Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:13 pm 

I am sort of continuing the question I had in the IRIX Software forum, the GCC problems on 6.5.17 topic here in the Getting Started forum since I have never setup an IRIX system to compile and I am either very confused or thick as a brick.

I have an Origin200 with 6.5.20m and would like to install gcc 3.2.2 from the SGI freeware site to be able to compile software. From the freeware site on gcc 3.2.2:

Quote:
This gcc requires the SGI back-end (assembler and linker) since the GNU back-end (binutils) doesn't yet support the new SGI ABIs. The SGI back end (including an assembler and linker supporting the n32 and 64 ABIs) plus all the bits and pieces needed for gcc (headers, libraries, runtime startup files, etc.) are included for free with any IRIX 6.5 distribution on the 2 CDs titled Development Foundation and Development Libraries (in other words you don't need to have the SGI IDO in order to use gcc.) In recent SGI compiler releases, the SGI assembler and linker are in the subsystem compiler_dev.sw.base. For older IRIX 6.x releases you can download the IRIX Development Foundation and Libraries from SGI Developer Central.

I have the full set of IRIX cds, including Development Foundation 1.1 and Development Libraries 1.1 and I have a couple of questions:
1.) When the requirements ask for the "SGI back end" exactly what componets from the Dev. Found. and Libs. disks do I need to install?
2.) As these are older versions of the Dev. Found. and Libs. disks, ver 1.1 and most componets seem to be geared toward MIPSPro 7.2, will the the "back end" componets on these disks be compatible with gcc 3.2.2?

Help on which componets to install and any tips to get started would be much appreciated.

BTW, I see there is a newer binary (gcc 3.3) on the Written Word:
ftp://ftp.thewrittenword.com/packages/b ... inst.tar.Z
Has any one tried this build?

Thank You,
Joe

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

chicago-joe wrote:
Help on which componets to install and any tips to get started would be much appreciated.

This page lists the subsystems needed:

http://freeware.sgi.com/Installable/gcc-3.2.2.html

compiler_dev
compiler_eoe
irix_dev

Make certain to have your overlay CDs available as these will need to be patched up to 6.5.x.

Quote:
BTW, I see there is a newer binary (gcc 3.3) on the Written Word:
ftp://ftp.thewrittenword.com/packages/b ... inst.tar.Z
Has any one tried this build?

I built gcc-3.3 from source myself; works great. SGI should have a tardist online sometime this month.

Code:
[Koyori:downloads/source/glame-1.0.1] neko 8% gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/freeware/lib/gcc-lib/mips-sgi-irix6.5/3.3/specs
Configured with: ./configure --prefix=/usr/freeware --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --enable-threads --enable-haifa --disable-shared
Thread model: single
gcc version 3.3

All Rights Reserved.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:09 pm 

Many thanks to nekonoko for the reply.

I installed the req. files and gcc 3.2.2 and wrote a simple "Hello" program as a test and used the command:
gcc -o hello hello.c
to compile. I get a file "hello" but when I try and execute this file from winterm, I get the error:
hello: Command not found.
This is an octane with 6.5.20f, I am working as su and winterm is using the tcsh shell.
Could this be an issue with n32 vs n64 libs? I read on the GCC website, under the manual for gcc 3.2.2, there is an option for MIPS computers.Do I need to be specific about this with the gcc command, or could this be an issue with tcsh shell?

Again, any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Joe

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:20 pm 

chicago-joe wrote:
to compile. I get a file "hello" but when I try and execute this file from winterm, I get the error:
hello: Command not found.

Is your $cwd in your path (not the greatest idea actually)? If not you must specify a valid path to your executable:

ex:

/home/user/compile/foo
~/compile/foo
./foo

Another thing to check is the file permissions.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:10 am 

RageX wrote:
Another thing to check is the file permissions.

This would be my suggestion. In the past when I compiled with f77, the output file would not have the execution bit set. Just chmod u+x file.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:31 am 

I had checked the paths and file permissions and they were as they should be and the file still would not execute.

I talked to the tech support people at SGI (very helpful) and they were kind enough to send me a Development Foundation 1.3 version disk. I uninstalled all the development and lib. files, restarted the computer, reinstalled from the DF v1.3 disk, reinstalled gcc 3.2.2, ran through the 6.5.20 overlays and now everything works fine. :)

I changed so many variables at one time there is no real way to say what the problem was but it would seem a good guess that it had to do with the newer files (versions?) on the Dev Foundation 1.3 disk or maybe the order I installed everything in?

Thanks for the ideas,

Joe

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:51 am 

I would believe it would have to do with the versions installed messing with the version of IRIX you have, you might have been able to fix the problem without the new CDs by messing around some more. However, it is good to hear you have everything working now.

I have personally compiled and used gcc-3.2.2 on the backends included with IDO 6.2, and am now in the process of building gcc-3.3 on 7.2 backends.

UPDATE: I would HIGHLY reccomend using gcc-3.3 or newer if you are willing to compile it your self. I'm not fully done but I noticed the code is significantly cleaner and no longer causes 20 warnings per source file (which is scary coming from the compiler's source own code).