Realsoft 3D Demo for IRIX

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:03 pm

my :0.1 is SSI, and :0.0 is MXE. perhaps that's the difference.

oops the :0.1 is SE, not SSI.
Last edited by skywriter on Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

nvukovlj

Unread postby nvukovlj » Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:03 am

I used to have MXI but since one of the TRAMS died taking away the card with it, I got an SSI. Works fine with that as well...
Must be something else in the setup...

Nik.

wolflord

Unread postby wolflord » Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:10 am

skywriter wrote:my :0.1 is SSI, and :0.0 is MXE. perhaps that's the difference.

I didn't think you could have an SSI and MXE installed at the same time. More because of heat than anything really. That and I've never heard of anyone with and SSI & MXE or something similar.
WolfLord - :4D70G: :Octane2:

"Two Minus Three Equals Negative Fun" - Troy McClure

nvukovlj

Unread postby nvukovlj » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:44 am

Realsoft have released an update to Realsoft3D v4.5 SP1 for IRIX.

You can get the latest revision from here: http://www.realsoft.com/updates/irix/packages/realsoft3d-26.43-beta-irix-mips.sh

Some changes with this revision:

It is finally n32 and is now mips4 only.
It has Michael Schmelling's plugins included with it. Information about these plugins can be obtained from: http://www.schmeling-consulting.de/

The new revision should render approx. 10% quicker than the old. You can use the benchmark scene available from their site to check this out, although for the demo version you'll need to decrease the res to 300x300
http://www.realsoft.fi/updates/benchmark

During the setup in the User Information -dialog just type "demo" in the
serial number box.

As I have mentioned earlier in the thread, since I am involved with maintaining the Irix version, you can direct any issues you find with it to me, however, I would also encourage anyone who likes the software to purchase it, as you get it for much less than the Windows version and keep the platform supported.

Nik.[/url]

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:34 am

[quote="nvukovlj You can use the benchmark scene available from their site to check this out, although for the demo version you'll need to decrease the res to 300x300 [/url]

There's one of the problems with benchmarking. Since SGI's and peecees have different strengths, the SGI comes off worse than it should using peecee paramaters. Shouldn't an Octane's strengths show up more in BIG scenes, moving lots of data around ? I see where peecee people are having a lot of trouble now using memory over two gigs ... while the Octane and HP workstations are quite happy with 8. But since the usual benchmarks don't test those scenarios, we come off looking like dodos ... There are areas where a benchmark that wasn't peecee-driven would show that there are things Intel boxes flat-out CAN'T do. Small sized scenes would not show off an Octane's strengths, imo. (I was going to say it's better than nothing - but is it, really ? For unbiased people sure, but put these results into a Wintel-fanatic's hands and we'd be better off without ANY benchmarks.)

nvukovlj

Unread postby nvukovlj » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:33 am

What I meant was that you can download the scene if you wish to benchmark the old version (26.41) against this new one (26.43).
I noticed an approx. 10% speed increase.

No mention of a PC here...

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:26 am

nvukovlj wrote:No mention of a PC here...

Sorry, I'm just so sick of the benchmark thingy, what with every Intel-owner in the Western Hemisphere using
bogus benchmarks to "prove" their tiddly little piece of crap is "superior to that old SGI garbage ...'"

You're right, benchmarks certainly have their place. It's just that they are so easily misused .... how about the
Iges import feature ? Do they need a little encouragement ? Or some help ? I've got igeses coming out the
wazoo around here ...

nvukovlj

Unread postby nvukovlj » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:45 am

hamei wrote: .... how about the
Iges import feature ? Do they need a little encouragement ? Or some help ? I've got igeses coming out the
wazoo around here ...

I'm not sure as to why the Iges import/export plugin isn't available.
It is however, not free on either Windows or Linux, so I guess they would like to know that there is an interest in it before they make it available.

I guess, if this plugin would make you buy the Irix version of Realsoft3D, then my suggestion would be to contact them.
I'm sure that they will consider it, as they are not a big company, and are fairly responsive.

If you look through this thread, there is at least one e-mail address you could use to contact them.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:10 pm

nvukovlj wrote:If you look through this thread, there is at least one e-mail address you could use to contact them.

Before I do that : At the risk of looking stewpid, I downloaded the demo. It appears to be one gigantic shell script ? Any hints on how to run this before I totally destroy the file in 'experiment' mode ?

nvukovlj

Unread postby nvukovlj » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:56 am

Two options (as root):

1. sh ./realsoft3d-26.43-beta-irix-mips.sh

2. chmod +x the file. Execute it.

- This will start the installer which is Tk/Tcl based.

The main limitation in the demo is that the rendering resolution is limited (I think to 640x480, but I could be wrong)

Nik.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:21 am

nvukovlj wrote:Two options (as root):

1. sh ./realsoft3d-26.43-beta-irix-mips.sh.

thanks, worked like a charm. Seemed a little unusual as a distribution but what the heck ...

now ....

Gort 10% realsoft3d
1676:/usr/opt/realsoft/bin/Realsoft3D: rld: Fatal Error: Cannot Successfully map soname 'libr3wid2.so' under any of the filenames /usr/local/lib/libr3wid2.so:/usr/local/thunderbird/components/libr3wid2.so:/usr/lib32/libr3wid2.so:/usr/lib32/internal/libr3wid2.so:/lib32/libr3wid2.so:/opt/lib32/libr3wid2.so:

I'll probably figure out why when I have a little time, but .... if you're involved with the porting, it's always nice when a program installs all its parts on the first go-round. For a demo, what the heck .. if I were paying $300 I'd probably be a little irked at this. I didn't install it to the default location so that may be the problem, but if you're going to give people that choice, the installer should be aware of itself ?

nvukovlj

Unread postby nvukovlj » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:57 am

Tried installing to a directory different to the default.

I can't reproduce this problem.

I've contacted you in a PM to follow-up on this anyway...

Nik.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:48 am

nvukovlj wrote:Tried installing to a directory different to the default.

I can't reproduce this problem.

I've contacted you in a PM to follow-up on this anyway...

Nik.

It may have been a combination of several things I did ... running now. It's well worth downloading and looking at, for anyone who is curious. A few more quirks which I'll pm you about tomorrow morn nvukovlj, if that's okay ....

nvukovlj

Unread postby nvukovlj » Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:37 pm

Could anyone who has an Octane/Octane2 with VPro gfx card and either IRIX 6.5.17 or 6.5.22 and above, and has a few minutes, please download and try the latest Realsoft3D (link to the download is a few messages above) ?

I'm trying to work out if what I am seeing is a bug in Realsoft3D, or is more related to a version of IRIX.

When you start the program, does the main view window look normal, or is it in multiple colours ? Likewise, the leftmost window should be white colour - is it white on your machine ?

What happens on switching to OpenGL - button on the right side that looks like a grey boulder

Nik.

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:13 pm

nvukovlj wrote:Could anyone who has an Octane/Octane2 with VPro gfx card and either IRIX 6.5.17 or 6.5.22 and above, and has a few minutes, please download and try the latest Realsoft3D (link to the download is a few messages above) ?

Octane2 V10, 6.5.24... Dodwnloaded and installed, had to put /usr/local/realsoft3d/lib in LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get the "rld: Fatal Error: Cannot Successfully map soname 'libr3wid2.so'" taken care of

nvukovlj wrote:When you start the program, does the main view window look normal, or is it in multiple colours ?

Multiple colors...
nvukovlj wrote:Likewise, the leftmost window should be white colour - is it white on your machine ?

Pure yellow...

nvukovlj wrote:What happens on switching to OpenGL - button on the right side that looks like a grey boulder

The graphics window shows up as it should be, no more patchwork...

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”