Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:15 pm 

Hi all,

So I downloaded all of the nekoware and installed ... really great stuff.

I was curious if anyone had any problems with xscreensaver-getimage?

When I run it, it dies.

Like so:
Code:
X error in xscreensaver-getimage:
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  72 (X_PutImage)
  Serial number of failed request:  28
  Current serial number in output stream:  36

This matters because it makes the webcollage screen saver die.

I have a plain-jane install of irix 6.5.20m on my Octane. I have some freeware installed, all the nekoware, I have fixed all my paths for both distributions - Nekoware is first in the path environment variable...

I figure this must work for other folks, since it has not been mentioned in the forums.

-Nick

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

BadMatch errors are usually attributed to SGI Freeware FAQ4.3:

http://freeware.sgi.com/faq.html#Q4.3

All Rights Reserved.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:23 am 

Not all of the Xscreensaver hacks are operational for me -- I'd be interested on what excatly you are doing that generates the Bad Match error. Maybe I can peek at the source code and come up with a work-around.

BTW I get following results when I run webcollage directly

Code:
/usr/nekoware/lib/xscreensaver/webcollage
Can't locate bytes.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/lib/perl5/irix-n32/5.00405 /usr/share/lib/perl5 /usr/share/lib/perl5/site_perl/irix-n32 /usr/share/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/share/lib/perl5/sgi_perl .) at /usr/nekoware/lib/xscreensaver/webcollage line 57.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/nekoware/lib/xscreensaver/webcollage line 57.

I assume it's because I haven't set it up correctly.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:59 am 

squeen wrote:
Not all of the Xscreensaver hacks are operational for me -- I'd be interested on what excatly you are doing that generates the Bad Match error. Maybe I can peek at the source code and come up with a work-around.

BTW I get following results when I run webcollage directly

Code:
/usr/nekoware/lib/xscreensaver/webcollage
Can't locate bytes.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/lib/perl5/irix-n32/5.00405 /usr/share/lib/perl5 /usr/share/lib/perl5/site_perl/irix-n32 /usr/share/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/share/lib/perl5/sgi_perl .) at /usr/nekoware/lib/xscreensaver/webcollage line 57.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/nekoware/lib/xscreensaver/webcollage line 57.

I assume it's because I haven't set it up correctly.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "what I am doing" to get the BadMatch error, but when I get a chance I'll try to describe the environment. Given the previous reply, I did try setting my Xsgi settings differently - then I messed with some other stuff, decided to reboot (I had been using chkconfigs as well), and on reboot, it won't get to the login screen. The point is, since I am already busy with other stuff, fixing my SGI isn't top priority (even though I know how) this moment. I'll post back here when I get the time (in a day or two).

As for the perl, I decided that since Freeware and Nekoware include newer perls I would try uninstalling the IRIX perl. After uninstall, I made sure paths were set, and the missing "bytes.pm" error dissappeared (presumably becuase Perl could now find it in the nekoware/lib/perl directory).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:09 am 

Hmm. I'll have to go back and make sure xscreensaver was finding the nekoware Perl during configure. Also, I tried running the xscreensaver-getimage command directly, giving it the root window id as an argument. Although I didn't know what to expect for results, it seemed to work, but if you could describe the steps for your trial image grab, I'd be happy to reproduce them to see if I get the BadMatch X error.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ZoontF wrote:
Given the previous reply, I did try setting my Xsgi settings differently - then I messed with some other stuff, decided to reboot (I had been using chkconfigs as well), and on reboot, it won't get to the login screen.

This generally happens if the Xservers entry contains a carriage return someplace in the middle of the line - it needs to be one line only with "-depth 24 -class TrueColor" added to the end of the existing line.

BadMatch errors are visual depth/colordepth mismatch errors - so I'd check that out first.

Quote:
BadMatch errors occur when only specific values are acceptable, but another value is provided. The valid values may be a small set of enumerated integers or they may be a relation between other arguments, e.g., a graphics context in a drawing request must have the same depth as the drawing window. There is rarely more than one possible BadMatch error for any particular request type, so identifying the problem is usually straight forward. In my experience, most BadMatch errors are related to drawable depths. Make sure your windows, pixmaps, visual types, colormaps, etc. have the correct depths in your X requests.

http://www.rahul.net/kenton/perrors.html

All Rights Reserved.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:17 am 

Ressurecting this thread on a tangential note:
I thought it worthwhile to document the occassional (and not so occasional) Xscreensaver problem I've had since the first IRIX Xscreensaver built here. Basically, when I "jog" the keyboard or mouse to wake the system up, Xscreensaver will crash the Xserver instead of giving me the password prompt. This seems to only happen on Vpro graphics (V6/V12). The IR3/4 and Octane with MMX are stable. The error in the SYSLOG is

Quote:
Nov 29 22:07:41 4A:holmesIV unix: WARNING: odsy board 0: ILLEGAL_OUT_FORMAT received
Nov 29 22:07:41 1A:holmesIV unix: ALERT: odsy board 0: Graphics error
Nov 29 22:07:41 5A:holmesIV unix: NOTICE: odsy board 0: dmawait_timeout=0x1
Nov 29 22:07:41 7A:holmesIV unix: odsy flags: 0xffffffff82001900<GEN_LOCK_INTR,CFIFO_HW_FLAG,CTXSW_DONE,DMA_DONE_FLAG,ILLEGAL_OUT_FORMAT>
Nov 29 22:07:41 7A:holmesIV unix: odsy status0: 0x10024280<CFIFO_ENABLED,CFIFO_LW,XRFIFO_LW,RASTER_SYNC_SRC=unset,CFIFO_SYNC_SRC=unset,DMA_SYNC_SRC=unset>
Nov 29 22:07:51 3B:holmesIV Xsession: squeen: fatal IO error 131 (Connection reset by peer)
Nov 29 22:07:51 3D:holmesIV tfxd[6355]: caught XIO error
Nov 29 22:07:52 3B:holmesIV xdm[1534]: Server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly: 2304
Nov 29 22:07:55 3D:holmesIV Xsgi0[7140]: odsyKernInit: attaching for brdnum=0

If y'all have any thoughts, I'd love to poke around the source code some.
:)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:31 am 

I found this in the 6.5.28 release notes

Quote:
4.4 Operating System

4.4.1 Bugs fixed in IRIX 6.5.28

+ 919019: ILLEGAL_OUT_FORMAT error on glDrawPixels

Unfortunately, the Xscreensaver error still occurs under Vpro in 6.5.28.

Quote:
Jan 11 08:52:14 4A:holmes4 unix: WARNING: odsy board 0: ILLEGAL_OUT_FORMAT received
Jan 11 08:52:14 1A:holmes4 unix: ALERT: odsy board 0: Graphics error
Jan 11 08:52:14 7A:holmes4 unix: odsy flags: 0xffffffff82001100<GEN_LOCK_INTR,CFIFO_HW_FLAG,CTXSW_DONE,ILLEGAL_OUT_FORMAT>
Jan 11 08:52:14 7A:holmes4 unix: odsy status0: 0x10024280<CFIFO_ENABLED,CFIFO_LW,XRFIFO_LW,RASTER_SYNC_SRC=unset,CFIFO_SYNC_SRC=unset,DMA_SYNC_SRC=unset>
Jan 11 08:52:24 1A:holmes4 unix: ALERT: RAD thread held off for more than 32 mS
J

I grep hunted all of the Xscreensaver source for glDrawPixels but was surprised to find no occurances.

Still a bug lunking in the IRIX video drivers?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:07 am 

For the other Vpro users out there I have a theory I'm testing. I think only the Really Slick Screensavers (neko_rss) hacks are causing the Xserver crash. I've set the screensaver to flurry and been up 2 days so far. Here's hoping!

[b]Edit[\b]: It's been more than a week, which is *much* longer than the mean-time between crashes I was experiencing. Looks like the GL in the Really Slick Screensaver may be throwing V12 cards for a loop.