Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:28 am 

I found this topic / flame war about the possible 'new' Panther interface rather interesting and thought I would post it here: http://www.macslash.org/articles/03/03/28/0429245.shtml
Personaly, I don't have any problems with Aqua, and I bet this is just another rumor, but I know there are Mac users here (including my self), so I'd like to see what you guys have to say about it. Dispite whatever faults you can draw up about OS X's usability or interface, window resizing speed is about the most annoying thing for me (the genie affect looks neat, but it's pretty useless and you should be able to disable it; same with the 'scale' effect).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:05 am 

I'm someone who doesn’t like all that fanciness on my screen, OSX seems to turn me off. I'm an owner of a NeXTStation, and those are great to work with, unless your trying to use the broken compiler or don't mind the clock app leaking memory every second... Anyway, the UI was very clean and easy to use, and the widgets were standardized and did what was expected.

OSX from what I experienced is more cluttered, and they screwed up the purpose of the dock. The plasticy icons also bother me, but I can live with those. I just wish they could bring back the tear off menus and the old dock. OSX is much better than I expected, and takes many of the best features of NEXTSTEP, like the self-contained app folders, but it just isn't as good as the original to me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:54 am 

Personally, it's OS X and Aqua that made me interested in Mac's again. The Aqua look wows people and catches their attention. Personally, I like the "bright and cheery" approach to it.

One of my biggest complaints with most themes for most systems/window managers is that every makes these dark, DARK themes, that look almost morbid and sad. I don't want working on my computer all day to be a depressing experience, especially seeing as I spend 12+ hours a day on a computer...

All that being said, I HIGHLY doubt that Apple would do away with Aqua so suddenly like that...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

vegac wrote:
All that being said, I HIGHLY doubt that Apple would do away with Aqua so suddenly like that...

I agree ... Mac OS X is too new to be making huge sweeping changes like that ... it would only annoy developers and users alike.

All Rights Reserved.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:10 am 

akimmet wrote:
I'm someone who doesn’t like all that fanciness on my screen, OSX seems to turn me off. I'm an owner of a NeXTStation, and those are great to work with, unless your trying to use the broken compiler or don't mind the clock app leaking memory every second... Anyway, the UI was very clean and easy to use, and the widgets were standardized and did what was expected.

OSX from what I experienced is more cluttered, and they screwed up the purpose of the dock. The plasticy icons also bother me, but I can live with those. I just wish they could bring back the tear off menus and the old dock. OSX is much better than I expected, and takes many of the best features of NEXTSTEP, like the self-contained app folders, but it just isn't as good as the original to me.

Sorry about that, I live in the past alot...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:38 pm 

Here's the top complaint I hear on Aqua:

Quote:
It's too bright--is there anyway to turn the white down?

This illustrates one of the fundamental problems with Apple's approach. There are no true options. You can have a bright white interface with blue accents, or you can have a bright white interface with grey accents. You can pick what colour to use for highlighted text, but have no control over the colour of the text or the font used in windows.

I routinely run my TIBook screen at one-third to one-half brightness. This destroys the colour fidelity, so I elevate to full when I'm working on things graphical. I run the OpSys interfaces that provide options (WinXP/Linux WMs) with medium grey or darker colours to reduce the eye strain I get when looking at vast swathes of white and light grey. There are penalties for doing this, of course--most icons and interface elements expect a light background, and while some progress has been made, it's not perfect.

My preferences are not representative of most computer users, but nonetheless the complete lack of effective options provided by Aqua is disappointing. Interface paradigms should not be maintained with such rigidity in a personal computing environment. I would welcome the addition of a brushed metal interface option to the next version of Mac OS X, but only if it is an option. The error of one-size-fits-all interfaces is compounded by making sweeping changes to them with no provision for opting out.

The lack of options is one of the most frustrating things about computing on a Mac. Apparently the "think different" slogan doesn't apply to interface design choices.