Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:37 pm
Posts: 343
An upgraded Apple Network Server 500. :D Can't wait to see what software I can build on AIX 4.1.4.

_________________
Principle Over Politics : http://www.ConstitutionParty.org


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:29 pm
Posts: 4303
Location: Kamloops, BC
Dang. Where did you get hold of one of those little gems?

_________________
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:37 pm
Posts: 2917
Location: NZ
ChristTrekker wrote:
Can't wait to see what software I can build on AIX 4.1.4.


Getting gcc going would be a start. :)

_________________
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.


Last edited by porter on Mon May 05, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:37 am
Posts: 5758
Location: Renton, WA
Make sure you have install media or a bootable disk backup - the ANSes used a custom version of AIX 4.1.x and the IBM disks don't have the right drivers.

_________________
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 4:51 pm
Posts: 27
Location: Chicago Area
Nice. Any details on the hardware? Do you have anything to hook to it with Appletalk, etc.?


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:42 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:53 pm
Posts: 2940
Location: USA
Some useful stuff at http://www.shiner.info/


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:37 pm
Posts: 343
pentium wrote:
Dang. Where did you get hold of one of those little gems?

A local guy, actually! Most anything interesting in concentrated on the coasts (along with all the people) so it is quite a find to get something like this in the Midwest. He said a client bought it for his company back in the day, then the client went under and didn't want it back, and years later his company didn't want it either and let him take it. He didn't have time to tinker, so now it's mine.
SAQ wrote:
Make sure you have install media or a bootable disk backup - the ANSes used a custom version of AIX 4.1.x and the IBM disks don't have the right drivers.

Includes 3 original boxes of stuff, including the OS disk.
Sol wrote:
Nice. Any details on the hardware? Do you have anything to hook to it with Appletalk, etc.?

A little bit at 68kMLA.
josehill wrote:
Some useful stuff at http://www.shiner.info/

I knew about that site, but never thought I'd be making use of it myself.

_________________
Principle Over Politics : http://www.ConstitutionParty.org


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:17 pm
Posts: 887
Location: Beatrice, NE, USA
ChristTrekker wrote:
A local guy, actually! Most anything interesting in concentrated on the coasts (along with all the people) so it is quite a find to get something like this in the Midwest.


It is. Only time I can find any non pc or mac hardware is outside of Nebraska. But I got a Sun and a SGI Indy off a trade from a computer store. But the systems where not complete.


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:37 pm
Posts: 343
Gray Fox wrote:
It is. Only time I can find any non pc or mac hardware is outside of Nebraska. But I got a Sun and a SGI Indy off a trade from a computer store. But the systems where not complete.

It pays to be part of a user group. I got my (free) SGI from a guy in my MN group, and my (free) Sun from a guy in my NE group. You just have to be quick to speak up when offered, and hope they'll hold them long enough for you to make the trip to wherever they are.

_________________
Principle Over Politics : http://www.ConstitutionParty.org


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:17 pm
Posts: 887
Location: Beatrice, NE, USA
ChristTrekker wrote:
Gray Fox wrote:
It is. Only time I can find any non pc or mac hardware is outside of Nebraska. But I got a Sun and a SGI Indy off a trade from a computer store. But the systems where not complete.

It pays to be part of a user group. I got my (free) SGI from a guy in my MN group, and my (free) Sun from a guy in my NE group. You just have to be quick to speak up when offered, and hope they'll hold them long enough for you to make the trip to wherever they are.



Thanks the thin. Im in no usergroups. Besides Nekochan. Got some I can join?


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:29 pm
Posts: 4303
Location: Kamloops, BC
You have a really, really nice ANS system.

I shotgun first dibs when you sell it. :mrgreen:

_________________
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:10 pm
Posts: 9695
ChristTrekker wrote:
Most anything interesting in concentrated on the coasts (along with all the people) so it is quite a find to get something like this in the Midwest.

hey guys ? quitcher bitchin' ! You could be living in a true Cultural Wasteland ! :P


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:51 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:55 pm
Posts: 5213
Location: NC - USA
Quote:
Dang. Where did you get hold of one of those little gems?
If it's still there, someone in Detroit has an Apple Network Server listed on Craig's List <along with a VAX, a DEC box and a list of SGI/Sun stuff>. Sounds like they'd be pretty reasonably priced:
Quote:
No reasonable offer rejected. By reasonable, I am just looking for enough to justify my helping you haul it from my basement. All are functional, some are complete with OS.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/sys/679588891.html

_________________
***********************************************************************
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
***********************************************************************


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:29 pm
Posts: 4303
Location: Kamloops, BC
recondas wrote:
Quote:
Dang. Where did you get hold of one of those little gems?
If it's still there, someone in Detroit has an Apple Network Server listed on Craig's List <along with a VAX, a DEC box and a list of SGI/Sun stuff>. Sounds like they'd be pretty reasonably priced:
Quote:
No reasonable offer rejected. By reasonable, I am just looking for enough to justify my helping you haul it from my basement. All are functional, some are complete with OS.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/sys/679588891.html


Bah!
Always too far away. :P

_________________
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 6:18 am
Posts: 438
I've an RS/6000 desktop server too which I'd part with.

_________________
############################
Re-install with OpenBSD :)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group