maya 6 is out

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
foetz

maya 6 is out

Unread postby foetz » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:31 pm

including irix version ;-)

Onyx_RE2

Unread postby Onyx_RE2 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:47 pm

I can't believe this......
I haven't even started reading the books from Maya 5 yet!!!!

Cory5412

Unread postby Cory5412 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:18 pm

I have heard of and seen a "Personal learning Edition" for Mac OS X, is this available for the IRIX version as well?

colin

Unread postby colin » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:40 pm

From the "what's new in Maya 6" page:
Performance improvements – Maya 6 has been optimized throughout. For example: the Smooth Proxy is up to 18 times faster, and Subdivision Surface performance is up to 8 times faster.

I wonder if this is just a marketing bullet item or if the whole application has really been sped up. I'm looking forward to hearing Maya 6 vs Maya 5 (or even Maya 4.5 and 4.0) performance reports from IRIX users. In theory, Alias could have used the latest MIPSpro compilers and gotten a lot of performance help and advice from SGI...

I doubt they'll make an IRIX version of the Personal Learning Edition... but I suppose its worth asking for.

whiter

Unread postby whiter » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:26 am

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?

assyrix

Unread postby assyrix » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:47 am

They have to keep up with discreet (max is now at version 6 as well) and actually doing a really good job at that. The loser will be XSI since its price, supported platforms, update frequency, and tech support fees are ludicrous. Even though I am using a lot of their products (Media Illusion, 3D) I will be glad once they are gone.

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:27 am

well... imho, they and discreet have turned their apps into bloated, monolithic monsters that are no longer really structured and "to the point" but instead confusing and inconsistent. also, whenever you have made your self comfortable with it, adopted to the new scripting and compatibility issues, next version arrives. same procedure as every year...

i'd say XSI is the clear winner so far. it's gaining marketshare, they have lowered the price, adressed a lot of issues and started to offer crossgrades - and 4.0 is soon to be released.

colin: the older maya is the better it will likey run. 4.0 maybe is a good compromise between features, script-compatibility and performance.
when alias speaks of performance improvements in release 6 they probably adress only those functions, users had complained about. this is not an indicator for a general speed-up of the whole app.

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:25 am

There really isn't a giant improvement in anything, it looks like more of a v5.5 than anything else.

The only thing I saw was a tighter intergreation of MentalRay in to Maya and and improvements to the MentalRay renderer it's self. There is supposed to be better calucations of caustics and other numerous effects, and it's "supposed" to be faster then it was before.

It's possible there could be other things that are going on under the hood, but that's just from what I have read about so far.

On another note, I have been doing some looking into another renderer for Maya that is totally blowing away MR, IMHO. Turtle is extremely fast and with a few clicks allows you to setup and configure all the cool effects.

87Porsche

Unread postby 87Porsche » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:37 am

Turtle looks pretty slick. If only there was an IRIX version.

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Wed May 05, 2004 5:14 am

I noticed it says Maya 6 doesn't support hardware rendering under IRIX. Is this something new or is that the case with 5.5 as well?

BTW -- SGI owned Alias while 6 was being developed so what gives?

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed May 05, 2004 10:34 am

Maya 6 doesn't support hardware rendering under IRIX

i guess it belongs to the hardware render feature from within the render options window.
the hardware render buffer should be there as always.

Is this something new or is that the case with 5.5 as well?

afaik there never was a v5.5.

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Wed May 05, 2004 11:39 pm

Nope, there never was a 5.5, that was just a snide coment from me.

There is an IRIX, Linux, Mac and Windows release of Maya 6. It looks as though it's still just Maya Complete for Mac, too. :? I can't see any reason why OSX and the hardware it runs on being good enough to run all the bells and whistles from the Unlimited variety.

As far as hardware rendering, that wasn't available in verson 4, 4.5 or 5 either. That's one thing that left me confised as well. It seems as though the sgi hardware was meant for this sort of thing, so why not exploit it?

Go figure...

For new things in 6, there are a some controls in Mental Ray that allow for better use of HDRI and they finally unhid a few options that control settings in your Final Gather. I also noticed that they niow have thier own Hair system built in. No idea how it stacks up to Shave, but it still better than just a plain shader or Paint Effects that are difficult to animate.

One thing I did find frustating is that the bonus tools for 6 doesn't have any of the shaders that are available in the bonus tools for 5. So if you have anything that you used the default shaders and want to import, it could be incomplete.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed May 12, 2004 10:47 am

hello,

where did you get the bonustools?
did you test maya6 on irix?

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Wed May 12, 2004 11:11 pm

Bous tools can be found here.

colin

Unread postby colin » Thu May 13, 2004 1:12 am

Shtoink wrote:I also noticed that they niow have thier own Hair system built in. No idea how it stacks up to Shave, but it still better than just a plain shader or Paint Effects that are difficult to animate.

Shave is no longer sold for IRIX.

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”