MRTG on IRIX

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Arabski

MRTG on IRIX

Unread postby Arabski » Mon May 26, 2008 10:23 am

I've been poking around the net, to find something that can plot nice graphs like the one you can see here. And MRTG seems to be an answer :D

Hopefully, it is ported (thanks Joerg) so I just had to set it up. When I started reading about SNMP I developed a headache. Many things can be said about it, but Simple is not one of them ;) Then I stumbled upon a solution which does not require SNMP. Here goes:
mrtg.conf.txt
Config file
(2.79 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

It's just a buch of scripts that pull data from various places, and format it accordingly:

Load average is pulled from uptime:
load_avg.txt
(258 Bytes) Downloaded 22 times

Disk usage from df:
disk.txt
(149 Bytes) Downloaded 20 times

Memory:
mem.txt
(178 Bytes) Downloaded 21 times

and Swap from top:
swp.txt
(179 Bytes) Downloaded 20 times

Network traffic from netstat:
poll.txt
(162 Bytes) Downloaded 23 times

Uptime:
uptime.pl.txt
(166 Bytes) Downloaded 25 times

Ping:
google_ping.txt
(295 Bytes) Downloaded 21 times

Last one, pulls a file with syslog line (pppd connect time) from router via ftp:
get_ctime.txt
(418 Bytes) Downloaded 19 times

And finally the cron entry:

Code: Select all

0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /usr/nekoware/bin/mrtg --logging=/var/adm/mrtg.log /etc/mrtg/mrtg.conf > /dev/null 2>&1

Looks like this.

What do you think?

p.s. The reason I posted all the scripts, is that maybe someone would like to make a use of this.
Image * Image

joerg
Donor
Donor

Re: MRTG on IRIX

Unread postby joerg » Mon May 26, 2008 11:22 am

Arabski wrote:I've been poking around the net, to find something that can plot nice graphs like the one you can see here. And MRTG seems to be an answer :D

Hopefully, it is ported (thanks Joerg) so I just had to set it up.

It was Frank "Dexter" Everdij who packaged neko_mrtg and not me. I have packaged the current rrdtool which is the successor of mrtg.

When I started reading about SNMP I developed a headache. Many things can be said about it, but Simple is not one of them ...

IRIX comes with a SNMP service but i am not sure if it provides such infos as load and traffic details. I know that there some enterprise MIBs available as extra products which maybe needs also a licence.

The netsnmpd is not very usable on IRIX because nobody supports its for IRIX. There are some posts in newsgroups and on the sourceforge bug list available where some nekochan fellows talk about that issue. In this state only the client tools are very usefull!

What do you think?

p.s. The reason I posted all the scripts, is that maybe someone would like to make a use of this.

Great work.... but what about a article in our wiki?

If youre interessted in a complete webui take a look to CACTI which uses rrdtool and scripts or snmp based on a php web application. A simple test installtion is here http://cacti.irixworld.net/graph_view.php?action=preview.

Iam currently porting NagioGraph to IRIX which adds graphing to the nagios monitoring tool.

regards
Joerg

Arabski

Re: MRTG on IRIX

Unread postby Arabski » Mon May 26, 2008 11:40 am

Joerg wrote:It was Frank "Dexter" Everdij who packaged neko_mrtg and not me. I have packaged the current rrdtool which is the successor of mrtg.

Ops, my bad :? I must have confused the packages.

IRIX comes with a SNMP service but i am not sure if it provides such infos as load and traffic details. I know that there some enterprise MIBs available as extra products which maybe needs also a licence.

The netsnmpd is not very usable on IRIX because nobody supports its for IRIX. There are some posts in newsgroups and on the sourceforge bug list available where some nekochan fellows talk about that issue. In this state only the client tools are very usefull!

I searched about it in the first place, but lack of information scared me off. As well as some posts, that it does not work very well on IRIX.

Great work.... but what about a article in our wiki?

Thanks :D Article - why not, but I need an account, don't I?

A simple test installtion is here...

Very nice!
Image * Image

Return to “IRIX and Software”