Well known Indy MOD

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Shtoink

Well known Indy MOD

Unread postby Shtoink » Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:21 pm

I'm not sure how many of you have actually seen this done, but it does work out very well...

http://null-ptr.net/sgi-pics/Indy_R5k/internal-1.jpg

This is a shot of one of the Indys that I previously owned, but it shows the fan hack to make the fan work again if the one in the PSU fails to spin. I had set this one up to run off the 5v line because the 12v was a bit too loud for me. When originally got the machine the fan didn't work, so I tried to swap it out and it still didn't work. I talked to a friend of mine that had an Indy and had heard of that kind of thing happening, he told me that a common solution was to just hard wire it in to the 5v line.

Apearantly the Sony PSUs had a thermal sensor that would vary the speed of the fan depending upon the temp of the air being exhausted, and some of those failed to work at all. That was the one Indy that was the catalyst for my induction into SGI geekdom, but that's another story.

psergiu

Re: Well known Indy MOD

Unread postby psergiu » Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:19 am

Shtoink wrote: I had set this one up to run off the 5v line because the 12v was a bit too loud for me.

But isn't 5V too little ? In my PC tampering adventures in noticed that some 12V fans fail to start at 5V but at 7V they work just fine.

Quoting from http://www.7volts.com:
www.7volts.com wrote: How do you get 7 volts out of the 12 and 5 volts supplied by the Yellow Black Black Red Molex connector you ask?
You use the yellow 12v wire as the power connector to the fan and use the red 5v connector as the fan ground. The fan sees the potential difference between the 12v and the 5v so is run at 7 volts. Fans can be run at 5v but some will fail to start and air flow is low. 7v is a 40% improvement over 5v.

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:40 am

Those are PeeCees...

And the Panaflow fans that are used in the Indy PSUs work just fine on 7v. I also remeer trying that 7v deal on a PeeCee and never got it to work, so who knows. I can tell you that the 92mm Panaflows in the Indy PSU are very nice and have a great potential to move some air.

Something else you could do is put and inline variable voltage restrictor and have the little knob accessable from the outside of the case. Zalman ships one that's pretty nice with it new HSF kits. It's a POT, Haetsiink and a Voltage regulator on a tiny PCB. Fits inline with you standard fan connection. But that all depends on how into this little mod you want to get.

orionpi

Unread postby orionpi » Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:12 am

It seams to be working pretty well, posting this from the Indy in question. I would not recommend running it off of 5v with the XZ display, as it puts off lots of heat. The display gets corrupted if I leave the cover off on the other Indy w/ the XZ. And it is very quiet.

akimmet
Donor
Donor

The fans in indy power supplies *ALREADY* work!

Unread postby akimmet » Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:11 am

I happen to own 3 indys with sony PSUs, and they will spin up. Just not immeidiatley.

I usually have to wait about a half hour but it will eventually power on, at least thats what happens on all of my sony power supplies.

As for the nidec power supplys the fan runs as soon as power is applied.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”