Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:26 am 

i noticed it just lately that under hard graphics [cpu ?] load [3D and texturing], some strange noise is comming from Indgio2 PSU, some like fast sharp trickling in one or half second intervals, i first though it`s from the hdd`s but is for shure from the PSU. when the machine is idle, all seems ok and no such sounds. is this some pre-advertisement the PSU will blow or smnting ? anyone had such issues ? thank you.

btw what`s the "nekochan" cca. price for 2nd hand Impact Indigo2 PSU ? i would try to make some modifications to make it more silent ... but there`s no room inside damn ... if i only could put some bigger [and slower] fan ... apart from this does anyone replaced the original Indigo2 Impact PSU fan with some silent variation ? that will be the second question ... because the actual one sounds like the plane is landing here behind my desk, lol and i go crazy after one or 2 hours of Irix work ...

cheers all

p.s. the psu part number i run is 060-0027-001 and from majix site description reveals "Suitable for dual-head IMPACT graphics on R10000 machines. Can also be used in place of 060-8002-xxx." and i use it with Max. Impact room heater lol

Last edited by cybercow on Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:04 am 

I had the same problem with my :Octane: ! Doesn't seem to be causing any problem but I swapped it out just to be safe...

I know the sound, it sounds like a hard drive but only when running intense graphics. it is so subtle I don't know how long it was there, but I got a later rev. psu and it seems to have gone away.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:35 am 

i had theses stranges noises too on my indigo2 MaxImpact.......
the psu was noisy when MI boards work, i think it's due to the current consumption needed by the chips....
i had this for years without any troubles

Laurent

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:29 am 

I too have this issue with using my Max Impact and running some heavy graphics apps. I have removed the internal drives and attempted to use external hdd pack, to find the same problem.

My PSU is the same as yours, suitable for Dual head impact R10k systems, but I don't think its upto snuff for the Max Impact? I think its 385W my current one, does anyone know what the Max Impact recommended psu's are rated at?

I have a dead I2 psu, which I am going to fix when I get some time, and change some caps, that may solve the problem, if not I am going to try to utilize a 500W atx corsair psu or something decent to replace the old I2 psu. That is going to require pinning out everything and be a real pain though. <sigh>.

Anyone have the pinouts for the Indigo2 psu already :D ?

I'm just worried about hearing the 'pop' sound of something in the power supply, and usually from experience with PC psu's the cheaper variety at least, that takes out your mobo, and hdd, etc as it seems to 'fry' them. Don't want that happening with my I2MI.

Sun Ultra1 Creator UltrasparcI 167 Mhz, 1 GB, 64bit, Custom Solaris 10 inst
Sun 280R dual 750 Mhz UltrasparcIII, 2GB
D1000 Disk array, LSI Logic FC array, Sun T3
Octane 195 Mhz single, mxe
Vax 4000 model 108, 256 mb
Alpha 500au, 18g, 512mb

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:25 am 

Quote:
if not I am going to try to utilize a 500W atx corsair psu or something decent to replace the old I2 psu. That is going to require pinning out everything and be a real pain though. <sigh>. Anyone have the pinouts for the Indigo2 psu already ?

Well that was my exact idea ;) , but as you i not find anywhere the exact pinouts. The only solution is to measure the voltage buy ourselves, but you need to measure the current consumption on each wire so is quite complicated, there are at least 20 wires + impact flat out pins to get on paper. The problem with put inside a new ATX psu are: 1. i doubt there is enough space, I2 psu is more "quadratic" and "long" whereas classic atx psuz are more "boxed" wider than long. 2. the current; older generation computers, I2 included had higher currents on lower voltages, eg. 5V and 3.5 V getting up to 36A ! while modern PSU`z are designed to drive the 12V pipe with max. power 20, 30 A and on ... still dunno how my codegen drivez the 8800 lol

so anyone with I2 impact PSU pinout is wellcome here to post :)

cheerz

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:30 am 

Ah

Maybe it's something we can figure out. But your right about the current, If I recall correctly a while ago they had this "designed for" either "Amd", and designed for "Intel" power supplies, one of them concentrated on the 5v rails, for amperage, and one for the 12v rails in terms of amperage. That might do the trick. Also this is all provided that the standby voltage is 5v @ 500 ma standard.

I have noticed a lot of different form factors in terms of power supplies, for example there are a lot of the tiny 550 W power supplies that are no bigger than 2 laptop power bricks, those would easily fit inside the I2, and you could even go as far to take it apart and put it into the bigger case.

I have a spare Indigo2 mobo at home (no case for it), and a dead power supply. If I can revive it, and get some time, I might be able to make some progress.

Sun Ultra1 Creator UltrasparcI 167 Mhz, 1 GB, 64bit, Custom Solaris 10 inst
Sun 280R dual 750 Mhz UltrasparcIII, 2GB
D1000 Disk array, LSI Logic FC array, Sun T3
Octane 195 Mhz single, mxe
Vax 4000 model 108, 256 mb
Alpha 500au, 18g, 512mb