Prism workstation is out!

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Antnee

Unread postby Antnee » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:49 am

Dubhthach wrote:Still the next version of Itanium is dual core and is pin compatible with those, so within 9months or so ye be able to upgrade your 2CPU Prism workstation 4CPU (2 x dual core)

Yeah, and apparently will have up to 26MB cache, as opposed to the 6MB max in the current generation. Will Prism be able to accept it though?

I just realised: Advanced Linux Environment = ALE. I can feel a Homer moment coming on... Mmmm, beeeer!

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:28 am

http://www.transitive.com/products.htm]

The software that will supposedly allow MIPS/IRIX binaries run on IA64/Linux
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:40 am

Antnee wrote:EEP! SATA HDDs and IDE DVD drive, a slimline LAPTOP drive at that. [shudders] What's that all about?

Maximizing their return on investment, aka cheap crap in an $8500 (base price) computer in a market where HP and Sun sell proven boxes with good support for 2/3 as much. Or less. This oughta be a real winner. Case looks nice though. Maybe SGI should go into selling aftermarket peecee cases.

Antnee

Unread postby Antnee » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:41 am

Erm, doesn't Prism come with software already to allow MIPS binaries to run on it? Or are you referring to running the same apps on a non-SGI IA64 machine?

hamei wrote:Maximizing their return on investment, aka cheap crap in an $8500 (base price) computer in a market where HP and Sun sell proven boxes with good support for 2/3 as much. Or less. This oughta be a real winner. Case looks nice though. Maybe SGI should go into selling aftermarket peecee cases.

I agree, it looks great, but it doesn't seem that long ago that we were discussing how SATA wasn't really any better than PATA at the moment weren't we? And you already know how I feel about slimline DVD drives! ;)

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:44 am

Antnee wrote:Erm, doesn't Prism come with software already to allow MIPS binaries to run on it?

Sure. Like the Indy came with software to allow Win32 binaries to run on it. And oh yeah, they really needed that cheap-ass flaky slimline DVD drive, what with the box being so tiny and all.

Antnee

Unread postby Antnee » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:48 am

hamei wrote:...oh yeah, they really needed that cheap-ass flaky slimline DVD drive, what with the box being so tiny and all.

Sarcasm doesn't suit you at all! There's a full size drive in the Tezro isn't there? Wonder how long it will be before people are trying to squeeze them into Prism too!

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:55 am

Antnee wrote:Sarcasm doesn't suit you at all!

Sorry :-) But at least Duesenberg went broke building expensive good stuff. This is just overpriced poop with a pretty paint job - exactly what you'd expect from a bunch of corporados who thought fifty million for an effing font was a good investment. Very discouraging.

Hmm. I wonder if you could run HP-UX on it ?

Antnee

Unread postby Antnee » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:59 am

hamei wrote:Hmm. I wonder if you could run HP-UX on it ?

Does that mean you're gonna buy one? ;) I think the fact is that those of us who really want SGI systems, will either have to put up with increasingly dated systems or get on the IA64 bandwagon. Don't think we have much choice do we?

Do you think SGI might consider releasing IRIX source so someone can have a go at porting it one day! :twisted:

GeneratriX

New Toy

Unread postby GeneratriX » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:21 am

Well;

I think the new SGI's box has very good specs, and by the way, I think it looks REALLY fantastic! ...I like it a lot! :)

...So, and I hate to say it against my IRIX/MIPS devotion/religion, the new box seems a really good candidate for many desktops, despites the price. I could be very happy indeed with OpenGL v1.5 and all these FPU torque.

SGI: Congratullations by the new son! ;)

Antnee

Unread postby Antnee » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:27 am

I like too. Shame it doesn't support 48-bit RGBA. Still think that's something of a backwards step, but hey, it's not like your eyes can see that many colours anyway! ;)

I just noticed this: http://www.sgi.com/products/visualizati ... vices.html

It mentions the IRIX® Implementation service:

"Get on the fast track to productivity. Includes IRIX software installation and configuration, disk/tape management, serial device connectivity, and a range of system administration services."

Now, why would that be on the Prism pages I wonder?

Tech^salvager

Unread postby Tech^salvager » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:04 am

Looks very nice tell you that. /me wonders, probably wouldn't.

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:51 am

More shots, see how it dwarfes the 23" LCD... For some reason, they're pushing CFD visualization quite a bit!

Image Image

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:00 am

Dubhthach wrote:http://www.transitive.com/products.htm]
The software that will supposedly allow MIPS/IRIX binaries run on IA64/Linux

Hmmm. Looking at this page, if this works well, it may be just as likely to bite SGI in the ass as not. One reason to buy an SGI machine is the fact that some software only runs on Irix. Given that a Sun Opteron flat kicks the Itanic's ass - at least for Pro/E, documented over at Orlaf Corten's - it's quite possible that a lot of people would rather run Transitived Irix on an HP at 1/3 the cost, or on a proven Opteron from a fairly dependable supplier like Sun rather than crappy-ass Gnome-Linux (check out what Jorg Schilling has to say about Alan Cox) on a box from a company with a history of hostility to its customers. In fact, IF it works well, that's a possible future for Irix-lovers ...

Gonna be interesting. Can we say VW320 deja vu ? :cry:
Last edited by hamei on Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:12 am

hamei wrote:Can we say VW320 deja vu ? :-)

Yes we can, sadly...

SiliconBunny

Unread postby SiliconBunny » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:37 am

unixmuseum wrote:More shots, see how it dwarfes the 23" LCD... For some reason, they're pushing CFD visualization quite a bit!

I was recently up at the BAR HQ near Silverstone. They have a lot of nice kit for CFD work. They were saying that the Onyx 3s they have didn't give them the performance they needed.

The CFD crowd will be big customers for this sort of kit, especially given the sort of insane bandwidth it can handle.

Cheers,
TOM
--
"Tell them we are not Gods, but SysAdmins, which is the next best thing,"

Return to “SGI: Discussion”