MPlayer 1.0pre5 tardist

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
schleusel
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:49 am
Location: NRW, Germany
Contact:

MPlayer 1.0pre5 tardist

Unread postby schleusel » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:53 pm

Hi all!

alright.. i've uploaded a MPlayer 1.0pre5 tardist: http://www.kanera.de/irix/test/MPlayer-1.0pre5.tardist

the two most interesting facts first:

- contains dexters impressive MIPS optimizations to libavcodec idct, significantly increasing codec performance of the most common codecs (mpeg1/2/4, sorenson svq3..
see viewtopic.php?t=2976 for the whole story :-)
- contains vegacs vo_sgi video out plugin providing several different rendering paths for the optimal display on most SGIs. It runs single or multi threaded depending on the number of CPUs it finds. It has defaults set for the most common machines (O2 CRM, Indigo2/Octane Impact, Octane/Fuel/Tezro VPro) but can be configured very flexibly see the included /opt/mplayer/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf for the gory details :-)

This is all work in progress - so please keep those critics, praises, suggestions coming!

If you happen to have a machine vo_sgi has not yet defaults for (RE, IR.. Ultimate Vision?) please go through the different settings and let vegac know what defaults would fit best

some less spectacular facts:

- compiled with MipsPro 7.4.2m and heavy optimizations (see the release notes for the $CFLAGS)
- contains mips4 and mips3 distributions
- all external libs are linked statically, hence there are no prereqs
- tested on IRIX 6.5.20 to make sure it isn't dependent on the libc changes after 6.5.21
- installs to /opt/mplayer
- enabled features:
Input: ftp network edl tv live.com matroska(internal) dvdread
Codecs: xvid libavcodec real faad2(external) libmpeg2 liba52 mp3lib libvorbis libmad gif
Audio output: sgi nas sdl mpegpes(file)
Video output: sdl gif89a jpeg mpegpes(file) opengl x11 xover tga
- opt subsystem contains the release notes, original source code, distribution files and patches
- includes an mplayer.conf default config file with many irix related comments

one remaining note: if you have a ~/.mplayer/config file overriding the default mplayer.conf and you want to use vo_sgi, make sure you don't have any -fv format=rgb24 lines in there (unless you want to force external software colorspace conversions).

that should sum it up, check the release notes and the mplayer.conf for more detailed information..

Have fun!

Timo

unixmuseum
Posts: 2783
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Unread postby unixmuseum » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:34 pm

Man, this is nice! Quite a difference in speed and working functionnality from the previous releases! EXCELLENT JOB, GUYS!
Now, any chances of getting gmplayer (i.e. building the gui stuff?)

User avatar
Hakimoto
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:29 am
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan, Asia
Contact:

Unread postby Hakimoto » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:01 pm

Go schleusel go! Nice work. Will be trying that on Indy and Octane tomorrow.

User avatar
dexter1
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2062
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:57 am
Location: Voorburg, The Netherlands
Contact:

Unread postby dexter1 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:34 am

Before you try that Hakim, note that Newport (XL) and Express (XZ/Elan/Extreme) are poorly supported. I've added autodetection and inserted abgr_EXT which you need for fast glDrawPixels stuff on these old gfx hardware, but it's far from perfect.
I'll be attempting a reinstall of my I2 R4K4 Extreme and will test some mplayer stuff on that rig. So maybe the R8000 PowerIndigo2 Extreme will finally have a killer app :)

Brombear
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:42 am
Location: Frankfurt (Rhein-Main Area) / Germany
Contact:

Unread postby Brombear » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:06 am

Cool thing,

I will try it out on my octane today. But I have to admit, I am not much of a video watcher. Can somebody provide some links to movies which might be a problem because of lacking cpu power ? I'd like to test if my cpu is sufficient for it.

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans

User avatar
Hakimoto
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:29 am
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan, Asia
Contact:

Unread postby Hakimoto » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:34 am

Thanks for info dex. I'm just curious to see what kind of performance I will get on my non-texture Octane as well. If it's enough for previewing, hell then it's good enough.

I guess one day, with my dream Octane2 (1467 board, 2 x R14k 600, 8 GB RAM, V12, DVO, 3 x73 GB, DiffSCSI and so forth) it will be good. But first have to save the money for the machine... ;-)

Brombear
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:42 am
Location: Frankfurt (Rhein-Main Area) / Germany
Contact:

Unread postby Brombear » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:47 am

Hey what a lousy configuration, you missed the dual head stuff completely :twisted:

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans

schleusel
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:49 am
Location: NRW, Germany
Contact:

Unread postby schleusel » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:27 am

unixmuseum wrote:Now, any chances of getting gmplayer (i.e. building the gui stuff?)


hmm, i've played around with the gtk frontend some time ago and found it to be very buggy and umaintained. Personally I think the control via OSD and the cursor keys is very convenient so I didn't bother any further. You are not the first one to ask for it lately though, so I guess i'll have to give it a try again :-)
This will mean yet another subselection in the package though (this time with gtk etc. prereqs) as i'm not willing to sacrifice the handy static main eoe for it..

I guess this is the point where someone should jump in, screaming "Oh! Let me write a cute motif frontend for this!" :-P

Brombear wrote:Can somebody provide some links to movies which might be a problem because of lacking cpu power ? I'd like to test if my cpu is sufficient for it.


things I consider "heavy" at the current level of codec performance:

1. mpeg2 at DVD level bitrates.

Just get some .vob from a DVD to try this. For example the one I have on my disk for testing currently is quite typical:
VIDEO: MPEG2 720x576 (aspect 3) 25.000 fps 7500.0 kbps (937.5 kbyte/s)

with multithreading in vo_sgi enabled my Dual r12k-300 V6 Octane handles this quite well now

2. "the beast"

http://www.kanera.de/WarIII_Trailer1024.avi
vegac came up with this one as a testfile at some point :-) For an xvid its quite nasty:
VIDEO: [XVID] 1024x468 16bpp 24.000 fps 1503.5 kbps (183.5 kbyte/s)

again, multithreaded the dual 300 handles it "almost" troublefree now, i.e. it only drops between 5 and 10% of the frames. So the same machine will handle any more typical divx/xvid without any trouble. Even highest quality DVD rips shouldn't be heavier than this one..

judging from the overall CPU load I see on the two 300s, I assume that a single r12k 400 Octane should almost be on par here, didn't test this though. Note that a r12k-400 O2 will still be significantly slower though - even with the fancy things vo_sgi does in hardware on CRM.. :-(

Hakimoto wrote:I'm just curious to see what kind of performance I will get on my non-texture Octane as well.

that should actually do quite well. The glDrawPixel/glPixelZoom route isn't quite as fast as textures (and doesn't look as nice) but it still is LOADS faster than any software scaling approach..

Brombear wrote:Hey what a lousy configuration, you missed the dual head stuff completely

What dual head stuff? If you mean its not Xinerama aware, thats quite possible. The XFree Xinerama implementation is quite different from the one of Xsgi. Didn't look into this yet and don't have any Xinerama machine here. Since you seem to have one, what does it behave like? I suppose it will just scale the video across all displays when you switch to fullscreen? :-)

Brombear
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:42 am
Location: Frankfurt (Rhein-Main Area) / Germany
Contact:

Unread postby Brombear » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:44 am

schleusel wrote:
1. mpeg2 at DVD level bitrates.

Just get some .vob from a DVD to try this. For example the one I have on my disk for testing currently is quite typical:
VIDEO: MPEG2 720x576 (aspect 3) 25.000 fps 7500.0 kbps (937.5 kbyte/s)

with multithreading in vo_sgi enabled my Dual r12k-300 V6 Octane handles this quite well now


Sorry, I am not a dvd type of guy, so I can't test on the fly.

schleusel wrote:2. "the beast"

http://www.kanera.de/WarIII_Trailer1024.avi
vegac came up with this one as a testfile at some point :-) For an xvid its quite nasty:
VIDEO: [XVID] 1024x468 16bpp 24.000 fps 1503.5 kbps (183.5 kbyte/s)

again, multithreaded the dual 300 handles it "almost" troublefree now, i.e. it only drops between 5 and 10% of the frames. So the same machine will handle any more typical divx/xvid without any trouble. Even highest quality DVD rips shouldn't be heavier than this one..

judging from the overall CPU load I see on the two 300s, I assume that a single r12k 400 Octane should almost be on par here, didn't test this though. Note that a r12k-400 O2 will still be significantly slower though - even with the fancy things vo_sgi does in hardware on CRM.. :-(


Hmm, I get this output

Code: Select all

Playing /tmp/WarIII_Trailer1024.avi.
Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)    AVI: Missing video stream!? Contact the author, it may be a bug :(

schleusel wrote:
Brombear wrote:Hey what a lousy configuration, you missed the dual head stuff completely

What dual head stuff? If you mean its not Xinerama aware, thats quite possible. The XFree Xinerama implementation is quite different from the one of Xsgi. Didn't look into this yet and don't have any Xinerama machine here. Since you seem to have one, what does it behave like? I suppose it will just scale the video across all displays when you switch to fullscreen? :-)


Sorry, you got me wrong. I was just pointing out that the mentioned dream could be increased :) My personal octane is only a single head V10

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans

schleusel
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:49 am
Location: NRW, Germany
Contact:

Unread postby schleusel » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:56 am

Brombear wrote:Hmm, I get this output

Code: Select all

Playing /tmp/WarIII_Trailer1024.avi.
Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)    AVI: Missing video stream!? Contact the author, it may be a bug :(



huh, that shouldn't happen. Are you sure you fetched it completely?

Brombear wrote:Sorry, you got me wrong. I was just pointing out that the mentioned dream could be increased :) My personal octane is only a single head V10


oh, err, oubviously.. sorry, this wasn't my brightest moment :-P

Brombear
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:42 am
Location: Frankfurt (Rhein-Main Area) / Germany
Contact:

Unread postby Brombear » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:32 am

Maybe I overlooked something ?

Code: Select all

[ms/tmp] % cd /tmp
[/tmp] % wget http://www.kanera.de/WarIII_Trailer1024.avi
--16:28:13--  http://www.kanera.de/WarIII_Trailer1024.avi
           => `WarIII_Trailer1024.avi'
Auflösen des Hostnamen »www.kanera.de«.... fertig.
Verbindungsaufbau zu www.kanera.de[131.220.60.98]:80... verbunden.
HTTP Anforderung gesendet, warte auf Antwort... 200 OK
Länge: 29,786,206 [video/x-msvideo]

100%[=====================================>] 29,786,206   223.93K/s    ETA 00:00

16:30:23 (223.93 KB/s) - »WarIII_Trailer1024.avi« gespeichert [29786206/29786206]


[/tmp] % cd /opt/mplayer/bin
[mplayer/bin] % mplayer /tmp/WarIII_Trailer1024.avi
MPlayer 1.0pre5 - MIPSpro Compilers: Version 7.4.2m (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team

CPU: SGI MIPS
Reading config file /opt/mplayer/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf
Reading config file /usr/people/ms/.mplayer/config
Reading /usr/people/ms/.mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open '/usr/people/ms/.mplayer/
codecs.conf': No such file or directory
Reading /opt/mplayer/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: 73 audio & 180 video codecs
font: can't open file: /usr/people/ms/.mplayer/font/font.desc
Font /opt/mplayer/share/mplayer/font/font.desc loaded successfully! (206 chars)
Using usleep() timing
Can't open input config file /usr/people/ms/.mplayer/input.conf: No such file or
directory
Can't open input config file /opt/mplayer/etc/mplayer/input.conf: No such file or
 directory
Falling back on default (hardcoded) input config

Playing /tmp/WarIII_Trailer1024.avi.
Cache fill:  0.98% (81920 bytes)    AVI: Missing video stream!? Contact the autho
r, it may be a bug :(


Exiting... (End of file)


Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans

schleusel
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:49 am
Location: NRW, Germany
Contact:

Unread postby schleusel » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:03 am

Brombear wrote:Maybe I overlooked something ?

whoops, sorry. Checking size and md5sum it turned out that the file on the server was corrupt. Moved it away now. Currently uploading it again..
Now i only have to find out what caused this..

User avatar
lewis
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:30 pm
Location: london
Contact:

Unread postby lewis » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:39 am

schleusel wrote:Personally I think the control via OSD and the cursor keys is very convenient


Does the OSD work with vo_sgi, though?

schleusel
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:49 am
Location: NRW, Germany
Contact:

Unread postby schleusel » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:13 am

schleusel wrote:Currently uploading it again..

done. Same URL.

lewis wrote:Does the OSD work with vo_sgi, though?

yup, its supported in all modes of vo_sgi. Looks a bit blocky with drawpixels and tends to flicker a bit with multithreaded, but still.. :-)

User avatar
Hakimoto
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:29 am
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan, Asia
Contact:

Unread postby Hakimoto » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:19 am

Lewis, yes, OSD works fine with vo_sgi.

Schleusel, some results:

On my SI Octane, Dual 195 MHz, 6.5.25, 512 MB it plays very nicely in a window at the original res. I tried a relatively low resolution DVD rip and one with higher (400 x 300 and 700 x 400 or something). Both play fine in a window, but the larger one will do heavy framedrop when going fullscreen. The smaller one is ok though. It's a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR improvement from what was there before.

On my girlfriend's 24bit 128 MB 6.5.22 R5k 180 SC Indy it will play in a window, full CPU load, audio and video in sync from what the output tells me, but no video visible. Only the background of 4dwm and black changing. I don't know why that is! Any ideas?

I used vo_sgi:pixeldraw:mt:softcs on the octane and the same on the Indy minus mt.

HTH


Return to “SGI: Video”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest