Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:04 pm 

Today Discreet announced the availability of Flame 9.5 on dual-core Linux workstations:

http://tinyurl.com/c6kjx

SGI's IRIX niche just keeps getting smaller and smaller. I guess Prism didn't offer much to Discreet over commodity Linux boxes.

Sure, the IRIX Flame systems will continue to be supported for years, but I seriously doubt many customers buying a new Flame system will choose IRIX over Linux at this point.

Sad, but there is an upside - hopefully this means we'll start to see some bigger post houses dumping their Tezros in the coming year!

-zolo

Post subject: Self Combustion
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:06 pm 

I had been told that this system would be on show in Melbourne at one of the conventions in December. It had to happed sooner or latter. I think it's interesting that Discreet/Autodesk look like they have once again chosen to go with a non SGI linux option.

I agree, It is a sad, sad day. This I think will be the final nail in the coffin for the IRIX platform in regards to Post Production. This now only leaves inferno on IRIX. Flint, Flame, Smoke are now evolving away from SGI hardware.

What does that leave now that is still being actively developed for the platform? Jaleo, Nuke, Piranha Cinema/HD. Is shake still available for IRIX of has it been killed?

I am will be interested how this affects the FFI being on linux vs. SGI hardware. It was often joked that the FFI systems had the best software dongles/locks in the industry & that was the machines they were attached to. I now wonder how many dodgy seats will soon be out there now that it can run on cheap generic PC hardware?

I guess that is one way of Discreet rebuilding their user-base.

Timberoz>Craig

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:43 am 

Inferno is moving to Linux too: http://www.fxguide.com/article313.html&mode=nested&order=0&thold=0

AFAIK Shake 4 is not available for Irix.

Nothing is being "actively developed" for Irix any more, it's just that some things are still supported on it while they move all their clients to Linux.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:04 am 

Well, now everyone can look forward to a spate of not-so-cleverly disguised warez questions in all of the post forums.

d00d, Linux roxx!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:50 am 

yes, that will also mean that discreet/ame will have to deal with a lot of piracy. also their "systems products" can now much easier be compared to other apps, since everything can run on the same hardware.
not to say that it wasn't a neccessary step to migrate from a doomed platform, but their products will lose some of their "high end flair". and isn't that in part what the whole FFI-market is about?

btw. what about the 12 bit visuals on the linux machines? do they use a special graphics hardware or are they now running inferno in 8 bits? :D

jaleo is dead as far as i know, it's been replaced by mistika. has nuke ever been publicly available on irix? i think it was d2-internal only. piranha has moved to linux as well, afaik. shake's final irix build is 3.5.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:50 am 

GIJoe wrote:
btw. what about the 12 bit visuals on the linux machines? do they use a special graphics hardware or are they now running inferno in 8 bits? :D

why not? as long as everything is dumb downed to 8 bits then who's to know or care?

hey i'm colorblind, but i still goto the movies! hardy harhar.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:57 am 

The Quadro cards can do 10 bit, and that's fine for most things. And of course they can run at 128-bit or float internally. Maybe Flame's been modified to render into pbuffers or something, it's about time it got some kind of float support.

Is it my imagination or does that translated .jp page on fxguide imply that Inferno will run on a 20-processor machine? I wonder what that is...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:34 am 

lewis wrote:
Is it my imagination or does that translated .jp page on fxguide imply that Inferno will run on a 20-processor machine? I wonder what that is...

with tiny AMD 64 inside judging by the case :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:02 pm 

Okay, Inferno is only going to Linux for the .jp market for now since they apparantly work in SD and don't need the monster graphics pipes of an Onyx. More interesting Irix vs. Linux info in the fxguide podcast here: http://www.fxguide.com/article313.html& ... =0&thold=0

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:05 am 

what does inferno offer over flame except for bandwidth/ability to work on footage beyond 2k? or: where's the sense in purchasing inferno for working exclusively on SD?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:27 am 

GIJoe wrote:
yes, that will also mean that discreet/ame will have to deal with a lot of piracy ....

Serves the bastards right. Sometimes I go to the electricity market and buy Adobe products for a buck just to give them away ... in fact, picked up a fresh copy of Autocad 2006 for three bucks (english version costs more) and gave it to a visitor two days ago. Eat my shorts, Autodesk :-)

( Two of my fave software companies, Adobe and Autocrap )

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:13 am 

GIJoe wrote:
what does inferno offer over flame except for bandwidth/ability to work on footage beyond 2k? or: where's the sense in purchasing inferno for working exclusively on SD?

Speed. Inferno runs on faster machines, previously to this on 8 CPU Onyx 350s with InfiniteReality 4 graphics. There are no feature differences between Flame and Inferno now, AFAIK.

Most places would find it hard to justify the expense of an Inferno purely for SD though. Maybe Japanese TV commercials are a lot more hectic, or something :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:18 pm 

lewis wrote:
Okay, Inferno is only going to Linux for the .jp market for now since they apparantly work in SD and don't need the monster graphics pipes of an Onyx.

exactly. it's kinda inferno-light.
Quote:
The system is designed to meet the specific platform performance and branding requirements of many Japanese post-production facilities...
... particularly for project-based commercials work.