of that, where rock-solid and reliable Irix machines are perfect learning tools for making first steps in 3D and M.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:31 am 

cybercow wrote:
.. from some time now i had some constant paranoia that Autodesk will shut-off Maya in favour of it`s own (from my pov ten times less powerful) product * u know it well * ... AD politics, management and all others involved seems to be more clever - so this horror and un-immaginable movie is passed ... at least for now ...

from this article: http://www.palluxo.com/2008/08/13/autod ... ober-2008/ is clearly visible that Maya goes on, and - at least from this perspective, the future of M is very bright !

I was thinking about this mean, and shurely even the small Irix community will have indirect positive trends because of that, where rock-solid and reliable Irix machines are perfect learning tools for making first steps in 3D and M.

AFAIR, Maya support for Irix was killed quite some time ago. What would be our [ie, SGI users] benefit of Maya 2009?

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:19 am 

Where can you buy it from??

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi
Dell XPS M1530

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:18 am 

indyman007 wrote:

Just about any of the little shops that sell DVD's and stuff. If that's too much trouble you can pick it up online for a little more, maybe about two bucks.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:23 am 

Oh! Ok

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi
Dell XPS M1530

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:37 am 

hamei wrote:
indyman007 wrote:

Just about any of the little shops that sell DVD's and stuff. If that's too much trouble you can pick it up online for a little more, maybe about two bucks.

Maya, for 2 bucks? or is that only in China? ;)

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:06 am 

un_ wrote:
Maya, for 2 bucks? or is that only in China? ;)

Yes, that's the China price. Got some Mac software tho the other day, had to pay $4. Pissed me off :(

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:34 am 

Quote:
What would be our [ie, SGI users] benefit of Maya 2009?
If u readed my post from start to the end, u will understand that i`m talking about the learning perspective. As Maya originated from Irix, taking the 6.5 or 6 or any earlyer version is OK for making FIRST STEPS in M and 3D and maybe even the SECOND one but u will need some stronger machine.... I`m shure about that, because i do it so, and maybe other existing / new sgi users are doing it || are willing to do it in the near future... i`m talking about INDIRECT positive trends, the response will not be in millions of users, that would be ridiculous, but in certain numbers of artists / 3D creatives that would like to give a shoot ride with sgi`s for such purposes ... if u are asking why, my response is why not. My first steps i maked on M with Indigo2, after a month or two i was ready for advanced modelling stuff and texturing, In actual M version that is 2008., when switched to, i continued like i`m using it for years, everything was in the right place like on Irix, until u go to advanced features ...

Quote:
Autodesk is the current address to ask from ... other variations are out of this forum philosophy and rules ...

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:01 pm 

I got started with maya v5, came with unreal tournament 2004 :D

now I use the 8.5 ple because I can't get the old version registered. It's free from autodesk but you have to live with the watermarks.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/in ... id=7639525

"The Barbecue Ghost and Fernando Torres are friends."

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:46 pm 

cybercow wrote:
Quote:
What would be our [ie, SGI users] benefit of Maya 2009?
If u readed my post from start to the end, u will understand that i`m talking about the learning perspective. As Maya originated from Irix, taking the 6.5 or 6 or any earlyer version is OK for making FIRST STEPS in M and 3D and maybe even the SECOND one but u will need some stronger machine.... I`m shure about that, because i do it so, and maybe other existing / new sgi users are doing it || are willing to do it in the near future... i`m talking about INDIRECT positive trends, the response will not be in millions of users, that would be ridiculous, but in certain numbers of artists / 3D creatives that would like to give a shoot ride with sgi`s for such purposes ... if u are asking why, my response is why not. My first steps i maked on M with Indigo2, after a month or two i was ready for advanced modelling stuff and texturing, In actual M version that is 2008., when switched to, i continued like i`m using it for years, everything was in the right place like on Irix, until u go to advanced features ...

Agreed, I have 6.5 on my Octane2 and it runs fantastically on a dual 400 and VPRO graphics. I also have the PLE version of 2008 on my Powerbook and I find switching between the two is very easy! I'm still learning, but I'm learning on my Octane2 as Maya is more responsive on the SGI than my 1Ghz Powerbook...

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:33 pm 

In my opinion it is much simpler "get" maya on x86/apple hardware with already have 95% of computer owners than get OLD, very slow and relative expensive computer to fit maya on to learning. So I will not wait big user arrival to sgi platform from that side.

Just for my defence - I'v buy SGI becouse I *WANT* it in the times when silicon's was expensive like new car. For my SGI I'v payed like for old bicycle (about ~200$) from tha time I'v spend another 150$ for upgrading memory, cdrom, AV module & camera. Not counting another 250E for cpu(still waiting on it). If were get that bucks and buy ordionary PC than no price comparabe sgi can stand against it, not even talking about my O2.

Peoples are buying SGI's becouse that was dream machines witch still can made lot of good work but plenty of peoples even dosen't know that the something like SGI's exist. When SGI's was in the charge they was unobtainable, now they are old. No one will buy old sgi for his/ her first system to fit maya, ordinary PC will made same thing faster for few $

:(

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:51 pm 

tomo wrote:
When SGI's was in the charge they was unobtainable, now they are old. No one will buy old sgi for his/ her first system to fit maya, ordinary PC will made same thing faster for few $

Some people specifically look for non-windows solutions. Not many, I agree, but some.

Is there a Maya for Solaris x86 ? There is a Pro/E version that does and it's hot-to-go racy.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:58 pm 

I think that the SGI as non Intel solution for graphic workstation is BEST choice (that's why I have it). Many proffesional applications comes from IRIX, witch is also wery stable. No driver (for linux that means kernel configuration) problems, no viruses (was there any?), no overheating problems becouse manufactuer don't counts with running their HW for year or two under high load in heavy upgraded machine. Also nekoware make life easier - other peoples are porting good sw to irix on user is only using of it. These days easy getting spare parts - ebay or if you want it for sure than sgidepot or another good store.

That is good side of having SGI.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:47 pm 

I didn't think there was a version of Maya for Solaris?

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:01 am 

Sorry - while I sure run Maya 6.5 on my Fuel, every feature added after that version is simply wasted on me. I certainly don't care the least for Maya 2009 as it will NOT be available under Irix anymore. Forget Maya...look for alternatives...I myself haven't a clue yet...